ReefCleaners.org

>Tristan's PicO< (New pics of tank)

TristanC

Hmm Tris, are those two heaters you have next to the reactor?

Yeah those are two 50w heaters, I tried a neotherm 75w and it doesn't keep temps up at night. 100w won't fit (I only use jäger) so Im running two 50w. They are controlled by my rkl and temps are perfect all the time.

Nice review Tristan. It does look very high quality.

Thanks!

Bought the seachem "the bag" ones...they are kind of big at 10" x 5" but they should still work. I was more concerned with getting the 190 micron mesh. We'll see :)

Oh ok, I saw those but I thought they where smaller than 10x5. With 190 micron nothing is getting through :)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see. Why neotherm is cobalt right? How did that not work when everyone's is loving the damn thing? lol.

Yeah it's cobalt. They look badass, it heats up a 5g bucket super quick but for whatever reason it couldn't keep up with my tank. I'm sure if I got the 100w one it would be fine but for the price ill stuck with what works for me (even if it looks ugly with two heaters sticking out lol)

Probably depends completely on your ambient room temp tim - use those charts on cobalt aquatics page to figure out the right size. I'm using a 25w on mine and it really only turns on at night and only to raise temp 4º or so.

75watt is my only option with the Cobalt Neo-Therm due to size, it's a very picky heater as well since it only wants to be mounted upright. I may have to go the same route as Tristan with the 2x Jager heater. Our tank are gonna be twins!

Uh oh, I have one 50 watt jäger...I thought that would be plenty for a 14 gallon PicO II (3.5 watts per gallon). May need to order another one if your single 75 couldn't handle the III S.

I think it looks kind of cool with the dual heaters - I feel the same way about dual airstone skimmers, etc. Got that scientific feel

Haha with all the stuff sticking out of the rear chambers my tank definitely feels scientific.

75watt is my only option with the Cobalt Neo-Therm due to size, it's a very picky heater as well since it only wants to be mounted upright. I may have to go the same route as Tristan with the 2x Jager heater. Our tank are gonna be twins!

I leave my windows open all the time so the room gets a bit chilly at night, test it out and see if it works for you.

Uh oh, I have one 50 watt jäger...I thought that would be plenty for a 14 gallon PicO II (3.5 watts per gallon). May need to order another one if your single 75 couldn't handle the III S.

For me one 50w isn't even close to enough, even with it set at 79.5 the tank would dip into the low 70's. With two I have my rkl set at 79.5 (.3 hysteresis) and its perfect no matter how cold the room gets.

I leave my windows open all the time so the room gets a bit chilly at night, test it out and see if it works for you.

Same here man, considering we deal with the same climate area lol.

If it helps, I live pretty close to the beach.. So it's getting pretty cold around here.

I have a 50W jager and my tank is a steady 80.5 with the lid on. I'm not even sure how much the heater actually kicks on because I have two Koralia Nanos in the display. If I can't keep the temp down this summer, something will have to change.

I have a 50W jager and my tank is a steady 80.5 with the lid on. I'm not even sure how much the heater actually kicks on because I have two Koralia Nanos in the display. If I can't keep the temp down this summer, something will have to change.

I might get one of these..

http://www.marinedepot.com/CoolWorks_Microchiller_Micro_Nano_Aquarium_Chillers-CoolWorks-CW1131-FICHMC-vi.html

The glass lid really does keep alot of the heat in. I would leave it off for a night and see how the temp is affected.

The neo-therm probably doesn't transfer heat well due to it's plastic housing. From what I see, you need a size higher wattage than you would normally use for your tank. In my PicO (~15 gallons) I have 1 50w jager and it is plenty with an ambient temperature not below 68 degrees.

The neo-therm probably doesn't transfer heat well due to it's plastic housing. From what I see, you need a size higher wattage than you would normally use for your tank. In my PicO (~15 gallons) I have 1 50w jager and it is plenty with an ambient temperature not below 68 degrees.

I agree, having 18x18" of open top and a small water volume requires more heating wattage than normal. At least that's what I think haha.

No, man please don't lol.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Then what chiller should I get? Just cough up the extra dough and aim for the big boys?

Deleted User 4

Then what chiller should I get? Just cough up the extra dough and aim for the big boys?

Don't need a chiller dude.... I had my picO shallow tank in the summer with the heater off. All corals were fine man.

Only tanks with metal hallides/t-5's need chiller unless their house has the a/c on 24/7.

Deleted User 4

Cool, I suppose I could use that money for more women and booze. :DB)

That's the way to go. :)

Btw, I saw a married couple in your album, that wasn't you? lol

Creepy

A chiller isn't needed, what's important is that temps are stable. I would see what's causing the excess heat, could be the koralias or the glass lid, whatever it turns out to be try and fix it by replacing it with something else be it a mesh cover (picO has one) or swapping the powerheads for something that releases less heat (smaller one or mp10 if budget allows). 80* isn't too high as long as its stable. For me adding the rkl was one of the best purchases I've made, I never have to worry about heater failure or temp stability.
Deleted User 4

Creepy

A chiller isn't needed, what's important is that temps are stable. I would see what's causing the excess heat, could be the koralias or the glass lid, whatever it turns out to be try and fix it by replacing it with something else be it a mesh cover (picO has one) or swapping the powerheads for something that releases less heat (smaller one or mp10 if budget allows). 80* isn't too high as long as its stable. For me adding the rkl was one of the best purchases I've made, I never have to worry about heater failure or temp stability.

Hey it was by accident, I was looking at his tank pictures from the past (flowerhorn, etc).

But yeah creepy lol.

Hey it was by accident, I was looking at his tank pictures from the past (flowerhorn, etc).

But yeah creepy lol.

Nah, that was my buddy who proposed to his fiancé that night.

Creepy

I have mesh top and MP10w :P

Archived