Coral Vue Hydros

MarquiseO's "I love Anthias and SPS" Tank (New Anthias Post#120)

ReviloM

Recent FTS

9737308741_857dc57bd2_c.jpg

JULY 2013

9186870473_c344be19ea_z.jpg

Tank

8954844079_fb892b8b8c_z.jpg8954844503_803284bb3c_z.jpg8954844339_a4df085685_z.jpg8954844781_049af6aa67_z.jpg8954844675_14b5727a75_z.jpg

65 Gallon Rimless 32x24x20 10mm Starfire Glass 3-sides w/ 29 Gallons Sump

Equipment

Skimmer: SCA-302 Protein skimmer
Flow: 2 Vortech MP10s
Lighting: Ecotech Radions Gen 2
Reactor: NextReef MR1, MR1 Shorty
Sand or Barebottom: Barebottom
Controller: DA ReefKeerper Elite Titanium w/ Net
Return Pump: PH3500 Subwater Pump (Came with tank)

Filtration: Biopellets, GFO

Sump: NextReef 20 Sump

Fish

(2) Fathead Sunburst Anthias (Will be delivered soon)

(2) Sunset Anthias (Will be delivered soon)

(2) Ignitus Anthias(M&F)

(1) Bicolor Anthias(F)

(2) Ventralis Anthias (M&F)

(2) Randall's Anthias(M&F)

9735201241_c297932f38_z.jpg
9739452916_d40d1229da_z.jpg
9739454936_5518f322bb_z.jpg

Corals

Info coming Soon

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a great setup. I have the sca-303 skimmer on my 120 and it works great. I am heavily stocked with around 15 fish and lots of coral and that thing pulls out some gunk. I just emptied my full 2 Litre bottle of scum yesterday.

Sounds like a great setup. I have the sca-303 skimmer on my 120 and it works great. I am heavily stocked with around 15 fish and lots of coral and that thing pulls out some gunk. I just emptied my full 2 Litre bottle of scum yesterday.

That's great to know about the skimmer! Do you use their return pump as well?

No. I got an eheim 1262 locally for quite cheap. The skimmer is quality built and decently quiet. It's definitely quieter than my old reef octopus nwb 110 that I had on my old 57 gallon setup. Your skimmer will definitely pull out a lot from a tank that size. I have almost 140 gallons of water

No. I got an eheim 1262 locally for quite cheap. The skimmer is quality built and decently quiet. It's definitely quieter than my old reef octopus nwb 110 that I had on my old 57 gallon setup. Your skimmer will definitely pull out a lot from a tank that size. I have almost 140 gallons of water

Ok. Great! Also, with this build cycling of the tank won't be needed because I am currently preparing to seed the new tank with beneficial bacteria. I have a plastic tub with live rock in it which I dose zeobak in every other day. I also added some ceramics and some heavy duty porous sponges that were cut into cubes in there as well. The sponge cubes and ceramics will be placed in the sump for about 2-3 weeks then be removed.

New life spectrum small size and some cyclipeeze will do the trick and not be crazy expensive. Anthias eat a lot and often. Just make sure to not pollute your tank with too much fish or food. Feed 3 times a day if possible. My anthias have done well eatinf once a day but they really thrive on more.

Prepare to spend some $$$ on fish food!

I already have the two listed harems. I have had them for a month or so. I feed them mysid shrimp($4.95) and NLS pellets (I think $5.50). I feed once a day.

Mr. Microscope

Cool concept for a tank! Can you post some pics of your frags? Looking forward to more. Subscribed!

Cool build. I'll be following along. What kind of radion will you use and how many?

Ecotech Radion Gen 2; as of right now it is just one. I will have to order another one. I haven't decided yet on the pros. I was thinking for the money it's not worth it because I can make small led spotlights similar to http://www.marinedepot.com/Digital_Aquatics_MLC_Pod_LED_Nocturnal_Blue_Accessories_for_Moon_Light_Fixtures-Digital_Aquatics-DA1391-FILTFIMLAC-DA1393-vi.html. I'm pretty sure I can buy some violet LEDs and put it in that ML casing and use it with my RKL controller.

Cool concept for a tank! Can you post some pics of your frags? Looking forward to more. Subscribed!

Will do once the batteries are charged for my camera; both were dead.

Mr. Microscope

Ecotech Radion Gen 2; as of right now it is just one. I will have to order another one. I haven't decided yet on the pros. I was thinking for the money it's not worth it because I can make small led spotlights similar to

Also, with only deepwater acros, you won't need super high PAR. This tank will be perfect for acans and chalices as well.

jedimasterben

I'm pretty sure I can buy some violet LEDs and put it in that ML casing and use it with my RKL controller.

I doubt you could and have it work.

Also, with only deepwater acros, you won't need super high PAR. This tank will be perfect for acans and chalices as well.

