Innovative Marine Aquariums

REEFMASTER's Breaking down, leaving hobby for a while

Reefmaster1996

Reefmaster1996

As can be seen in the picture my ORA Derasa clam's tissue is fading, in certain areas, I had notuiced this on the edge of the mantle, after it was nipped at by the powder blue tang that was removed a while back, I thought it was the tissue growing back, but it has spread to other parts of the clam. I have not changed anything other than we have previously discussed. I think it could be that my water is too clean and it needs food? ANy THoughts?

also near the foot I have notice a slimy substance, as if my wrasse slept uhder the foot, but I don't think e does? is that bad?

post-69045-0-68702300-1402272996_thumb.jpg

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
NirvanaandTool

I've never kept clams so I can't help there.

I want to know the important stuff.... Did you wire and test your light?

Reefmaster1996

Not yet, been busy lately, hopefully I can this week.

I did move the clam to a lower flow area, I double checked and he may have been in to high of a flow area, reducing his filtering ability and food source.

Will post vid and pics tonight, corals are coloring back up.

As can be seen in the picture my ORA Derasa clam's tissue is fading, in certain areas, I had notuiced this on the edge of the mantle, after it was nipped at by the powder blue tang that was removed a while back, I thought it was the tissue growing back, but it has spread to other parts of the clam. I have not changed anything other than we have previously discussed. I think it could be that my water is too clean and it needs food? ANy THoughts?

also near the foot I have notice a slimy substance, as if my wrasse slept uhder the foot, but I don't think e does? is that bad?

James Fartheree in his book calls this bleaching. He explains further:

It will not recover till action is taken.

Caused by 2 main culprits: light shock and/or temperature.However they can also bleach due to under-illumination and/or lack of nutrients.

From the description Fartheree provides, it seems that you have central bleaching.

Usually the waste produced by fish is enough to sustain clams. Clams like ammonia, nitrates and phosphates. You can add live phytoplankton, very fine powdered foods like new life spectrum nutricell. Algagen took out live zooxanthelea which could help. There are lots of supplements available for clams that you could try.

Don't target feed the clam or it will cough. Instead crop duster it from above to let the food slowly fall on it.

HTH

Reefmaster1996
James Fartheree in his book calls this bleaching. He explains further:

It will not recover till action is taken.

Caused by 2 main culprits: light shock and/or temperature.However they can also bleach due to under-illumination and/or lack of nutrients.

From the description Fartheree provides, it seems that you have central bleaching.

Usually the waste produced by fish is enough to sustain clams. Clams like ammonia, nitrates and phosphates. You can add live phytoplankton, very fine powdered foods like new life spectrum nutricell. Algagen took out live zooxanthelea which could help. There are lots of supplements available for clams that you could try.

Don't target feed the clam or it will cough. Instead crop duster it from above to let the food slowly fall on it.

HTH

I do crush some pellets, and make it into a paste with tank water and froze it a while back, I will Try it out, so it may be a lack of nutrition either form to clean of water or too little light hmmm. I will try the food ASAP. As far as light it's on the sand bed but I don't want to raise it higher due to flow thier causing what I think to be the problem, lack of stability to filter in higher water flow.

Clams can only absorb the very smallest of particle size. Individual phytoplankton cells cannot be seen without a microscope and yet even in the phyto family, there are some species that the clam cannot eat. Crushed pellets for sure are too huge.

Reefmaster1996

Good to know, I got phytoplankton at work yesterday and dosed last night with skimmer off, added my 250 watt halide again, need a better looking bulb, color is like 12k. Will dose every night, and order a better bulb.

So clam should be ok again, will update later with pics and vid.

Reefmaster1996

Well I wired the luxeon m and managed to pop a diode of the pcb board, I accidentally left the negative end on from one of my pwm cables from he storm on after I already used one for ground, one brush against the led solder joint and pop goes the weasel, also managed to break the soldering iron, it was a crappy Chinese one and the heat cracked the plastic over time so not a good start to the build, will update with visual candy tommorrow, been really busy getting stuff for a fishing trip down to the keys at the end of the month.

NirvanaandTool

Ouch that sucks about the popped diode. Take the good with the bad and just fix what you gotta do. We all make mistakes.

