Cultivated Reef

REEFMASTER's Breaking down, leaving hobby for a while

Reefmaster1996

Reefmaster1996

Was taking a trip down memory lane and for comparison this is the clearest this system has been since setup (about a week old) post 258 on this pg http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/313718-reefmasters-new-clarity-issues/page-11

Tank looks like currently looks like post 277 on this page but slightly cloudier http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/313718-reefmasters-new-clarity-issues/page-12

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey aj what do you think of using zeovit additives without a reactor

?

Hey I don't mind answering this over in my other thread, don't want to hijack Reefmaster's.

Reefmaster1996

No problem, feel free I want this to be a place for people to learn, discuss all you want, I'm not the type of person to get angry about that type of thing, discussion is what this forum, and any other forum is about, I may Learn some things too

Found a fixable 24 gallon IM Nuvo tank in trash behind LFS, will have some mods done, by some glass and put her back together

Brs comes tommorrow

Between you an Aj I kinda wish I would have gone shallow! Awesome tank! Maybe when I finish my 70g I can do a shallow tank. I can tell my wife it's a frag tank. Maybe I'll get away with it!

Sounds like the clarity issue is a bacteria bloom. I have gone trough it before. Just have to ride it out!

Reefmaster1996

Yeah I dosed the coral snow AJ reccomended just 20 minutes ago, aquascapes after epoxy putty set form yesterday. Fts tommorrow.

Another note the nuvo has a big crack on the side, they have a one piece curved glass front that forms sides, I will either get a local glass shop to remake that panel, or take it all apart down to the bare panels, get the local glass shop to square off the bottom corners, and reseal it together with new front and side panels, making it rectangular instead of curved, or I may just order bigger panels and use the back and over flows to make a wider tank, either way it will be a frag tank. Not to worried about cost, all said and done will cost me 150-225$ For a 400$ tank stock or even more for a custom frag tank

And go for the shallow tank, there sweet

Reefmaster1996

Dosed coral snow as directed 3ml for about 75 gallons, it's been 18hrs and the tank is about as cloudy as before, any advice AJ. Only improvement I've noticed is less algae on my mp10 and back wall.

jedimasterben

All coral snow is is clay that sorta acts like a flocculent. Are you running any mechanical filtration? Your skimmer should do a lot of the legwork, but a good low-micron filter sock can clear a tank (with a flocculent) in a couple of hours. I have three single micron filter socks that I used when I would do something like stir up the sand or had a lot of particulates floating around, and added Seachem Clarity (which is a flocculent) and then a few hours later the sock would be overflowing and the water would be clear :)

Reefmaster1996

I do run socks, like a actual feet socks when I clean detritus out of the sump, doesn't seam to be particulates, I never ran mechanical filtration ever on my last tank (20 gallon), and I had the clearest water I have ever seen, still a little annoyed, I'll give it till Monday and then I'll buy a bag of chemi pure elite, which has always worked for me in the past.

Thanks for the advice, might get a filter sock aswell

So far it seems a bit better now that I take a good look at it, there are some particulates floating around, I'm going to put a sock on and see what happens

Reefmaster1996

Turned on lights and the tank looks just as it did before I dosed the coral snow. I have not feed any zeostart since I stopped earlier last week, all the inhabitants seem fine, just has that slight cloudiness that annoys the crap out of me, any suggestions AJ, or anybody else. Just getting annoyed with the tank a bit, still nothing of major concern

I am running actual feet socks, and I put my carbon in one for more direct flow, and all the particulate matter seems to be gone, but the slight haze persist.

Turned on lights and the tank looks just as it did before I dosed the coral snow. I have not feed any zeostart since I stopped earlier last week, all the inhabitants seem fine, just has that slight cloudiness that annoys the crap out of me, any suggestions AJ, or anybody else. Just getting annoyed with the tank a bit, still nothing of major concern.

Not much you can do except water change frequently and wait. Remember earlier on in this thread when everyone was posting about how many fish you have and how it is too fast. Well this is why.

Obviously you know your stuff and all the fish are healthy so I don't think you have to worry much about things dying or anything however, this is a direct result of your system not being able to keep up with your bioload yet. You have excess bacteria in the water column which multiplies incredibly fast. This bacteria is there thriving on the ammonia nitrite and nitrate, that your live rock and Zeolite cannot process.

