ReefCleaners.org

REEFMASTER's Breaking down, leaving hobby for a while

Reefmaster1996

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reefmaster1996

Started dosing Red Sea foundation (abc) all in one powder, I did not know it was all in one, I thought it was cheaper because it had all three (a b and c) in smaller quantities, so I also bought Brightwell aquatics alkaline 8.3p to raise my low dkh. I also bought the colors program which has trace elements, since I don't plan in frequent water changes and I have had success so far at 2 months with no water change with the coral doing fine. I did by the additives for growth and color which I am currently lacking. So far my calcium has gone up from 400ppm to 520ppm in the past week and alk has slowly risen from 5-7 dkh and should keep rising to my goal of 10dkh.

Params are as follows(API test):

Ph 7.9-8.0 as of 9am

Calcium 520ppm

Alk 7 (slowly raising to 9-10)

Nitrate 0

Phosphate 0

Mag: don't have a test kit for,

Review on Red Sea foundation and colors program soon to come, but so far so good.

Reefmaster1996

Ok so I went to the LFS I work at, and tested magnessium

Mag: 1420ppm

Cal: 500ppm

Alk:8dkh

Nitrate:0

Phosphate:0

Ph:8.0

I am getting stn on an acro that has not been doing well since dosing, just on a couple of tips, should go away as it's done before.

Also mag is a little high same with cal, I did reduce my reef foundations dosing by half so 5ml a day instead of 10ml, might even go down to 3ml. Alk dosing is 10ml a day, so far so good.

Reefmaster1996

Testing tommorow morning, to see if I might split dosing into twice a day for better alk stability, still saving up for a doser and other stuff. Thanks for the input, yeah I thought calcium might be a little high. Glad your clams are doing better. Hopefully I can look into getting one this summer.

Reefmaster1996

Tank is stable on alk, testing as of 7:00am

Cal:still 500ppm (will check again tonight and update) should be at 460-480ppm, will wait to lower and then maitain at proper level

Ph: 7:9-8.0

Mag: will test agin Friday.

Reefmaster1996

Will split dosing up into two:

9ml of alk in the morning and the same amount at night

Red Sea abc 1ml in morning, same amount at night.

Zeostart3 5 drops in morning and 5 at night.

Red Sea colors program .5 ml Monday, and Friday

Zeofood 3drops Monday and Friday

Zeobak 3 drops Monday and Friday

Reefmaster1996

Yeah I thought I was off somewhere, that's what I get for shooting for numbers not what seamed alright in the first place, I guess I'll let cal lower to 450ppm, mag should lower with cal since I'm using an all in one Red Sea powder, (reef foundations abc), dkh should lower to 7 then too.

Params as of 5minutes ago

Cal 490ppm

Mag: IDk

Nitrate 0

Phosphate 0

Thanks for the help, good luck with your zeovit, so far everything is perfect in my tank despite the params bieng slightly off and one acro frag with burnt tips.

Looking forward to adding more fish, and coral, I already know what you guys are going to say about adding more fish, but with no harsh feelings, it's my tank and this is the look I'm going for, lots of biodiversity and acro colonies, just like the wild

Reefmaster1996

Params as of right now:

Alk: 7-8dkh

Cal: 480ppm

Ph: 7.9

Nitrates 0

Phosphate 0

I'm still dosing small amounts to keep alk around 7-8dkh which has worked so far, waiting for cal to drop to 460ppm to start maintnance dosing, other than that everything is fine.

Tank is much better, especially considering my alk was at 5dkh before dosing and cal at 400ppm, water clarity is much better too after I changed carbon and started daily dosing small amounts of zeostart.

Video update this weekend

Reefmaster1996

I was dosing zeovit start3 from the getgo, just once a week though, I'm currently dosing daily now, just trying to follow instructions. Hate Making mistakes. And consistency is key, so IMO more regular small doses is better than one medium one once a week.

Params:

Alk 8dkh (going to keep it at 8 and not go done to 7 for the heck of consistency)

Cal still 480ish ppm

Mag idk

Nitrates 0

Phosphate 0

How's you're tank doing. I want updates! Lol ;)

I was dosing zeovit start3 from the getgo, just once a week though, I'm currently dosing daily now, just trying to follow instructions. Hate Making mistakes. And consistency is key, so IMO more regular small doses is better than one medium one once a week.

How's you're tank doing. I want updates! Lol ;)

You absolutely need to dose Zeostart in small doses frequently, it doesn't work well and can crash a tank if you do a big dose all at once. Its a carbon source for bacteria, so you want to feed it slow and steady to keep a stable population of bacteria growth that then gets skimmed out. Too much at a time especially later in a tank's life will cause a bad bacteria bloom which can start a chain reaction. In fact its highly recommended to dose it in tiny doses throughout the day. I dose it 2x a day once in morning and once at night.

My system is doing well, I will be updating sometime this weekend with a March FTS and so on.

Reefmaster1996

Yeah, I am currently dosing it on the same schedule as you, even when I dosed it once a week I only dosed 6 drops, the normal daily amount as I am now aware.

Thanks for the advice though

Reefmaster1996

I bought a 3.5" ORA Derasa clam,

Parameters:

Alk:7dkh

Cal:460pp

Sg : 1.026

Pics and video later

Reefmaster1996

So params are still stable, dosing regiment is now normalized, coral coloration is improving including the return of bright white stripes on my first coral ever, acan(2yrs old). Clam is happy as a clam! Lol, update later this week with fts, and video as usual, hopefully ordering last batch of goodies for the DIY led light on the 15th of this month, might work on tank next week which is my spring break, still need to finish stand and organize some wires.

Then I'll work on light, have it ready hopefully by April, save up for doser system and containers, set that up in April, and then buy a mp 40 and some maricultered Sps colonies by mid-May, and call it a reef.

Archived