Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

My Custom PicO

Mstefa1

Looks like a Euphyllia glabrescens (Torch) to me, but I can't be sure unless I see the tentacle tips, like you say. It could be a E. paraancora (Branching Hammer) but it's definitely not E. paradivisa or E. divisa (Frogspawn)

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Deckoz2302

Im pretty sure its a torch as well. However if you take a close up pic I could tell. There have been torches floating around that are really E. Cristata aka grape coral. Which looks like a short tentacled torch except the skeleton is always exposed mid polyp

You going to get an ATO at some point for the PicO Matt?

Page 1 - had it from the start. The full Tunze osmolator, not the nano. Wouldn't trust anything else.

You mean the frag tank? At some point I'll put a tunze nano ato on it but for now... I'm not keeping anything spectacular in it yet so we will see. I need another fragging when I come back from vacatin.

Tank is looking good BTW.

Thanks Jordon!

Page 1 - had it from the start. The full Tunze osmolator, not the nano. Wouldn't trust anything else.

You mean the frag tank? At some point I'll put a tunze nano ato on it but for now... I'm not keeping anything spectacular in it yet so we will see. I need another fragging when I come back from vacatin.

Thanks Jordon!

DERP on my part. I meant the Frag Tank, yes :P

All 3 tanks are cleaned, water changed, my bags are packed... Now one last night of work and I'm flying out tomorrow to Florida!

Just for curiosity, I tested phosphates in my PicO. 3 weeks ago 0.12. Last week 0.09. This week 0.10. Honestly I'm not worried. The level has dropped 3 fold since I've first tested. We will evaluate it again in a couple of months. I do change all the media often In case your wondering... My dual overflows powered by dual Cobal MJ600s contain the following...

Chamber 1

Polyfill floss (changed about every other day to every 3 days) as this catches a lot of the crap directly from the overflow

----------------

Marineland white / blue floss cut to shape (changed weekly, or rinsed and changed no less then 2 weeks)

----------------

BRS ROX 0.8

----------------

BRS GFO

Chamber 2

Polyfill floss (changed about every other day to every 3 days) as this catches a lot of the crap directly from the overflow

----------------

Marineland white / blue floss cut to shape (changed weekly, or rinsed and changed no less then 2 weeks)

----------------

Marineland black diamond carbon

----------------

Phosguard

Oh hell, the filtration police!

How often do you change out your carbon, and why the two different brands?

Unless you know something that I don't... Carbon is generally fully effective for 1-2 weeks. And it's better to use less and change it more frequently, then it is to use more and change it less often. I'm using 2 different carbons just because I can. Although BRS claims the ROX is superior I have no proof other then the fact that they tell me so. I've already had the black diamond for another tank so I didn't go out and buy it. I like the irregular shape of it as opposed to the uniform pellets of the ROX. I'm actually using such a small amount of each so don't get your panties in a bunch.

Two different brands of carbon and phosphate reducer? And two different kinds of white/blue floss?! Explain yourself!

Well as you know I've been dealing with phosphates. I've been using GFO in a media bag and when my Phosguard came in I used that next. And the next week I said hell, why not use a small amount of both.

As far as 2 different mechanical medias... That's a no brainer for me. I am a firm believer that using mechanical filtration in a reef tank is to get the crap out of the tank as fast as possible. I wanted to use polyfill (pillow stuffing) because of how cheap it is. Well until I build something to hold the polyfill in place perfectly it doesn't trap 100% because it doesn't fill the overflow nicely. So what I do is put it on the top so that it catches the bulk of the crap and I can discard it every few days.

Below the polyfill I use your standard blue/white foam that you can buy anywhere. Jordon, it's basically the same stuff you got from Intank but comes in a big sheet, not cut in strips. This is more expensive than polyfill so I don't want to be tossing it every other day. So I cut a pair of rectangles that perfectly fit each of my overflows and put this under the polyfill. These get changed out less frequently.

...I'm actually using such a small amount of each so don't get your panties in a bunch.