That's true! So I really don't need two radions.

I doubt you could and have it work.

Simple answer: It would work but only if I make a new casing. It's a simple positive and negative to a switch adapter cable and with ALC I would be able to control the dim level etc.

jedimasterben

It's really not that simple. Do you know what the forward voltage range of the power supply is, and how many amps it puts out?

It's really not that simple. Do you know what the forward voltage range of the power supply is, and how many amps it puts out?

Not exactly but I'm sure I would be able to figure it out eventually. All great inventions always had doubters. So it's going to be 1 radion I will aquascape it around that 1 lighting. Also I have to make sure I have a lot of open space, cliffs, drops, and caves so that I can accommodate the anthias.

Mr. Microscope

That's true! So I really don't need two radions.

I have no experience with the radions. It might work with one, but your tank is pretty big. You might be better off running two at lower output levels so that you have a more even spread.
Paleoreef103

Not exactly but I'm sure I would be able to figure it out eventually. All great inventions always had doubters. So it's going to be 1 radion I will aquascape it around that 1 lighting. Also I have to make sure I have a lot of open space, cliffs, drops, and caves so that I can accommodate the anthias.

You're going to have a much easier time building them from scratch. 1) You'll want more than 2 violets. 2) You don't know if the ALC pods generate enough forward voltage to power a Violet LED 3) Those ALC pods won't cool high power violets as they're made for LEDs that generate much less heat. Running a pair of 3W violets in those pods will result in thermal failure.

Buy two of these per radion http://www.rapidled.com/drilled-tapped-1-4-x-12-aluminum-heatsink/ and mount them to either side of the radion. Buy 12 Violet LEDs (Either 8 Hyperviolets-430nm and 4 TV-405nm or 12 Hyperviolets) and a driver to run them (Meanwell LDD would let you dim them down to 1% for moonligh applications, but your radion does that anyway so you may as well go with something more plug and play like an invetronics driver). 24 bucks for heat sinks ~$80 for LEDs and materials and $40 bucks to get your driver plugged, potted, and ready to go will net you a much better violet add on than the radion pro has. If you're going this route though, you might as well DIY the entire fixture.

I have no experience with the radions. It might work with one, but your tank is pretty big. You might be better off running two at lower output levels so that you have a more even spread.
Well 1 radion can effectively light 24x24. The tank will be 32inches long x 24 inches wide. Which would leave 8 inches not effectively lit. But with this being a deep water tank, those 8 inches can benefit the anthias (low light areas). I will just be limited on my scape.

You're going to have a much easier time building them from scratch. 1) You'll want more than 2 violets. 2) You don't know if the ALC pods generate enough forward voltage to power a Violet LED 3) Those ALC pods won't cool high power violets as they're made for LEDs that generate much less heat. Running a pair of 3W violets in those pods will result in thermal failure. Buy two of these per radion http://www.rapidled.com/drilled-tapped-1-4-x-12-aluminum-heatsink/'>http://www.rapidled.com/drilled-tapped-1-4-x-12-aluminum-heatsink/ and mount them to either side of the radion. Buy 12 Violet LEDs (Either 8 Hyperviolets-430nm and 4 TV-405nm or 12 Hyperviolets) and a driver to run them (Meanwell LDD would let you dim them down to 1% for moonligh applications, but your radion does that anyway so you may as well go with something more plug and play like an invetronics driver). 24 bucks for heat sinks ~$80 for LEDs and materials and $40 bucks to get your driver plugged, potted, and ready to go will net you a much better violet add on than the radion pro has. If you're going this route though, you might as well DIY the entire fixture.
I might as well get a fixture made from buildmyled.com for that pricing.
jedimasterben

Well 1 radion can effectively light 24x24. The tank will be 32inches long x 24 inches wide. Which would leave 8 inches not effectively lit. But with this being a deep water tank, those 8 inches can benefit the anthias (low light areas). I will just be limited on my scape.

You'd need to hang it high to cover a 24"x24" with anything other than just incident light. As long as you're not having corals wall-to-wall, you are fine with only one. (though I still don't like Radions ;) )

I might as well get a fixture made from buildmyled.com for that pricing.

If you would want something to match the output of a BML strip, you could get away with much less money, as those things have sorry output.

You'd need to hang it high to cover a 24"x24" with anything other than just incident light. As long as you're not having corals wall-to-wall, you are fine with only one. (though I still don't like Radions ;) )

If you would want something to match the output of a BML strip, you could get away with much less money, as those things have sorry output.

The object of me adding the violets is to give the additional color of the radion pro. The lights on my radions now never pass 30% so anything around that output would suffice

Picking up the tank today. It made it to my city today but won't be able to deliver until tomorrow so I decided that ill just pick it up today.

Archived