Top Shelf Aquatics

MarquiseO's "I love Anthias and SPS" Tank (New Anthias Post#120)

ReviloM

And not only that but your gonna put your back out every time you want to adjust them. The older you get the more you want things waist level or higher, LOL.

I like the start of this tank, why not go full Zeovit? You have the room for a zeo-reactor in the sump.

Christine

Hey Christine. I am a fan of your tank. Well I am young so it won't affect me right now, I'm only 23 atm. I need to move around anyways. Seriously reason why I put it inside is because i normally only keep it on the nutrient transport so i rarely touch the dial. Also, the lights moving back and forth become a distraction for me and my guests.

The reason I am not full zeo is because of a few reasons: too much additional work: trying to make it as close to autonomous as possible, i like only the supplements, it is very expensive ( i have established a budget to control my spending), i can stop using the supplements at anytime with any ill drawback, and lastly, because I am in the military, I will soon be leaving and i will have someone designated to take care of my tank for me while i am gone and I want it to be as simple as possible and not a daily chore.

Side note: anyone know a good wireless webcam I can use to monitor my tank abroad. I have my net access from my RKE, now I just need a webcam so I can see issues and alert my tanksitter as to what is going on from two points of view.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Christine. I am a fan of your tank. Well I am young so it won't affect me right now, I'm only 23 atm. I need to move around anyways. Seriously reason why I put it inside is because i normally only keep it on the nutrient transport so i rarely touch the dial. Also, the lights moving back and forth become a distraction for me and my guests.

The reason I am not full zeo is because of a few reasons: too much additional work: trying to make it as close to autonomous as possible, i like only the supplements, it is very expensive ( i have established a budget to control my spending), i can stop using the supplements at anytime with any ill drawback, and lastly, because I am in the military, I will soon be leaving and i will have someone designated to take care of my tank for me while i am gone and I want it to be as simple as possible and not a daily chore.

Side note: anyone know a good wireless webcam I can use to monitor my tank abroad. I have my net access from my RKE, now I just need a webcam so I can see issues and alert my tanksitter as to what is going on from two points of view.

Thanks, I fully understand, Zeo is more work and requires almost daily attention. I do agree with the others, you get a small amount of spray off the sump, you don't see it necessary but it's there. Maybe some kind of acrylic box to cover both controllers would work, but I would protect them somehow, and save your investment.

As for wireless web cam, I use a cheaper D-Link stationary camera without night vision, big mistake purchase for me. I would go with one that you can control, move around and zoom in and out, it should also have night vision. I think you can get one in the $200 range, something like this http://www.dlink.com/ca/en/home-solutions/view/network-cameras/dcs-5222l-pan-tilt-zoom-cloud-camera I paid $130 for mine and deeply regret it.

Christine

Thanks, I fully understand, Zeo is more work and requires almost daily attention. I do agree with the others, you get a small amount of spray off the sump, you don't see it necessary but it's there. Maybe some kind of acrylic box to cover both controllers would work, but I would protect them somehow, and save your investment.

As for wireless web cam, I use a cheaper D-Link stationary camera without night vision, big mistake purchase for me. I would go with one that you can control, move around and zoom in and out, it should also have night vision. I think you can get one in the $200 range, something like this http://www.dlink.com/ca/en/home-solutions/view/network-cameras/dcs-5222l-pan-tilt-zoom-cloud-camera I paid $130 for mine and deeply regret it.

Christine

Thanks! I will take a look at putting it behind the stand then. I have a enough space behind it to mount it to the back of it. that webcam is nice. i will see where I currently stand in my budget. I don't need it now but I want to get it before I leave.

I'm going to see if I can find some of the left over cord holders (idk the exact name) that came with the vortechs.

Pm me if you can't find them, I have a bunch.

Pm me if you can't find them, I have a bunch.

Thanks for the reply. I just found the mounting brackets (that's their name) at lowes while making a supply run.

Keeping the rock an inch or two away from the glass makes it much easier to clean. I like the rock itself, not too cluttered, some will say you need more rock in there but I think it is adequate. You can always add rock to your sump area. Are you going BB?

