Cultivated Reef

My Custom PicO

Mstefa1

Sorry no pictures as I snapped 350 in raw of my son's baseball and my daughter's softball games for opening day, but stick with me as I've got an interesting update.

You would think after all that the least I would have done is cleaned the basement but hell no! After farting around for awhile, I made some saltwater and decided to do a water change in my PicO. I've been using my utility sink to warm up my water instead of a heater. Basically I put the 5g bucket in the sink and add 1 or 2 gallons of hot water. In 5-10 minutes its up 20+ degrees. Not only is this easier then dealing with a heater, it is extremely fast when compared with waiting for the water to warm up. And I doubt it really costs that much more in wasted water and energy then running a heater & powerhead for hours. Also, I don't buy it when people say you need to let your water mix for 24hours. If I remember correctly, my salt directions from Red Sea Pro says mix 30 minutes to no more than 2 hours. I'm satisfied with 30 minutes as I let the powerhead blow some air in the bucket when it mixes.

I decided to change out 4 gallons and when I did that I figured it was time to mount my corals in my PicO. All of them got mounted. I even tossed in a 2nd nassarious snail and a red leg crab from my Aquapod into my PicO. The crabs seam to really like the brown algae so good for them.

And we can't end the fun there. I picked up my Hanna Checker and tested my Phosphorous level after the water change, after the water mixed in the PicO with the pumps on for 30 minutes or so. The result was 0.28ppm phosphate - a reading that I've seen before. This convinced me that my checker must be broken. There is no way it could read that high. So I figured I'd spend yet another reagent and test my Aquapod. I've only ever tested it once with the checker and that time it read 0.03. This time I didn't know what to expect because I am greatly behind on maintenance for this tank and after all my checker must be broken anyway. Well my Aquapod tested in at 0.05ppm phosphate... Higher then I would like but my attention has been on other projects so I've neglected it while still feeding heavily. So clearly there is nothing wrong with my Hanna Checker as I fully believe in this reading.

It's obviously I rushed things into this tank. Normally I would have waited much longer before stocking and I would have done it slower but you also have to understand that I haven't spend a dime on stocking here. All the corals were frags that came from my other tank. The CUC came from my other tank. So if they all died it would be a set back but I really wouldn't have lost much. What you have seen is that I have yet to put a fish in. The fish would contribute the most to the bio load. That's not to say I won't be fishing soon. As soon as my frag guy has my candy cane pistol and goby I'll get my first one but until then... Otherwise I'll be keeping it light until after Disney World. If I have any money left over afterwards and if I'm still dealing with phosphates then I'll be planning that reactor & external pump.

Oh, I've also stole my old under the monitor computer power center and put that in my PicO cabinet. Basically the same thing as a DJ power strip but I already had it on hand. Now I can switch both pumps, my heater, and my ATO and I don't have to fart around with cords anymore which were driving me nuts.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hhahahah. :)

Very nice response haha.

Didn't expect that one coming but actually, the only reason why I'm swapping it out is because of the mounting options. I just hate the ai nano sol stock mountings now and wouldn't want to spend any more money on their ext rail kits or the wireless adapter, etc.

Also, I dislike the 2 wires...soo you're going to have to spend another $50 or more for a wireless adapter, etc..

Otherwise, I'd still keep it.

Maxspect nano razor is just one cluster, but I like that it's a built-in controller and only one wired, and has a better sturdy looking mount.

Anyways, that's just my input. And I hope you won't call me a Ai traitor even though I'm still rooting for them... They're just too pricey for me. If anything, I'm downgrading lol.

LOL, no it's all good. Echotech is extremely pricey. The AI nano has been the only thing available for awhile. The full blown Razor is just way too much for your average nano. You really need to be 20g+ to enjoy it IMO. And it can go on tanks bigger than that. But the Razor nano priced competitively will certainty appeal to those wanting less control, but a fuller spectrum light at an affordable cost. And I agree, the stock mounting on the AI nano sucks unless you have a basic cube. I also think they could make something nicer to hang it then the 2 screws sticking up but I'm pretty happy with my solution.

Deleted User 4

LOL, no it's all good. Echotech is extremely pricey. The AI nano has been the only thing available for awhile. The full blown Razor is just way too much for your average nano. You really need to be 20g+ to enjoy it IMO. And it can go on tanks bigger than that. But the Razor nano priced competitively will certainty appeal to those wanting less control, but a fuller spectrum light at an affordable cost. And I agree, the stock mounting on the AI nano sucks unless you have a basic cube. I also think they could make something nicer to hang it then the 2 screws sticking up but I'm pretty happy with my solution.

