ReefCleaners.org

My Custom PicO

Mstefa1

Hah, thanks :P

I see you started a thread, but you haven't gone balls-deep into it yet right? This makes me one sad panda.

Build thread on Delaware Valley Reef Club website. Too many communities.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

My little RODI system needed new filters, so rather then spending the $40 for filters and resin I purchased a BRS RODI 5 stage. So far, so good!

Oh, and my 45g cube got an upgrade... Picked up the WXM module for my Apex so that I can control my Radion gen3 via my Apex.

I had the 5 stage a while back and loved it, probably will be getting one again.

Sweet, so far love it too. Mounted it on the wall in my basement. Since I already had the plumbing from my previous setup, it was a quick install.

• 1 month later...

Have no fear, the PicO is still here! Unfortunately, I've managed to nuke the remainder of SPS in my tank. I'm convinced there just isn't enough water for stable parameters - at least with manual dosing. That being said, this thing is a rasta green house! Everything else is growing just great. While I keep up with regular maintenance, most of my attention is on my 45g cube.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm considering a rectangular custom from PicO that would probably be 24" wide. Would you do this dual overflow setup again, especially if it was 24" wide? Anything you would change? Depth? Height? This would be my first reef tank, so I'm trying to get it right. Thank you.

Purpose of dual overflows was 2 fold. First it provided excellent mechanical filtration which is something I lacked in my previous tank. Second it permitted dual return pumps which gave me optimal flow without the need for a flow pump in the display (unless your made of money and can dump cash on Vortechs). Only thing that I would consider doing differently is potentially having the opening in the lid slightly larger if I wanted to support a reactor (which I currently don't want to). This tank is about aesthetics so no tubes, no pumps, no wires, and no BS. Chris made a great tank to my specs. As far as size you will see that it was made to fit the location it was going and the height fit well with the length & width. I'm pretty aggressive with water changes on this tank since day 1.

• 3 weeks later...

You know I didn't even realize until now that our tanks dimensions are almost the same, only difference being 24" vs. 20" width.

Yep, when I first saw your tank it appeared that your rock work was very low profile IMO but when I saw your dimensions it made sense. Some of these guys put like 5 lbs in a 20g saying they want a minimalistic approach but where the heck do you put the corals if you don't have any rock? It makes sense to have islands in a 150g but not in a nano. My length & width were chosen to match the location / stand the tank was going on. Our AIO backs are completely different though. I've specified dual overflows & returns with dual pumps and never needed an MP-10. Particulate filtration was high on my want list.

Yep, when I first saw your tank it appeared that your rock work was very low profile IMO but when I saw your dimensions it made sense. Some of these guys put like 5 lbs in a 20g saying they want a minimalistic approach but where the heck do you put the corals if you don't have any rock? It makes sense to have islands in a 150g but not in a nano. My length & width were chosen to match the location / stand the tank was going on. Our AIO backs are completely different though. I've specified dual overflows & returns with dual pumps and never needed an MP-10. Particulate filtration was high on my want list.

I definitely could have built the rock work higher but I liked how it came out, especially with only having 10.5" of depth. Yeah I knew your tanks sump area was radically different than mine with your dual overflow dual returns, I decided to keep it simple back there.

I definitely could have built the rock work higher but I liked how it came out, especially with only having 10.5" of depth. Yeah I knew your tanks sump area was radically different than mine with your dual overflow dual returns, I decided to keep it simple back there.

Well nothing complicated here, but certainly no room for skimmers or fuges.

Archived