I prefer the term 'Banana Hammock' thank you very much. :lol:

Nah, I was just curious, that's all. Sounds good to me. Diversity in filtration - rock on.

I prefer the term 'Banana Hammock' thank you very much. :lol:

Nah, I was just curious, that's all. Sounds good to me. Diversity in filtration - rock on.

I love crystal clear water. :wub:

I love crystal clear water. :wub:

Amen to that. I'm too lazy to look back, but what are you running for filtration in your frag tank.

Oh and my AC50 is super quiet. I can only hear it from a few feet away - and it's just a slight hum. I know you were asking me a while back if it was going to be loud, and thankfully it isn't. Is yours still loud, or has it 'broken in'/slimed up?

Hard to say. It's sitting next to a 55g that is low on water so that sounds like a waterfall. lol I've got filter pad, phosguard, and carbon in my frag tank. I've yet to test any parameter except ammonia to confirm the cycle was complete and salinity when I do water changes. Don't forget I've gotten a intank media basket.

lol, I'll make an index one day. :)

Good to know. I think for me since there is no liverock and/or sand, I will simply have carbon and filter floss. I plan to do twice per week 50% water changes to keep things in check. What do you think? This is for the Coral QT mind you.

Good to know. I think for me since there is no liverock and/or sand, I will simply have carbon and filter floss. I plan to do twice per week 50% water changes to keep things in check. What do you think? This is for the Coral QT mind you.

That will be fine. I'm betting you will kill most pests with a dip, but QT may discover nuisance algae that wasn't on your plug / frag when you received it but grows after a week of light. The problem with QT so many frags is that if you have a pest on 1 frag it will quickly spread to the others. At least it stays out of your display though.

That will be fine. I'm betting you will kill most pests with a dip, but QT may discover nuisance algae that wasn't on your plug / frag when you received it but grows after a week of light. The problem with QT so many frags is that if you have a pest on 1 frag it will quickly spread to the others. At least it stays out of your display though.

It's funny, with the RPS All-out dip you have to run carbon to get rid of the residue, otherwise there is chance it can kill inverts/clams etc.. :mellow: Regardless of that - I was thinking carbon is a good idea anyways. I just added 1tbsp Rox 0.8 and two filter floss pads cut to size in the AC50 (the white/blue ones)

I really rather not buy a crapload of corals all at once, but I was able to get free shipping (my LFS sucks remember) so it was worth it. I will be dipping the corals all together once they arrive, then again after 7 days.

Thanks for your feedback :)

• 2 weeks later...

lol if you want to risk getting this then sure -well, if I could even drag myself out of bed lol.

no you can can keep that. Haven't u been sick for a while?

no you can can keep that. Haven't u been sick for a while?

I have a really poor immune system despite taking vitamins daily - it's just how I've been for a long time. I found out in 2006 that my immune system is "lower than normal" from my doctor. lawls. whatever that means - it only means to me that I get sick regularly - oh and bike accident, that just happened. glad I already did maintenance on my tank because I feel like shit.

K, I'm back now from vacation and ready to pick up where I left off. Maybe I need a vacation from my vacation. In my PicO, I had 2 special zoa frags that were single polyls, which also where my favorite by the way... They disappeared. Apparently the coral thief showed up When I was on vacation. I actually found one face down in the sand and the other is still missing in action. If you look back on the pics I found the orange one and lost the blue one.

I glued it back and am in the process of giving my tanks a feeding. At some point I'll do water changes on all the tanks. I have a nice frag of acropora that browned out. It is fully alive and the polyps are very responsive. I'm assuming it was from when I lowered the light level about a month ago. I have no algae growth in my tank and if you remember before I lowered the light I was getting mad green growth daily. I raised the level up and we will go from there. A cinnamon grandis paly has another polyp. Other then that, it looks pretty uneventful. I have a little brown algae in my frag tank but nothing like before. In fact, several of them are overgrowing their plugs.

Archived