Well, I always had the screws not sticking out. And yes, ecotech....freaking pricey as hectic. They would be better off with a nano radion ahah.

I'm going to get the nano razor for sure. Well, actually, I'm going to watch someone else get it 1st and see how it is from there haha.

Yeah. So, so far I've tried a kessils a150w, an ai nano sol. Next is a nano razor. I will definitely want to try out a nano radion when that comes out. Or even a nano vega...with one wire and a built-in wireless controller...Hopefully that comes out in the later years.

Well, I always had the screws not sticking out. And yes, ecotech....freaking pricey as hectic. They would be better off with a nano radion ahah.

I'm going to get the nano razor for sure. Well, actually, I'm going to watch someone else get it 1st and see how it is from there haha.

Yeah. So, so far I've tried a kessils a150w, an ai nano sol. Next is a nano razor. I will definitely want to try out a nano radion when that comes out. Or even a nano vega...with one wire and a built-in wireless controller...Hopefully that comes out in the later years.

I know countless people that are happy with Chinese lights. ;)

For me, I factored in a lot. Mostly the cost of building a fixture that would have a retail look, not something that looks DIY. That was the Makers heatsink with all the trimmings. Then I'd still need some way to control it or just stick with potentiometers... Then worry about disco which is common on DIY nano fixtures that I've seen so I would have to get 3ups. In the end I factored the cost and I'm happy with my purchase. The razor does look cool though.

Deleted User 4

I know countless people that are happy with Chinese lights. ;)

For me, I factored in a lot. Mostly the cost of building a fixture that would have a retail look, not something that looks DIY. That was the Makers heatsink with all the trimmings. Then I'd still need some way to control it or just stick with potentiometers... Then worry about disco which is common on DIY nano fixtures that I've seen so I would have to get 3ups. In the end I factored the cost and I'm happy with my purchase. The razor does look cool though.

Lolol. Chinese lights? I thought Maxspect came out with it 1st? And then the Chinese copied them?

I'm not sure though. I've seen the chinese version of the regular razor and it looks very similar but a little uglier.

You think the Chinese will come up with a nano razor as well? If it's going to be distributed in the U.S., I might as well wait for the chinese then....since it's much cheaper right? I have no idea....lol.

Lolol. Chinese lights? I thought Maxspect came out with it 1st? And then the Chinese copied them?

I'm not sure though. I've seen the chinese version of the regular razor and it looks very similar but a little uglier.

You think the Chinese will come up with a nano razor as well? If it's going to be distributed in the U.S., I might as well wait for the chinese then....since it's much cheaper right? I have no idea....lol.

No I mean standard Chinese fixtures with bridgelux LEDs.

http://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-TT-AL09-Dimmable-Aquarium-Output/dp/B0092LXQRM

Oh. Lol.

Yeah. Many are definitely happy enough with the chinese led lights....

Bulky looking that is.

Have you seen the chinese version of the razor? It's very identical...kinda pisses me off lol.

yep. very similar to razor.

Deleted User 4

yep. very similar to razor.

Hope they don't come out with a nano razor....lol.

How's the frag tank coming along?

Hope they don't come out with a nano razor....lol.

How's the frag tank coming along?

If they copied 1 you can be sure they will copy the other.

Frag tank is good. I took a few frags and put them in my PicO but all the same I like how it looks now with the egg crate. I need to make a media basket for the AC70 as I'd rather not pay $50 for one from intank.

Deleted User 4

If they copied 1 you can be sure they will copy the other.

Frag tank is good. I took a few frags and put them in my PicO but all the same I like how it looks now with the egg crate. I need to make a media basket for the AC70 as I'd rather not pay $50 for one from intank.

Yeah....You're better off adding another new ac70($40) or ac50($30 on amazon)....

Yeah....You're better off adding another new ac70($40) or ac50($30 on amazon)....

No, that would be way too much flow! Just want an easier way to run floss & carbon. The best I could do now is take the sponge out and cut a piece of eggcrate, put floss under it, and put the carbon on top. I don't have any acrylic cement so I can't bond very well.

Deleted User 4

No, that would be way too much flow! Just want an easier way to run floss & carbon. The best I could do now is take the sponge out and cut a piece of eggcrate, put floss under it, and put the carbon on top. I don't have any acrylic cement so I can't bond very well.

