SaltCritters.com

55 Gallon - 2 years old

bencollinz

What kinda photo software do you have?

You'll want to shoot in RAW, set white balance to basically whatever you want (usually 'warm' works best). Put the camera in 'Av' mode for shooting corals - this is aperture priority. You set the f-stop (usually as low as it will go, this makes only the focal point clear and everything else blurry) only and the shutter speed is variable. Put it in 'Tv' mode for shooting fish (or moving objects) - this is shutter priority. Set it to 1/125 for shooting fish.

ISO is another setting you'll need to worry a little bit about. Usually you'll want it set to around 400 or 800 - the higher the number, the less light you need, but the more noise is introduced and if you rely on ISO to keep your pictures from looking dark, then your pictures won't look all that great.

Once you take the pics, your post software will handle getting the white balance right - usually on import it gets really, really close, but sometimes you'll need to manually adjust it. I use Photoshop Lightroom, and if it doesn't look 100% right, I use the 'auto adjust' and it is usually spot on. Lightroom has a bit of a learning curve, but it's really, really awesome software for not only adjusting photos, but keeping track of them.

Check out this thread from jeremai on photographing your tank: http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/190521-photographing-your-reef-and-posting-your-photos/

photoshop cs6, lightroom (never used)

1780643_542638243430_334377429_n.jpg

1622081_542638173570_1125045688_n.jpg

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

first of two SPS, stylo?
1554337_542638168580_733893729_n.jpg

first acan
1601028_542638178560_1315391905_n.jpg

orange spotted sleeper/diamond watchman goby - I've wanted this fish for a lonnnnng time
1798535_542638253410_1866727011_n.jpg

FTS: 1/21/2014
1510733_542638283350_1107368645_n.jpg

how are you liking the goby?

Much better than the freckled goby. Leaves sand on the bottom instead of dropping it in the current.

Much better than the freckled goby. Leaves sand on the bottom instead of dropping it in the current.

I'm lookin to add another sand sifter... them sleeper gobies are out of the question, they just drift up and deposit sand wherever...

I guess it's the gold headed ones i'm talkin about..

I'm lookin to add another sand sifter... them sleeper gobies are out of the question, they just drift up and deposit sand wherever...

I guess it's the gold headed ones i'm talkin about..

Any of the spotted sleepers are good. Blue and orange I've had.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Where do I need to put the birdsnest? It never has PE. Right now it's under the vortech on the right.

skimlessinseattle
The higher the better.
Ben, I agree. Try somewhere in the higher PAR areas with good flow.

Do you have a current pic of the stylo?

How are the other corals doing?

Ben, I agree. Try somewhere in the higher PAR areas with good flow. Do you have a current pic of the stylo? How are the other corals doing?

both of the SPS are dead. such is life.

1891205_544144879120_602254651_n.jpg

and my frogspawn isn't looking too hot lately. it hasn't fully inflated for at least a week now

skimlessinseattle

Did they RTN or STN?

Is the frogspawn getting too much flow? They do deflate for periods of time now and again, so there may not be anything necessarily wrong.

Did they RTN or STN? Is the frogspawn getting too much flow? They do deflate for periods of time now and again, so there may not be anything necessarily wrong.

STN.

450 Ca

1500 mg

180 alk

0.00 po4

frogspawn doesn't get much flow.

skimlessinseattle
STN.

450 Ca

1500 mg

180 alk

0.00 po4

frogspawn doesn't get much flow.

Do you run carbon and if so, how much of what kind?

orange spotted sleeper/diamond watchman goby - I've wanted this fish for a lonnnnng time

1798535_542638253410_1866727011_n.jpg

How active has your goby been? I got a diamond goby a few days ago and haven't seen him since.

He is very active now. The first few days he hid under the rocks. Unfortunately my blenny is now picking on him but he's starting to stand up for himself. He was only an inch when I brought him home. Now he's at least 2 inches. The blenny is close to 4. I'm hoping as the goby gets bigger the harassment ends. The blenny just chases him under his rocks that he calls home. He loses interest and the goby comes back out. He does eat fine so I'm not worried, yet.

Archived