SaltCritters.com

>Tristan's PicO< (New pics of tank)

TristanC

A chiller isn't needed, what's important is that temps are stable. I would see what's causing the excess heat, could be the koralias or the glass lid, whatever it turns out to be try and fix it by replacing it with something else be it a mesh cover (picO has one) or swapping the powerheads for something that releases less heat (smaller one or mp10 if budget allows). 80* isn't too high as long as its stable. For me adding the rkl was one of the best purchases I've made, I never have to worry about heater failure or temp stability.

I turned the heater down to 79 last night and checked my tank temp this morning and it was sitting at 79.2. The lid was on last night also. Of course, the Kessil was off, but I just don't think that is really adding to my temperature. The glass lid directly beneath the light (about 3 inches) is still cool to the touch when the light is on. I'm going to leave the lid off tonight and see how it goes. Can I hook this RKL to a computer and chart my temperatures?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright guys, I got my rocks this morning and have spent the entire day cleaning them, then aquascaping. I was going to do the muriatic acid wash but in the end decided against it. I scrubbed the shit out of them, gave them a vinegar bath, then an ro bath, then a salt water bath, then another ro bath. Now i have them in the tank. I only removed two rocks from the display and added three, Im doubtful it will affect anything all that much. Here are some crappy pictures, i had to take them with only the whites on but even then you cant really see the detail in it.

IMG_3306_zps7ffc9802.jpg

The structure has a ton of caves and trenches and the top half is perfect for sps placement. Since the rocks are so white pictures don't do it justice. I figure 2 months from now they will look like they have been there the whole time.

That is a lot of rock bathing. This picture reminds me of ying and yang, night and day. New thread name? :D

That is a lot of rock bathing.

Ha ha yeah i may have gotten a little carried away, at least i know they where clean :D .

This picture reminds me of ying and yang, night and day. New thread name? :D

I like it! Only thing is once the rock colors up people are going to be like, "ying & yang? wth is this guy talking about"

I have mesh top and MP10w :P

Damn...My bad man, i think I got your heat issue mixed up with someone else's.

I turned the heater down to 79 last night and checked my tank temp this morning and it was sitting at 79.2. The lid was on last night also. Of course, the Kessil was off, but I just don't think that is really adding to my temperature. The glass lid directly beneath the light (about 3 inches) is still cool to the touch when the light is on. I'm going to leave the lid off tonight and see how it goes. Can I hook this RKL to a computer and chart my temperatures?

Thats good news, seems like its doing exactly what it should then. For the rkl I'm pretty sure you can, i haven't hooked it up to a computer other than to update it to the latest firmware.

Thats good news, seems like its doing exactly what it should then. For the rkl I'm pretty sure you can, i haven't hooked it up to a computer other than to update it to the latest firmware.

I've looked around but haven't been to the DA forum yet. I have a little netbook I don't use so I'm stringing crap through the house to my other PC. Also, I misspoke. I set my heater at 77 (not 79) so I am, in fact, getting heat from my pumps. Room temperature was around 64 this morning.

I've looked around but haven't been to the DA forum yet. I have a little netbook I don't use so I'm stringing crap through the house to my other PC. Also, I misspoke. I set my heater at 77 (not 79) so I am, in fact, getting heat from my pumps. Room temperature was around 64 this morning.

Another idea, alot of times heaters aren't calibrated correctly so when you set it to 77 it goes to 79. Is your heater plugged into the rkl yet? I cant remember, if it is then nevermind what i just said haha.

Another idea, alot of times heaters aren't calibrated correctly so when you set it to 77 it goes to 79. Is your heater plugged into the rkl yet? I cant remember, if it is then nevermind what i just said haha.

It is plugged into the RKL but I turned up my setpoint on the RKL to something like 84 so I could see what the heater was actually doing. Once it stabilized around 80 degrees (heater set to 81 I think) I turned the red pointing ring (on the heater) to the appropriate tank temperature at that thermostat setting. I assume this was the purpose of the red ring being adjustable. Since nothing is in the tank besides some rock and sand, I'm not concerned about controlling it too much. I did get sick of hearing the click click click of the RKL turning off and on the PC4 plug. I think it was set to 0.1 so I'm going to go for a slightly wider hysteresis window of 0.3 or 0.4 once I get the heater worked out.

It is plugged into the RKL but I turned up my setpoint on the RKL to something like 84 so I could see what the heater was actually doing. Once it stabilized around 80 degrees (heater set to 81 I think) I turned the red pointing ring (on the heater) to the appropriate tank temperature at that thermostat setting. I assume this was the purpose of the red ring being adjustable. Since nothing is in the tank besides some rock and sand, I'm not concerned about controlling it too much. I did get sick of hearing the click click click of the RKL turning off and on the PC4 plug. I think it was set to 0.1 so I'm going to go for a slightly wider hysteresis window of 0.3 or 0.4 once I get the heater worked out.

Yeah I got really tired of hearing the click over and over again, if you set the function to controller you can adjust the hysteresis. If the function is on heater it only allows .1

Yeah I got really tired of hearing the click over and over again, if you set the function to controller you can adjust the hysteresis. If the function is on heater it only allows .1

Sweet thanks! I guess I should have known that from reading the instruction manual the controller came with. It was probably on page 1 or near the end on page 2.

Day off from work today, woohoo! I'm going to go hopefully get some new frags then do a water change this afternoon. Maybe my gf will let me steal her dslr and I can try to get some decent shots of the tank for a once.

Just got back home from my favorite lfs socaltropicalfish (sexy corals) and nabbed 4 new frags. I can't talk high enough about this guy, super nice, cool to talk with ect. Picked up 2 zoa frags 1 blonde hair blue eyes (maybe called blondies?) and one that he couldn't recal the name. 2 sps frags, 1 pink ponape birdsnest and 1 forest fire digi. Everything is acclimating at the moment but I will post pics.

Acclimation went well, zoas started opening up and sps started showing pe while in acclimation so that is a good sign. Everybody got dipped before entering the tank and no pests were found. Apparently i have dinner plans tonight (just found out) so the dslr is going to have to wait, for now these pics should suffice.

http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/tristanschlueter89/media/IMG_3379_zps1bf318ba.jpg.html'>IMG_3379_zps1bf318ba.jpg

http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/tristanschlueter89/media/IMG_3378_zps3e279a94.jpg.html'>IMG_3378_zps3e279a94.jpg

http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/tristanschlueter89/media/IMG_3377_zps602e93a6.jpg.html'>IMG_3377_zps602e93a6.jpg

http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/tristanschlueter89/media/IMG_3376_zps988b21bb.jpg.html'>IMG_3376_zps988b21bb.jpg

You sure that's the same coral? I've seen that digitata before but not one like yours...how can there be so much neon green on it lol.

It's the actinics, this particular one is extremely vibrant though, the polyps are almost pink.

So for sure you're set on it? Are you going to hang it as well?

Im never sure lol, once it hits the market ill listen for what others are saying.

Took some pictures of the zoas after they fully opened, the colors on these are freakin crazy.

Blond Haired Blue Eyed Bitch aka Blondies

http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/tristanschlueter89/media/IMG_3382_zps476fb6d6.jpg.html'>IMG_3382_zps476fb6d6.jpg

I NEED to know what this one is called, its gorgeous but I dont know what it is.

http://s1231.photobucket.com/user/tristanschlueter89/media/IMG_3391_zps1b4dd7bf.jpg.html'>IMG_3391_zps1b4dd7bf.jpg

Deleted User 4

I think buddythelion has most of it...or had it all at some point. He keeps reselling and reselling haha.

I don't know who tenor is. Eddie has a few.

Archived