Cultivated Reef

My Custom PicO

Mstefa1

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sweet jesus look at all them frags! Cherry picking are we?! :D The rack is such a nice fit in the 5.5 ;)

Every one of those came from my other tank. I'm actually ready to frag again. I've got green zoas coming out my ears. lol Not to mention palys that their only constraint is their fight for space. And I've got to frag my frog spawn because the sweepers are enough to wipe out my entire tank! lol

Every one of those came from my other tank. I'm actually ready to frag again. I've got green zoas coming out my ears. lol Not to mention palys that their only constraint is their fight for space. And I've got to frag my frog spawn because the sweepers are enough to wipe out my entire tank! lol

So is this mostly going to be a transfer from the Aquapod to the PicO than? I thought you were going to have "select" corals only?

So is this mostly going to be a transfer from the Aquapod to the PicO than? I thought you were going to have "select" corals only?

Not at all. The select corals that made the cut were already transferred (except 1 that was fragged but not divided until yesterday). The others are in the frag tank, some just because I wanted to frag them, others because I needed to thin out. All will be traded or sold as they grow out and I need more room. Or I'll just get a bigger frag tank. lol

The main difference I've noticed is that with the acrylic rack I don't get as much flow below the rack as I did with a solid egg crate rack. I originally planned on a rack that resembled egg crate however it was about 3" shorter and didn't give me as much room. Eventually I'll ditch the sand but I'm thinking about putting a tiny bit more in my PicO so I'm keeping it at the moment.

Also, I'm not tearing the Aquapod down, and there would be way too much to transfer. Thinking mostly zoas, palys, and SPS in my PicO. The hammer frag that was transferred to my PicO was a hitchhiker that I saved. He glows great under LEDs. I'm a grandis paly guy so I had to have a few in there as well. The zoas are there because I want the glow under LED. The SPS frags were transferred to my PicO just to see if SPS thrived in my PicO prior to purchasing.

But I don't want my PicO empty so there is no problem with adding a few FREE frags. It will be a different story when I have space constraints.

But the fish jumping tells me I need to slow down, at least until I get back from vacation. Anybody want to hook me up with a few frags when I'm in Florida?

Not at all. The select corals that made the cut were already transferred (except 1 that was fragged but not divided until yesterday). The others are in the frag tank, some just because I wanted to frag them, others because I needed to thin out. All will be traded or sold as they grow out and I need more room. Or I'll just get a bigger frag tank. lol

Ah gotcha, that makes sense. GLWS :P

The main difference I've noticed is that with the acrylic rack I don't get as much flow below the rack as I did with a solid egg crate rack. I originally planned on a rack that resembled egg crate however it was about 3" shorter and didn't give me as much room. Eventually I'll ditch the sand but I'm thinking about putting a tiny bit more in my PicO so I'm keeping it at the moment.

Do you still run your AC70 at the lowest flow? Maybe it's telling you to crank it to 11!

Also, I'm not tearing the Aquapod down, and there would be way too much to transfer. Thinking mostly zoas, palys, and SPS in my PicO. The hammer frag that was transferred to my PicO was a hitchhiker that I saved. He glows great under LEDs. I'm a grandis paly guy so I had to have a few in there as well. The zoas are there because I want the glow under LED. The SPS frags were transferred to my PicO just to see if SPS thrived in my PicO prior to purchasing.

How are the SPS doing?

But I don't want my PicO empty so there is no problem with adding a few FREE frags. It will be a different story when I have space constraints.

But the fish jumping tells me I need to slow down, at least until I get back from vacation. Anybody want to hook me up with a few frags when I'm in Florida?

Free frags are always a good idea. Okay, well not if it's Xenia or soemthing :P

Sorry about your fish :(

I have his basket for my ac50, the water level does rise quite a bit at max flow but I run mine about 60%. I will say that even having it running with media for 2 months it never overflowed. Obviously I'm not running it anymore but when I set up a frag tank I will be using it again. Hope this puts your worries to rest a little.

I have his basket for my ac50, the water level does rise quite a bit at max flow but I run mine about 60%. I will say that even having it running with media for 2 months it never overflowed. Obviously I'm not running it anymore but when I set up a frag tank I will be using it again. Hope this puts your worries to rest a little.

Thanks, but doesn't this concern you?