Fishing trip in the Keys? I'm jealous. That's something I'd love to do. I'm jealous of you Florida guys and the fishing you get to do. I just went fishing here in the bay in Ocean City, NJ and did some fluking with my pops for Father's Day - got a bunch of fish including 1 keeper. Fun times for some early fluke season fishing.

Reefmaster1996

Yeah, it's a ton of different things I got to work on with my dad as far as getting tackle, truck,boat and trailer all ready for the long drive and trip.

Will try to update soon, life has been keeping me to busy to post stuff, tank is looking sweet though.

Hi, sorry for the delayed response to your PM. If this was not a Deresa clam I would not be confused. Bleaching is usually a lack of light, but Deresas don't often have this problem, as they usually do good even in the shade. I doubt your water is to clean, as the symptoms of this is retraction, gaping, or in extreme cases PM disease,

The slimy substance is a stress response, like flem for a sore throat. Any predators damaging the base would not effect the color though...so HMMmmmmm.

NirvanaandTool

Yeah, it's a ton of different things I got to work on with my dad as far as getting tackle, truck,boat and trailer all ready for the long drive and trip. Will try to update soon, life has been keeping me to busy to post stuff, tank is looking sweet though.

I know the feeling and I dont even have the truck and the boat to deal with. I spent all week getting my gear & tackle together. Take some pics on the trip!

Reefmaster1996

Will do, the gopro is going too, so ill take video to share with all the anglers merking in the shadows. the clam seams to be responding well, the slime is gone, it seams to be slowly regaining color, as i compared the original photo to it now, it seams to be improving woth the phytofeast and the 250w halide. i did order a coralvue 20k bulb form work which is what is used on the frag tanks and works amazing at bringing out color. Also i get al my coral from those tanks so, it will make acclimation a breeze. the halide will buy me time while i work on the led fixture. Also it will be neat to compare results.

NirvanaandTool

Gopro? Nice. That will be awesome to see. Are you guys going out targeting any specific species or just whatever is biting? Glad to hear the clam is on the mend.

Reefmaster1996

reef fishing (snapper, grouper, maybe some dorado, amberjack,and if we see some permit of the wrecks that should be spawning this time of the year) its all fair game, and possibly collecting a specimen or too of anything interesting, depending on what I see while snorkling.

I am doing a water change and will post tank vid tonight and an FTS. waiting on my new bulb to get in but the one i have is suffice for a few pics.

Reefmaster1996

well just found out my new desktop computer doesnt have micro sd slot for my camera file, will have to borrow my moms laptop tommorrow to upload pics and the video.

Reefmaster1996

Yeah, I haven't got one yet but my moms laptop has a port that works for one so, I will use that when she's done using it today, so I can show the tanks current condition of awesomeness off.

NirvanaandTool

reef fishing (snapper, grouper, maybe some dorado, amberjack,and if we see some permit of the wrecks that should be spawning this time of the year) its all fair game, and possibly collecting a specimen or too of anything interesting, depending on what I see while snorkling.

I am doing a water change and will post tank vid tonight and an FTS. waiting on my new bulb to get in but the one i have is suffice for a few pics.

Nice, sounds like a good time. Good luck man.

Reefmaster1996

Tank is fine, I know I have promised pics and a video, I've just gotton so busy with my fishing trip, work, my internship, and now volunteering at the humane society. I have not neglected the tank, just those who are following this thread.

I am leaving for 5 days as of tommorrow morning, the tank is going to have a gravity feed auto top off from a 5 gallon bucket which should be more than suffice.

I will try my best to update one everything with pics when I get back, for now I say farewell nano reefers, hopefully I don't come back to a mess.

Ps. The clam is make a full recovery.

• 2 weeks later...
Reefmaster1996

Well, I Got home monday, and have been to busy to make updates. In short everything is alive, my sps have grown and colored up abit, the clam is almost fully recovered, depsite my salinity slowly rising to 1.028

• 2 weeks later...
Reefmaster1996

Well let the pictures speak for themselves, hopefully you can ear them say, that I got a new halide bulb, a new clam, and that my derasa is its old self again. what they did not say is that I have an addition that I have not shown since I got him about a month back. I will show him of in my vid update soon. Also I got rid of my old sps, to begin slowly stocking weekly on some nice sps from work.

post-69045-0-96307500-1405131144_thumb.jpg

post-69045-0-01930600-1405131160_thumb.jpg

post-69045-0-83695800-1405131199_thumb.jpg

Archived