Cultivated Reef

REEFMASTER's Breaking down, leaving hobby for a while

Reefmaster1996

Reefmaster1996

Tank update:Water is a little more cloudy as expected, after the 7 gallon water change. The temp is successfully gone down and maintained at 78.4f. Meaning my stand ventilation fans also work as cooling fans, making another goal achieved, will dose coral snow every night this week and do a 5 gallon water change Wednesday, and then again Friday. Will keep you guys and gals updated as always.

Also will see if I can trade some corals for nice Sps

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reefmaster1996

Tank is doing as well as it can with a minimal bacterial bloom, I am skimming wet as of this past weekend, already dumped a full cup of brown tea, dosed2.25ml of coral snow last night, all inhabitants are doing great as well, baby anemone made her first poopy in the tank, and looks even bigger after she took in more water afterwards.

She seams to like the island, and really hasn't moved much.

Reefmaster1996

Update:

Params

Cal 430

Ph 7.9-8.0

Alk 7-8

Nitrate 0

Phosphate 0

Tank is doing great, water is finally much clearer, still doesn't have that fresh carbon look, but it is much closer, it might just be me but it is almost perfectly clear, it may be perfectly fine to others but for me it could still be a hint clearer. It's clearer than when I started noticing a problem though, so there is progress. I think one more night of coral snow will do the trick.

Anemone pooped again, seems to poop right at 3:15pm so far, it's been right on cue past two days. Kinda weird, and interesting to see if this persist.

Video tommorrow

Reefmaster1996

Tank looks even more clear, dosed final dose of coral snow, so far as long as I don't add to the bioload in the next week or two we should be fine, which I don't plan on adding any thing soon. I think I am just getting out of the woods with this one.

Reefmaster1996

Tank is 100% clear! everything is finally kicking in with the zeo! Could not be happier with the setup, will update this weekend, too much homework for a good video.

Reefmaster1996

Making video in next 30 minutes, tank got some particulates in the water after I took out a dirty filter sock, by then it should be as clear as before I removed the sock, and was motivated to make a video because if how clear it was.

Reefmaster1996

Tank is doing good depsite today's water test results, in which I was able to test mag and cal which, my test kit ran out, and I don't have a mag test kit, it appears that I have been running this tank with high cal and mag for about a week or more, which may be why some of my coral weren't doing as well as they should.

Cal 500ppm

Mag 1440ppm

Alk7-8dkh

Ph 7.9

Nitrate 0

Phosphate 0

I had fixed this problem before, but when I noticed the clam sucked up tons of cal in little time, I guess I overdid the dosing bait, oh well we can all Learn form our mistakes, it could have been worse, and had I had my test kits this would probably not had happened, will resume normal lower dosing Monday.

This looks really cool. Awesome job.

Just stop dosing for a few days and test daily. You will find your consumption rate pretty fast.

Reefmaster1996

Yeah I know, I was fine till I ran out of test kit solution, glad you like the scape, I thought it was quite unique, it's had to fully capture in pictures but even in video it's not the Same as in person.

The only thing that I though changed my previous consumption rate, which I knew was 1ml a day, was my clam, will lower dosing to that again Monday or Tuesday.

Also as I side note, apparently the James Fatherree, who wrote the "bible on clams" is now supplying the store I work at with the nicest Sps frags I've seen in a while, will bring some home hopefully soon, the plugs there on are very porous and different looking frag plugs than the normal stuff, and he seems to use a small dab of putty instead of glue, interesting.

Also as I side note, apparently the James Fatherree, who wrote the "bible on clams" is now supplying the store I work at with the nicest Sps frags I've seen in a while, will bring some home hopefully soon, the plugs there on are very porous and different looking frag plugs than the normal stuff, and he seems to use a small dab of putty instead of glue, interesting.