Lol. You do know, ac50/70, you can adjust it to the lowest flow possible...

Btw, thanks for talking with me tonight....you've given me a good idea of just purchasing a cheap chinese led fixture instead of getting a nano razor for my ada.....lmao.

What do you think about this on my ada?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009P05DL2/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AGASLUT2HLJKL

Freaking cheap! But it only has white leds....but that's enough for my pom pom xenia jungle!

Lol. You do know, ac50/70, you can adjust it to the lowest flow possible...

Btw, thanks for talking with me tonight....you've given me a good idea of just purchasing a cheap chinese led fixture instead of getting a nano razor for my ada.....lmao.

What do you think about this on my ada?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009P05DL2/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AGASLUT2HLJKL

Freaking cheap! But it only has white leds....but that's enough for my pom pom xenia jungle!

Who purchases an ada then puts a cheap fixture overit?

Rapid LED has sold the onyx fixture for a long time now.

http://www.rapidled.com/full-fixtures/

Deleted User 4

Who purchases an ada then puts a cheap fixture overit?

Rapid LED has sold the onyx fixture for a long time now.

http://www.rapidled.com/full-fixtures/

Me?

Lmao. Well I found better lights on ebay actually.... one with touch sensor like the ai nano sol..., but I doubt this could grow anything other than softies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350734383725?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Kinda on a budget...so yeah. This'll be good for a pulsing xenia jungle in my opinion.

And it's white! :)

Me?

Lmao. Well I found better lights on ebay actually.... one with touch sensor like the ai nano sol..., but I doubt this could grow anything other than softies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/350734383725?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Kinda on a budget...so yeah. This'll be good for a pulsing xenia jungle in my opinion.

And it's white! :)

So if your on a budget, why don't you just stick with what you already have?

Deleted User 4

So if your on a budget, why don't you just stick with what you already have?

Mmmm, I feel it's waste to have an ai nano sol growing pom pom xenias...

Also, sometimes it is hard for me to clean the tank since the ai nano is in the way.

Something small, sleek, thin and cheap (white :)) will eliminate this sort of problem.

Mmmm, I feel it's waste to have an ai nano sol growing pom pom xenias...

Also, sometimes it is hard for me to clean the tank since the ai nano is in the way.

Something small, sleek, thin and cheap (white :)) will eliminate this sort of problem.

You would never recover your investment so unless you have a specific need... Just hang the AI nano light already. ;)

Deleted User 4

You would never recover your investment so unless you have a specific need... Just hang the AI nano light already. ;)

Lolol, I can't. Hanging the ai nano is not an option for this ceiling of the house....

And also, this was never really an investment to start with....aahha

Buying frags and growing them, then fragging them out to resell for profit is the only investment I can see as an attainment of this hobby....haha.

Lolol, I can't. Hanging the ai nano is not an option for this ceiling of the house....

And also, this was never really an investment to start with....aahha

Buying frags and growing them, then frag the the the rythhh ging them out to resell for profit is the only investment I can see as an attainment of this hobby....haha.

the investment is in your enjoyment, not for a business. And u can hang from any ceiling if u do it right.
Deleted User 4

the investment is in your enjoyment, not for a business. And u can hang from any ceiling if u do it right.

Oh, yeah that's true. Well, thing is I don't think my mom is okay with me punching a hole into the ceiling....haha.

Hmmm, I'm thinking of starting another ada tank (30c) if I were to sell off the nano sol.

Going to have a different light fixture in mind for that. :)

Oh, yeah that's true. Well, thing is I don't think my mom is okay with me punching a hole into the ceiling....haha.

Hmmm, I'm thinking of starting another ada tank (30c) if I were to sell off the nano sol.

Going to have a different light fixture in mind for that. :)

I see. Buy your own house... Live by your own rules.

Lolol yupp. That's going to be a while though...

Anyways, I found another kind of chinese led fixture...touch module but no set timer on sunrise/sunset.

It does come with a wireless controller though for dimming features.

http://www.zetlight.com/index.php/products?id=10

That'll work well with an ada 30c.

What do you think? I hate the sticker lol.

So they say. That's a lot of low power LEDs on there so unless you test it with a par meter...

With all these fixtures you would still be constrained by the mount unless you get something with an adjustable mounting arm. Let's say you get a light that will support a 13.5" cube but your tank is 12" cube. Your light won't be centered if the mounting arm isn't adjustable.

Archived