20130425_122238_zps94997c1d.jpg

Yes it did, which is why I reduced the flow rate. Maybe too much floss restricting the flow? I'm just guessing here, StevieT should have some answers for us.

lol why was there a pink egg in it?

probably to show a size comparison of sorts.

frag racks looking good.

lol why was there a pink egg in it?

StevieT needed some place to put the sweedish fish.

probably to show a size comparison of sorts.

frag racks looking good.

Thank you. How come my corals look better in my frag tank then in my PicO?

Update: The brown algae has been replaced with green algae. I couldn't keep up with cleaning my glass every few hours. lol I can't see in the front of the glass it's so covered since I haven't touched it during work. lol

Just dropping by but wanted to say that I ran an AC70 and an AC110 with inTank baskets and as long as the filter floss wasn't compacted or plugged up the water level never overflowed.

So what's better, brown or green algae :lol:

Probably green as it's progressing. My frag tank is still brown. Also have more below my frag rack as the flow is blocked from the rack - may need a small powerhead under it to keep the flow up.

What's the frag count at now for stocking the PicO?

10 although my new zoas are not opening well. Might not be happy or maybe just too much light as I see them earlier in the day.

Just dropping by but wanted to say that I ran an AC70 and an AC110 with inTank baskets and as long as the filter floss wasn't compacted or plugged up the water level never overflowed.

Thanks! I'm very happy with it. Right now I check my frag tank everyday to top off but once I get an ATO in it I'll probably forget about it for a week at a time.

10 although my new zoas are not opening well. Might not be happy or maybe just too much light as I see them earlier in the day.

Maybe still acclimating to the light? You have some pretty high powered LED's for a QT that size. What percentage are you running them at?

Maybe still acclimating to the light? You have some pretty high powered LED's for a QT that size. What percentage are you running them at?

No, not in my QT tank. I run my QT lights full power but that's only a nano driver so it only puts out 0-700ma. All they zoas look great there. Actually in fact, I thought about putting a few more LEDs on there. :)

My AI nano is where my new zoas don't open. My old ones in there open right up fully.

I haven't figured this phosphate testing game yet. I'm very confident I'm testing consistently so here are my results this week...

Aquapod last week: 0.09, this week 0.18.

PicO last week: 0.12, this week 0.09.

The drop in phosphates on my PicO is great as I'm running both GFO & Phosguard. I don't understand the increase in phosphate levels on my Aquapod given that I run a reactor. I replaced the GFO after seeing the results last week. The tank looks fine. The only thing I could think of is a buildup of phosphates over time but given I use a turkey baster, vac the sandbed, perform weekly water changes, and run a reactor I don't have the answer.

As previously stated, my PicO went from brown algae to green algae. It is so intense that it grows back in hours. It's just another part of having a new tank that I'm all too familiar with. I've but several reinforcements from my Aquapod to my PicO to try and keep the glass clean.

My glass is an algae hotbed too. I scrape 2-3 times per day right now. But my nutrient levels are all low so I have no idea. I bought two emeralds to help clean up the rocks and frags. Hopefully they won't turn into jerks but if they do they will go live in the sump. :) hope you figure it out!

My glass is an algae hotbed too. I scrape 2-3 times per day right now. But my nutrient levels are all low so I have no idea. I bought two emeralds to help clean up the rocks and frags. Hopefully they won't turn into jerks but if they do they will go live in the sump. :) hope you figure it out!

I've lowered my light level this morning which resulted in less green algae today. My 2 new zoas have slightly opened up more as a result. If they continue to appreciate low light I'll move them. They were under non dimmable bridgelux LEDs so I figured they would be able to handle my fixture fine. Hopefully my SPS isn't too upset from the lower light levels.

My frag tank continues to look like a brown mess but all the coral frags look wonderful.

Deleted User 4

I have literally zero algae in my picO, I scrape the glass maybe twice a week and that's it lol.

Well, you only have one fish right? Do you feed your corals anything?

I have literally zero algae in my picO, I scrape the glass maybe twice a week and that's it lol.

That's how it starts. ;)

I also have windows with full afternoon sun but I try to have my wife keep the blinds closed when possible.

That's how it starts. ;)

I also have windows with full afternoon sun but I try to have my wife keep the blinds closed when possible.

In the beginning I was getting some algae growth on the glass but for the past month it has been clear as eff.

Well, you only have one fish right? Do you feed your corals anything?

One fish who gets fed daily, and I feed the acans and scoly once a week usually right before a water change.

Archived