Cultivated Reef

My Custom PicO

Mstefa1

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I went to the swap today for my reef club, the Delaware Valley Reef Club. It was held at Adventure Aquarium, an absolutely awesome venue! I picked up a handful of corals, including a Jason Fox insane rainbox paly. I'll have to get pics up when everything settles in.

Snapped a few top down cell phone pics from a few goodies I got at the swap. Not exactly high quality shots, but my tank needs a little cleaning and I didn't feel like getting out the DSLR.

20131117_111405_zps3ba7ff56.jpg
First I got an aurora from Mike at ASR. I checked it out and came back several hours later and it was still there. I was like WTH? So I told Mike to hold it for me because I didn't want to check another bag in the warming tank. Mike said afterwards a dozen people tried to buy it. ;) It was a score at $25.

20131117_111446_zps26208292.jpg
Next we got a hammer, but I don't know where I picked it up from. With the beautiful frogspawn and torch on the one side, I needed a stony to compliment on the otherside. I picked it up for $15/head.

I also picked up a crazy colored mushroom, that looks red under daylight, but glows awesome under blues for $20 for Ultimate Corals.

And lastly, I picked up a Jason Fox signature insane rainbow paly. I upset it pretty bad when I removed it from the block and put it on my rock. Hopefully not a $50 mistake, but it is showing signs of life this morning when the lights started coming back on. I'll get pics up when it comes around.

20131117_111530_zps46e37b1b.jpg
And just to keep your interest, who can resist the rear of a sexy shrimp?

• 1 month later...

Got rid of my pair of sexy shrimp today. The little crappers destroyed most of my SPS. Pretty easy to trap them with a gatoraide bottle and a few pellets.

• 1 month later...

Mstefa1

Your tank is looking amazing. Now that you have had it a while would you do anything differently with the design of the tank or dimension if you were to do it all over again?

Mstefa1

Your tank is looking amazing. Now that you have had it a while would you do anything differently with the design of the tank or dimension if you were to do it all over again?

Thank you kindly. I specifically designed the tank with dual overflows because I wanted excellent particulate filtration. Each one has a media rack. When I first received the tank, I thought the overflows (and media racks) were a little wider than I expected but this allows for greater surface area on the filtration. I also used a pair of Cobalt MJ600 pumps. I wanted a pair of high quality pumps so that I would have awesome flow, and I could control them with a controller if desired. The actual dimension were decided to fit the location the tank was going. I wanted an overflow cover, and didn't want any skimmer, hoses, wires, or any ugly hardware becoming an eyesore as with my other tank.

I perform weekly water changes as routine as possible, and I've never had an algae problem even keeping NPS corals.

So I picked up a rainford's goby this weekend and he is truly an awesome fish. I normally don't make any purchases without research first and this purchase was no different. So where on LiveAquaria does it say that this fish is difficult to keep? It doesn't! They steered me wrong here.

So I picked up a rainford's goby this weekend and he is truly an awesome fish. I normally don't make any purchases without research first and this purchase was no different. So where on LiveAquaria does it say that this fish is difficult to keep? It doesn't! They steered me wrong here.

I purchased a rainsfords goby and love the fish, very active and was very sociable. One day it just disappeared into the rock work (I believe it got eaten by a hitchhiker crab), was a real shame. Mine would constantly graze on teh LR so as long as you have plenty of life in your tank it should be ok.

I almost bought one a couple of months ago at the LFS. Cool looking fish. I'm confused by your post. Are you saying that it is difficult to keep?

I purchased a rainsfords goby and love the fish, very active and was very sociable. One day it just disappeared into the rock work (I believe it got eaten by a hitchhiker crab), was a real shame. Mine would constantly graze on teh LR so as long as you have plenty of life in your tank it should be ok.

I thinkk the crab eating it was the end result, not the cause of his death.

I almost bought one a couple of months ago at the LFS. Cool looking fish. I'm confused by your post. Are you saying that it is difficult to keep?

Yep, turns out they don't each prepared foods. I lost a 2-spot goby because I didn't research it before I bought it... I was ticked because I did a quick liveaquaria check to make sure it wasn't a handful but additional research shows different results. I don't want a sandmuncher in my tank anymore than I want a mandarin. It does seam interested in cyclops-ease so we will see how that goes.

My rainsford would take frozen or live brine shrimp from to time and also ate rotifiers when I fed my coral. He was really fat when he disappeared as well. I'm more than certain that he was prey for the crab, he used to sleep in the same rock I eventually caught the crab in. We all make mistakes though mate, if your worried about it perhaps cut your losses and see if you can return it for a credit?

My rainsford would take frozen or live brine shrimp from to time and also ate rotifiers when I fed my coral. He was really fat when he disappeared as well. I'm more than certain that he was prey for the crab, he used to sleep in the same rock I eventually caught the crab in. We all make mistakes though mate, if your worried about it perhaps cut your losses and see if you can return it for a credit?

Thanks for the info. We will see how it goes - the only place to take him would be Petco and that would be like sending him to his death. My major LFS is 70 minutes away (well worth the drive) and my coral LFS is 45 minutes away. I guess time will tell.

LiquidTension82

Jason Fox signature insane rainbow paly I picked up at the DVRC swap.

(sorry for the poor cell phone pic)

20131117_122839_zpscaa3e377.jpg

I love this, definitely one of my favorite morphs.

I love this, definitely one of my favorite morphs.

I lost him after only a very short time - he disappeared off the live rock and I never saw him again. He was most likely dislodge by a snail, crab, or urchin and my pistol probably buried him. Not exactly one of my cheaper mistakes. :(

• 3 months later...

Moar photos.

lol, tank is completely stuffed with overgrown corals. I have a forest of rastas. I don't post as much here anymore but I'll try and put a few pics up eventually.

My new tank is a 45g RR cube with a Radion gen3 on top.

lol, tank is completely stuffed with overgrown corals. I have a forest of rastas. I don't post as much here anymore but I'll try and put a few pics up eventually.

Ooooh, I didn't realize you had a 45! Good job. Now I have some catching up to do... :D

Moar photos.

Oh snap!! You're back!! :D

That N logo man, so minimalist aahaahaha.

What does RR stand for?

Oh snap!! You're back!! :D

What does RR stand for?

reef ready. Short for saying it's sumped.

Nice! So you got two tanks now? Just great man. B)

Yes. Bought the complete setup used and set it up when I redid my living room over the winter. Only thing I did was take the JBJ ato off of it and stuck it on my frag tank so that i could put my Tunze ATO on the tank, and toss the Chinese LEDS for a new Radion gen3. The Radion is pretty slick hanging over it.

With this tank, I took down my Aquapod 24g.

Hah, thanks :P

reef ready. Short for saying it's sumped.

I see you started a thread, but you haven't gone balls-deep into it yet right? This makes me one sad panda.

Archived