Innovative Marine Aquariums

MarquiseO's "I love Anthias and SPS" Tank (New Anthias Post#120)

ReviloM

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those are some awesome fish! :wub:

Thanks!

Beautiful pics of beautiful fish

Thanks! I am starting to become more familiar with my camera. Hopefully I can be great at it some day.

Love that sunset!

I've tried and could never get a good picture of my sunburst. He's all cheerful when I'm in front of the tank, but as soon as he sees the camera he will hide out in his little cave and won't come out for hours. Same with my mystery wrasse, which is weird as he's the most active fish in the tank.

Im jelous of that sump though. Almost pulled the trigger on this about 10 months ago.

I downgraded sumps. I got an extra small sump. I never used the refugium and I wanted the extra space for reactors etc.

Love that sunset! I've tried and could never get a good picture of my sunburst. He's all cheerful when I'm in front of the tank, but as soon as he sees the camera he will hide out in his little cave and won't come out for hours. Same with my mystery wrasse, which is weird as he's the most active fish in the tank.

Mine haven't become super energetic yet. Hopefully soon, they will be. What do you feed yours btw?

Fix your flikr account dude!

What's wrong with it?

My resplendents will eat anything, the sunset will only take pellets since I got him off frozen mysis. I normally feed pellets, brine/mysis mix, and every now & then I'll throw in some LRS reef frenzy.

I cant see any pics man!

How do you like that PH3500?

They are showing for me and everyone else. I put that pump in storage. I am using a fountain pump I bought at Lowes for cheap. I have been using the Lowes pump for almost a year now and still works great.

Im so freaking mad right now. My vortech pumps kiled my Ventralis male. I was going a role call and noticed it sucked to the side of the pump that was on NTM on about 70%. I just want to throw these pumps into the wall right now. The fish wasn't ill. No other fish harassed it in the tank. .........damn pumps.....RIP ventralis

I've kept many anthias in my relatively short time as a reefer. Lyretail, Lori's, stocky, dispar, and a couple of others I'm forgetting. I've never had any that had issues with Vortech powerheads, same with any other fish - including a pair of banded pipefish I kept for several months until a salinity mishap. I swapped three MP10s for two MP40 and an MP10, running the MP40 around 70% and the MP10 full-tilt in pulse mode until i can get my wireless driver for it to sync up. I've currently got two juvenile dispar anthias, and both are fine in that flow.

I could see that there would be an issue if the fish jammed its face into the propeller - but being sucked to the side doesn't happen to healthy fish. Don't be so hasty to blame the pumps, even if you had Tunze or Koralia, the fish would have fared the same fate, as the same amount of water (bear with me) would be flowing through the pump.

I've kept many anthias in my relatively short time as a reefer. Lyretail, Lori's, stocky, dispar, and a couple of others I'm forgetting. I've never had any that had issues with Vortech powerheads, same with any other fish - including a pair of banded pipefish I kept for several months until a salinity mishap. I swapped three MP10s for two MP40 and an MP10, running the MP40 around 70% and the MP10 full-tilt in pulse mode until i can get my wireless driver for it to sync up. I've currently got two juvenile dispar anthias, and both are fine in that flow.

I could see that there would be an issue if the fish jammed its face into the propeller - but being sucked to the side doesn't happen to healthy fish. Don't be so hasty to blame the pumps, even if you had Tunze or Koralia, the fish would have fared the same fate, as the same amount of water (bear with me) would be flowing through the pump.

The pumps did it. It happened in the part of NTM when the setting starts to suck up all detritus. Also, i know it did it because I just removed the mesh covering off the vortechs last night because they were too dirty. The fish used to swim below the pump all the time. The Anthia was 100% healthy. I made sure he was fine. I would have bought a hi-tech quarantine setup if he was sick.

Oh well. I will just sell my paintball equipment and buy 6 ventralis to replace him.

The pumps did it. It happened in the part of NTM when the setting starts to suck up all detritus. Also, i know it did it because I just removed the mesh covering off the vortechs last night because they were too dirty. The fish used to swim below the pump all the time. The Anthia was 100% healthy. I made sure he was fine. I would have bought a hi-tech quarantine setup if he was sick.

I still do not believe that the pump had anything to do with the cause of death, and that it simply sucked it in after it had died or was in the process of it. Even a mostly healthy anthias would be strong enough to escape, they are excellent swimmers when they need to be (especially if they see a net coming, <_<). Most parasites and diseases show zero outward signs until it's too late.

Oh well. I will just sell my paintball equipment and buy 6 ventralis to replace him.

Now that's the spirit! :lol:

Ill show you the image of where my fish like to gather, which is right below the pump. Normally i have the pumps on 45% when i dont have the cover on but I forgot to change it last night. The ventralis ate more than any other fish in the tank. He didnt have a parasite trust me. In that case, the one fish that I think is sick, an ignitus, would have been killed instead except it stays on the opposite side of the tank from all the other fish. The pump on that side runs on blue setting opposed to the purple one.

What's that? You're getting 72 instead of 6? Sounds good to me :)

:lol:

lol no. thats $7,200 just for ventralis fish and to gather that many, it would take years; only at most 10 available every few months.

Archived