SaltCritters.com

REEFMASTER's Breaking down, leaving hobby for a while

Reefmaster1996

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reefmaster1996

I bought 12 lbs dry from tampa bay live rock and added about 6lbs from my other tank that's 2 yrs old.

UPDATE:

I got a Powder Blue tang

FtS

FtS

sorry for the crappy pics due to floating crap in the water I was cleaning the sump and I don't run filter socks.

post-69045-0-34940700-1390858613_thumb.jpg

post-69045-0-28126300-1390858681_thumb.jpg

post-69045-0-10602600-1390858747_thumb.jpg

Whoah man, a PBT in a 30x30? Those things get big and need a lot of room. That brings you to how many fish in just a few weeks of the tank not having ammonia?

As I started same time or earlier and am dealing with ammonia with almost the same setup, I am curious how you are managing this...

I only have two clowns, mind you I didn't run Skimmer and Carbon for 10 days.

Reefmaster1996

Skimmer has been on from day one, same with carbon, ammonia recently dropped about 1.5 weeks ago and was very low for a week before that, I have 10 fish and my skimmer still out skims the tank and the head collapses for a few hours, the tang is not meant to stay for the majority of its life I'm thinking two yrs max. Tank will be four weeks old this Saturday, and I did the 14 day zeo cycle, used 8-9 lbs of established rock, and seeded water with a piece of filter from another tank. And so far I have had zero issues.

Reefmaster1996

I think the main factor behind this that is different from Aj is the oversized skimmer and the addition of carbon ASAP according to the zeovit cycle, which I noticed had a great impact on ammonia from the get go. I will post a vid of the tank soon so you guys don't think this is all a hoax lol. You have every right to doubt and question my tank and methods, that is why I believe you guys deserve a video update, plus I owe one to my subscribers too.

I am familiar with the zeovit cycle. I just don't want things to crash because you are adding too fast. Even with zeovit, lots of issues can crop up. That's one of the reasons I stopped using it after 6 months.

Reefmaster1996

Thanks, I appreciate the concern, I'm definitely keeping an eye on things, so far I seen pods for over a week and I have Pileolariasp. (Calcareous feather dusters) growing all over the glass, so I'm not worried at all. I've had this amount of fish for two weeks already aswell, which I know is no recognizable period of time in this hobby, but for me it helps me sleep. Lol, happy reefing

Awesome just watched it. Jealous a bit. Could be the shops in the GTA they go through such a large volume of fish that it's impossible to buy healthy fish it seems. Your sump looks amazing. Well done hopefully it stays stable. I have been considering buying a vertex omega 130 to increase my skimming.

Looks great dude. Will be making a video eventually.

Reefmaster1996

Wow, thanks, everything you see was hand made except the obvious equipment, so that makes me happy that I was able to achieve my main goal of creating the image in my head with a quality very few large scale manufacturers can match. I say go for the omega, you will feel the difference the moment you touch one, the skimmer is a reef octopus pov dc1 which I bought wholesale like most stuff, I was going to buy the omega 150 but I got a good deal on this skimmer that I couldn't pass up, but the reactor is vertex and the quality is unmatched in my expierience.

Also I did have the advantage of hand picking all my fish at the LFS I work at, and the fish stock that I picked from was already hand picked by my boss, so I pretty much got the cream of the crop. Wish everyone else could have that oppurtunity but it doesn't work like that sometimes.

Reefmaster1996

Update: ordered part of clean up crew,

50: dwarf ceriths

15: nassarius vibex

So just snails for now to take care of algae and the vibex actually stir up sand and then eat excess food, kinda cool I might add.

Ordered form reefcleaners, I luckily live in florida so shipping is low and prices are unbeatable, and I can expect it on my front door on Tuesday.

I'll order more clean up crew as needed later on.

Reefmaster1996

Oh and my baby picasso onyx clown gave me a heart attack today, so I'm out all day fishing with my dad, I come home, and I notice he's gone. First thing I do is check the carpet, he's not there, than I check all the rock work, not there either, hmmm. I begin to sweat a little, I turn of the pumps and skimmer and let the overflow drain. I check the overflow which is not covered, he's not there, I begin to sweat bullets. I then check the filter socks, not there. I begin to bite of my nails, I then open up the ball valves, and realized I might have just crushed him by doing so if he had his little body lodged in there, my heart drops. I then take the ball valves off and he's no where to find. I take a deep breath and re check the over flow that drained all about down to an inch of water, and low and behold there he is!! I come back to life, and return him to the display, lesson learned, I'm not covering the overflow, because if I did and he jumped again he would die, and I'm not taking of the screen mesh top unless the tanks is under my direct super vision.

I'm going to also buy some 1 in PVC to raise the full siphon PVC in the overflow so that if for some reason this we're to happen again there's less of a chance of him getting sucked up and lodged in my ball valves and crushed to death.

TheyCallMeMud

Oh and my baby picasso onyx clown gave me a heart attack today, so I'm out all day fishing with my dad, I come home, and I notice he's gone. First thing I do is check the carpet, he's not there, than I check all the rock work, not there either, hmmm. I begin to sweat a little, I turn of the pumps and skimmer and let the overflow drain. I check the overflow which is not covered, he's not there, I begin to sweat bullets. I then check the filter socks, not there. I begin to bite of my nails, I then open up the ball valves, and realized I might have just crushed him by doing so if he had his little body lodged in there, my heart drops. I then take the ball valves off and he's no where to find. I take a deep breath and re check the over flow that drained all about down to an inch of water, and low and behold there he is!! I come back to life, and return him to the display, lesson learned, I'm not covering the overflow, because if I did and he jumped again he would die, and I'm not taking of the screen mesh top unless the tanks is under my direct super vision. I'm going to also buy some 1 in PVC to raise the full siphon PVC in the overflow so that if for some reason this we're to happen again there's less of a chance of him getting sucked up and lodged in my ball valves and crushed to death.

yikes man i would've been flipping out, especially with a designer clown like that, glad you found him though, tank looks SICK

Reefmaster1996

Nothing exciting to report at the moment, clean upcrew gets her Tuesday. Saving up for led DIY and stand cover. Hopefully I'll have something exciting soon.

Reefmaster1996

CUC actually gets here today or tommorrow, misunderstood john at reefcleaners, couple of surprises, but a skimmer pic should compliment What AJ's talking about in his thread. I'll also post one on his thread.

As you can see the skimmer is still over skimming water with 9 fish and a tang

It isn't producing skimate at the moment because of this, look at the collapsed foam head.

post-69045-0-10286600-1391716653_thumb.jpg

post-69045-0-98544900-1391716778_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Reefmaster1996

Tank is doing fine video update soon, school has not allowed me to post lately, sorry guys. Let's just say I have a 7wk old reef

Archived