Eventually it will stabilize but nothing much you can do here except keep on top of water changes, or get rid of some fish. You are basically waiting for Autotrophic bacteria to catch up and out populate your Heterotrophic stuff (milky white). This takes weeks and is why people recommend adding one fish every few weeks in a new setup. Heterotrophic bacteria can divide every 20 minutes, compared to every 12-20 hours for autotrophic bacteria.

Reefmaster1996

I understand, I was surprised at how well the tank reacted to adding that many fish at first I didn't realize I had an issue until these past two weeks, so far I have only done one 5 gallon water change to this system since it was started. I don't think I'll be getting rid of fish, as I still want to add a select few in the future after this minor setback is resolved. Thanks for the mini lesson on the heterotrophic and autotrophic bacteria, I will keep that in mind and I think I'll go ahead and do a couple of water changes over this next week.

I still don't seem to have any nutrients issues, which is why I've held off on water changes, to experiment how long this system could last without one. My original intent for this system was for low nutrient Sps and little to few water changes. I hypothesized that as long as I kept nutrients in check, maintained water params and minor elements, that I may be able to get away with very few water changes. So far this experiment has proven my hypothesize despite the bacteria problem, which I don't think is in direct correlation to the lack of water changes, correct me If I'm wrong?

Other than that the tank is doing fine, fish are breathing normally, I'm still gaining color on some Sps and a stunner chalice, my derasa clam is doing great, and my baby rose bubble tip I added a few days ago(forgot to mention) is happy as well.

Params:

Alk: 7-8

Cal: 440

Ph: 7.9 (probably a bit low due to the bacteria)

Temp: 80F (might lower to 78 to slow bacteria metabolism and help Clear water)

So in conclusion only issues are the slight haze, and also for some unknown reason my mystic sunset monti is bleaching, along with a green digi, while my other green Digi is coloring up and looking better than ever, and I am coloring a montipora spongodes back up form bieng brown. Any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions are welcome.

Will upload pic in the next couple of minutes to show how tank is doing, and proof that it's all still alive lol!

Reefmaster1996

Was looking at pics from a month ago and I had same bioload as I do now, but water was crystal clear, I'm beging to think this is a lack of water changes problem

jedimasterben

Just let it ride and stop worrying about it IMHO. I've had bacterial blooms that have taken weeks to clear up, and I've had some that lasted a couple of hours. It'll work itself out, just be patient :)

Very first thing I would do is a larrrrrge water change. Vacuum the sandbed and blast all the live rock. Get as much gunk out of there as you can. My assumption is that this all stems from no water changes especially with that many fish. Everything happens slowly in water chemistry so even though you had same bioload a month ago the nutrients probably hadn't built up yet.

I think you should plan on doing small weekly water changes. Even if your water quality is decent from running zeovit it will help with re-upping trace elements and maybe some of your fading corals. Lack of Potassium could be the cause of the Monti fading.

Since we set our systems up at around the same time and are running almost identical filtration I can tell you that I am still not out of the woods in terms of having a stable biofilter.

After adding the Tang in my reef I started feeding more and I noticed a bit of cloud for 2 days and ammonia was creeping up a bit while things stabilized again.

This is with two small clowns and a tang, so I cannot imagine how much your system is dealing with.

Again I think you can handle it and get through it, but IMO it doesn't really matter what type of reef you set up everything begins and ends with water changes.

Reefmaster1996

I again appreciate the advice, I'm mixing about 6 gallons as I type, was really trying to experiment with the tank, I have been considering doing weekly water changes of about 5 gallons with this system, with biweekly 5 gallons being a minimum. Thanks for the positive remarks about the scape the fish and I love it, tons of space for acans, plates, and my personal favorite maxima clams

forgot to show my baby anemone, she's about 1.5 inches across at max

and my fav at the moment ORA Gold Derasa

rubber band is not holding anemone down, it is on the rock I used to use for feeding the tang

post-69045-0-02744700-1394988671_thumb.jpg

post-69045-0-77630000-1394988802_thumb.jpg

Archived