Pod Your Reef

My Custom PicO

Mstefa1

Deleted User 4

Are you going to give me some lighting guidelines? I'm currently 22cw, 18b, 18rb @ 7.5" above the waterline on a 20x10" display aiming for 10hr lighting. I'm currently going a little whiter during the day because I see plenty of blues during the ramp up/down. Besides, that's the beauty of LEDs because I can control the spectrum at my fingertips! Right now I just have the basic timed function setup but eventually I'll set the individual programs.

Thanks!

Mmm, I would go with 30% blues, 15% whites, and 20% royal blues if I were you.... but I'm not too sure considering the height of the tank, is it 20" tall? If so then I'd probably go higher, considering the extra 7.5" space in between the tank and lights, I would go 35% blues, 20% whites, 25% royal blues. I like the blue look more..I think corals do as well.

• Replies 715
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's no way I would spend the money on a designer clown without a top on the tank, Matt. Especially with kids and a dog, he's bound to get startled and go carpet surfing eventually.

If you are interested in my Nano lighting setup it's listed at the bottom of my build thread!

Deleted User 4

There's no way I would spend the money on a designer clown without a top on the tank, Matt. Especially with kids and a dog, he's bound to get startled and go carpet surfing eventually.

If you are interested in my Nano lighting setup it's listed at the bottom of my build thread!

Yeah, don't buy a picasso clown.. and if your lfs has a platinum clown for dirt cheap, I'd go with that.

NanoReefAquariums

well I appreciate the conversation and look forward to seeing your tank progress : )

what types of coral are you trying to stock this system with??

My current tank can be found here...since I took the pictures in that thread there have been a hammer and zoa frag added to the 15g from a 55 I built/sold my college roommate

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/324415-hello-and-hello-to-you-nano-reefcom/

That 55 had a 4 bulb AquaticLife T5 that cost as much as the AI nano : / and supports every type of coral you could imagine lol

Very nice post.

I'm very glad everything seems to be chiming away nice and happy. I have to agree on the idea of QT the coral for a small period of time. Even if it isn't for pests, like you mentioned, there is also nuisance algae to search and destroy before it takes hold. :P

What do you dip with? Sorry if you mentioned it before, I forgot.

Been using Revive in my Aquapod and have never had any pests introduced with the exception of nudi eggs. And to my understanding all the major dips don't kill eggs even though I believe there to be a new dip on the market that claims to. For the record, continued dipping of all zoas eventually killed all the nudis as they hatched with very little headaches.

I've considered sticking with Revive as it has worked well for me but I'm at the end of the bottle and my try Coral Rx as it's seams to be more popular.

Mmm, I would go with 30% blues, 15% whites, and 20% royal blues if I were you.... but I'm not too sure considering the height of the tank, is it 20" tall? If so then I'd probably go higher, considering the extra 7.5" space in between the tank and lights, I would go 35% blues, 20% whites, 25% royal blues. I like the blue look more..I think corals do as well.

Thanks for the data. To be more clear, my tank is 20x14x12" and the display would be 20x10x12" (LxWxH). The sandbed is 3/4" and the waterline is 3/4" below the rim. My AI nano is 7.5" above the waterline. I figured I would have to increase the intensity but I wanted to start out low until I had coral to minimize post cycle algae. Thank you!

I'd think I may have to agree with you there, as that would be an expensive dog treat or cat toy. lol I don't have any problems with fish jumping - including my pair of firefish - but being rimless changes the perspective.

Deleted User 4

Yeah, seems fine as it is to me.

And I prefer you stick with the topless look. Just don't buy any jumper fish lol.

well I appreciate the conversation and look forward to seeing your tank progress : )

what types of coral are you trying to stock this system with??

Yeah, don't buy a picasso clown.. and if your lfs has a platinum clown for dirt cheap, I'd go with that.

LOL maybe the Picasso if I have money to throw away! My LFS has a pair of ORA true percs right now. Well none of my LFS are local! My distant one being the largest in the country has just about everything in terms of fish but corals are crazy expensive.

My distant but slightly closer one is my frag guy, and he doesn't stock many fish but gets them in weekly per order. A Facebook message can get me anything readily available.

Yeah, seems fine as it is to me.

And I prefer you stick with the topless look. Just don't buy any jumper fish lol.

I prefer my tanks as I do my women, topless. ;)

Been using Revive in my Aquapod and have never had any pests introduced with the exception of nudi eggs. And to my understanding all the major dips don't kill eggs even though I believe there to be a new dip on the market that claims to. For the record, continued dipping of all zoas eventually killed all the nudis as they hatched with very little headaches.

Well I am going to try the "RPS ALL-OUT" that supposedly claims it kill eggs. I don't really believe the hype around it though. I think a good brushing helps, but you can never be 100% sure. We just have to do out best.

Is it any different dipping soft corals, like a torch for instance?

I've considered sticking with Revive as it has worked well for me but I'm at the end of the bottle and my try Coral Rx as it's seams to be more popular.