Christine

To Biopellet or not to biopellet? That is the question.

I would hold off on BP's for now, see how your system handles the livestock first. BP's take a month or so to become fully established. I have used them and are not sold on them personally, I know they work well for some people. If over used they have the ability to strip life from your tank, I almost crashed mine using them in the past.

Keeping the rock an inch or two away from the glass makes it much easier to clean. I like the rock itself, not too cluttered, some will say you need more rock in there but I think it is adequate. You can always add rock to your sump area. Are you going BB?

Christine

Yeah i just noticed i put it on the glass. i was very tired when I was scaping.

I will add some Seachem Matrix to the sump. I will remain barebottom. I got fed up with sand a long time ago, It smells, traps detritus, a pain to remove from tanks, gets blown everywhere, looks awful on the liverock when blown up, and again its a P.I.T.A.

As for not enough rock, it is an adequate amount. I didnt want a tank full of rocks which is what you see in most people tanks. I want open areas for my anthias and too much LR would inhibit that. I also wanted small cliffs and edges and those were the only rocks that I had that were fully cured that came close to my expectation.

I would hold off on BP's for now, see how your system handles the livestock first. BP's take a month or so to become fully established. I have used them and are not sold on them personally, I know they work well for some people. If over used they have the ability to strip life from your tank, I almost crashed mine using them in the past.

Well the biopellets will be the same ones I had from old 28G. I kept them tumbling in the reactor in a bucket, so they should still be prime. I was just trying to decide if I would go BP or refugium on this tank.

Also, I lost one of my deepwater frags in the move.....I just changed homes so i guess the move stressed that frag.

TheKleinReef

i forgot where i saw it, maybe on reef central, but a guy used a cream colored panel on the bottom of the tank so he solved the sand problem but kept the color. i'll try an find it. he may have just painted the bottom of the tank (which maybe too late for you :P)

i forgot where i saw it, maybe on reef central, but a guy used a cream colored panel on the bottom of the tank so he solved the sand problem but kept the color. i'll try an find it. he may have just painted the bottom of the tank (which maybe too late for you :P)

Once the coralline covers the bottom you won't need it, maybe for the beginning few months. I have seen people use encrusting monties and other corals as well to cover the bottom nicely. I personally think a one inch sand bed works best, you can sift it once and a while to keep it clean and feed the corals at the same time. It's all personal taste really, but BB is good for a tank you would like to have running for years.

Christine

Once the coralline covers the bottom you won't need it, maybe for the beginning few months. I have seen people use encrusting monties and other corals as well to cover the bottom nicely. I personally think a one inch sand bed works best, you can sift it once and a while to keep it clean and feed the corals at the same time. It's all personal taste really, but BB is good for a tank you would like to have running for years.

Christine

I plan to keep this one for years as a mid size tank, not too small and not too big. Also, I have 4 species of Anthias now: 3 Dispar, 1 Ignitus, 3 Carberryi, and 3 Lyretails. I have to purchase the other two ignitus. I bought the 3 lyretails and the ignitus from my LFS. It was a buy 3 get 1 free. Those were the only remaining ones. I will upload pics when can.

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

*Updated main thread

Future plans:

*Testing and dosing trace elements for color

*Adding more deepwater SPS

*Adding Acans, Trachy/Wellso, and nice zoanthids (preferrably Aquascapers')

*Not sure if I want to get rid of my current Anthias and go to only Ventralis and Sunburst.

Are you only stocking anthias? A watanabei angel might be cool and they are deep water as well, or perhaps a deep water butterflyfish (prognathodes butterflys)? If you can find one, though. Actually I think they are sub tropical..

Are you only stocking anthias? A watanabei angel might be cool and they are deep water as well, or perhaps a deep water butterflyfish (prognathodes butterflys)? If you can find one, though. Actually I think they are sub tropical..

Anthias only

Tank is looking great buddy. My favorite anthias would be the Fatheads.

so do you think I should switch to sunburst and ventralis only. i have been thinking about it

I want to do 5 of each

Sunburst are more solitary, no? And ventralis are supposed to be crazy hard to keep, but it seems that you know what your are doing. Is this tank cooler water too?

Archived