That is awesome, can't wait to see you start filling this thing up. Thats good the plugs are nice. I usually try and snap the frag off a plug if I can and glue it to a pice of LR rubble to make things more life like. Although right now my system is full of plugs. I hate it.

Reefmaster1996

I am the same, these plugs are great for a good looking frag tank, and to put frags on the sand bed, but I would still take them off anyway, what I meant is the presentation of the frags is really nice if you know what I mean.

Reefmaster1996

Thanks man, glad I can help others out, just remember, we all face problems in this hobby, as nice as the setup is, and as much money as I spent on equipment, I still had a couple of hiccups along the way. The tanks that standout the most are the ones, that have overcome problems, and are still around after hitting bumps in the road.

Reefmaster1996

Posting fts tonight, tank still looks great, I have started dosing zeostart again since this Monday, and everything seems in check, clarity is great, nothing nice as far as coral goes, still haven't been able to paint stand covers, it's been raining all week, too humid for a good paint job, light is bieng worked on (by me), should have a test run of the light ready for early April.

Anemone and clam are still very happy, clowns still aren't hosting which is a good thing since the anemone is still small

Still saving up for coral, mp40, doser, and finishing the new light build, big updates coming in April.

Will post fts and video later tonight.

Reefmaster1996

FTS

more

and side view

excuse the lighting/ camera making the tank look as if it has a blue haze, water is perfectly clear at the moment

post-69045-0-53290000-1395970931_thumb.jpg

post-69045-0-77463600-1395970945_thumb.jpg

post-69045-0-82881200-1395971093_thumb.jpg

Reefmaster1996

also just realized the hazy glare is due to me wearing a white shirt that is being reflected by the clean glass, sorry guys, need a special shirt for fts from now on, I always wear white undershirts as pjs and this is what makes my fts look like crap all the time. This explains alot

I'd forgo the powder blue, just because of their extreme activity level. Not to mention they get rather bullish once they get size on them.

Looks good man. Got a question for ya, I'm sure you went over it somewhere in the thread. Easier to ask though lol...

You did the standard 14 day zeo cycle right? I have zeobak, zeostart, and sponge power. Should I pick up anything else for the cycle? Seems like that's what everyone uses.

Reefmaster1996

Yea I did the 14 day cycle, as long as you have rocks for the bacteria to colonize, you can double check with AJ who has posted here earlier

I'd forgo the powder blue, just because of their extreme activity level. Not to mention they get rather bullish once they get size on them.

Yeah he was more of a rescue, will sell him when he gets bigger or if he doesn't stop picking at my clam

Not worried about his activity he is rather chill for a powder blue, doesn't swim in constant circles,just picks at rocks and does his thing

Reefmaster1996

Working on tank today, started by cleaning algae off back wall, then vacuumed the whole sand bed(wil do once a week now), and I am doing a ten gallon water change to replace the water lost during the sand vacuuming. Got tons of gunk out, the tank was having a bacterial bloom again today, again my ph didn't drop and it was barely noticable, tank is still balancing out, will keep doing 10 gallon weekly water changes from now on, the tank was negelcted for two weeks without any water changes, but my corals are coloring back up from the first calc/alk swing a month ago.

Reefmaster1996

Traded the powder blue for a juvenile dejardini tang, he's only about an inch, will post pics tonight, this guy is so cute, he's the smallest I've ever seen, will get some coral as well from the trade from friend, zoas and encrusting corals

Reefmaster1996

Checked params today,

Alk 7dkh

Cal 500 (dosing will be cut in half again) .5ml a day

Mag 1440(will lower with cal)

Nitrate 0

Phos 0

Temp 77.5-78.3

Ph 7.9

Tang started eating within 10 minutes of being added, came back from movies with sister and he is still doing great and ate some pellets, and nori. He is a cute little bugger, and has quite the character to chill with fish 2-3 times his size ( he's even smaller than my baby clowns) like its nothing, will take vid and picks tonight to avoid afternoon sun glare.

Archived