It was between those three for me as well. I ended up getting the new RPS one as it had a special introductory price, and from what I have read for those who tried it, said it worked well. I think any dip is fine though. Coral RX is pricey it seems.

Thanks for the data. To be more clear, my tank is 20x14x12" and the display would be 20x10x12" (LxWxH). The sandbed is 3/4" and the waterline is 3/4" below the rim. My AI nano is 7.5" above the waterline. I figured I would have to increase the intensity but I wanted to start out low until I had coral to minimize post cycle algae. Thank you!

Nice, I keep my water pretty close to the rim as well. I don't understand those people who have like 3 inches between their rim and waterline. I suppose it could be to get more wave action, but I have even messed with my mp10, and can get a nice little wave 'lapping' action without spillover.

I'd think I may have to agree with you there, as that would be an expensive dog treat or cat toy. lol I don't have any problems with fish jumping - including my pair of firefish - but being rimless changes the perspective.

That's awesome about the firefish. They seem to be "known" jumpers. It's all luck of the draw I guess.

I prefer my tanks as I do my women, topless. ;)

LOL :lol:

I've dipped all corals with no issues in revive for roughly 15 minutes. Don't dip inverts such as claims and stuff!

I've got excellent flow with my returns so I'll hold out w/o the MP10, same as I did with my other tank. Perhaps when it's fully stocked and I get bored with it. lol

I've dipped all corals with no issues in revive for roughly 15 minutes. Don't dip inverts such as claims and stuff!

I've got excellent flow with my returns so I'll hold out w/o the MP10, same as I did with my other tank. Perhaps when it's fully stocked and I get bored with it. lol

Oh ya those dips are crazy toxic to any inverts. Actually the RPS one they recomend you QT the coral after and run carbon for minimum 2 days (depeding on turnover) to absorb all of the excess that may have absorbed in any of the corals tissue. It's pretty potent from what I have read.

Everything seems very happy in your tank, and you obviously have good flow judjing from your beautiful sand dunes :lol:

Love the sand dunes! That's why I like to rinse my corals in tank water (which isn't a required step) to remove the excess coral dip before putting in the tank.

My little buddy and I made the front page of the newspaper today! We were at the park yesterday flying his kite when a photographer from the paper asked if he could take our picture.44ab97da-5341-4481-b81f-a27510bc0481_zps

That's awesome. Best Dad Ever.

it was awesome how i brought the kite in close and he got both us and the kite in the same picture.

That's awesome. Best Dad Ever.

it was awesome how i brought the kite in close and he got both us and the kite in the same picture.

Is it a Spongebob kite?

u know it!

Mine took me forever to do...the worst part is after you do it the first time...the next time around when you update is like wtf is important enough to put on the index...?

Where are the pics mang?

Dude I've been blowing this thread up with pics!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Signature worthy.

Epic! Long after I posted it I considered adding it to my sig. Your welcome to on my behalf if you like.

I've spent some time considering the future reactor which will probably happen at some time. when it happens, it will probably be the MR1 shorty reactor that I previously mentioned. And since I didn't originally plan a reactor, space is an issue so I will probably spend the extra bling and run an external pump. I've been considering the Eheim 1048 universal pump that based upon all the reviews I've read should be very quiet.

So does anyone know where I can get a pair of 1/2 OD U-tubes that can connect to 1/2" ID tubing? If I had a heat gun I'd make them myself but I'd be afraid I'd melt the tubing with my blow torch. This would probably make it easier using U-tubes over the tank rim. Remember, I'm dealing with a tiny spot to get the tubes in and out w/o modifying my sexy rear chamber cover. I'd probably end up asking Chris @ PicO Aquariums to cut me another cover because it would be a very tight fit and he could make me a new cover looking better then I could modify the one I have.

On my last order, I picked up a 1/2" bulkhead for a possible RODI container. Now dealing with 3 tank water changes will become a hassle if I don't do it. The place I made my last order didn't have uni-seals so I ordered the bulkhead and I remember seeing a rectangle brute bin that would be perfect to put a bulkhead in for an RODI storage container. I don't have a large enough bit (think I need 1 1/4") so I was going to get one as well as the bin and a 1/2" threaded pipe and valve. Assuming I was happy with this I would then get a float switch for it and hook it up to my little RODI unit. The plan is to fill the bin, but still use gallon jugs filling from the bin because it's so easy to precisely measure water and salt this way.

Unfortunately, that didn't happen. I was up late last night so I didn't make it to the gym this morning as planned. I took my son to T-ball practice @ 11:30-13:40, then stopped home for lunch. We darted back out of the house to go to my daughter's 14:00 softball practice only to realize I left my keys in the house. Since it was close enough we walked to the practice field but my intention was to drop her off and head to Lowes and that didn't happen since I forgot my keys. I had to wait with my boy 2 hours outside until my wife got home from work. After that, I went to the gym, fired up the grill, and the rest was history. Needless to say I didn't get any reef work done today.

Archived