Top Shelf Aquatics

REEFMASTER's Breaking down, leaving hobby for a while

Reefmaster1996

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't get it. How is it a cube if the hight isn't the same as length?

I believe the correct word is "Cuboid". :lol:

Tank is doing great, everything is coloring up, will do fts tommorrow

Excellent, looking forward to it.

Reefmaster1996

Thanks, just spent an hour working on tank, cleaned out detritus form sump, cleaned the back wall and razored all the Pileolariasp from the display glass and the sump, I guess that's where my calcium has been going lately. I also changed out di resin in rodi system Tank still need stand to be finished and wire management on the left side, other than that she is looking much better,and ready for tommorows photoshoot. Wish I had a nicer camera though

I don't understand the comment isit supposed to be funny lol, what do you mean

I am watching True Detective, much better than TWD in my opinion. The "pffff" was like a "never mind The Walking Dead, watch True Detective instead"

Reefmaster1996

Oh I would have understood if I knew true detective was a show, thanks for the break down, to each his own, whatever floats your boat/ gets your coral to grow lol

Reefmaster1996

Fts postponed, I have this slight cloudiness that I just can't get rid of, put in new esv carbon and nada. It's in a filter bag using passive flow in sump, thinking of getting better quality stuff and using a tlf150 reactor, any thoughts, I know zeovit requires high quality carbo is this what happens when those need aren't met?

Nothing crazy but still annoying

Reefmaster1996

Thanks, if only my water could clear more, I think I'm going to bite the bullet and order a tlf150, brs carbon, and a rio pump.

BRADYBUNCH7

I am watching True Detective, much better than TWD in my opinion. The "pffff" was like a "never mind The Walking Dead, watch True Detective instead"

Hey aj

How should I keep my carbon in my tank

Im thinking of using the koraline-zucht along with my cleartides reactor should I use

• passive flow
  • TLF reactor
  • or something else?

Hey aj

How should I keep my carbon in my tank

Im thinking of using the koraline-zucht along with my cleartides reactor should I use

• passive flow
  • TLF reactor
  • or something else?
Hey you are likely experiencing a bacterial bloom. Could be that your bio load is getting ahead of your natural bio filter. Heterotrophic bacteria reproduce very quickly faster than the more effective autotrophic kind. Only real concern other than the fact that it may be from excess nutrients is your O2 level. The bloom uses a lot of oxygen and can cause a tank crash if you don't keep and eye on it. If fish are breathing heavy add an airstone for a bit.

Stop dosing ZeoStart for a couple days as a bacterial bloom can be a sign of Organic Carbon OD. Even if it is not the cause it will feed it. In a couple days dose half the ZeoStart as usual and see if it comes back. I recall you upping the dosage of ZeoStart a week or two ago could be the residual effect of it.

Water changes won't really do anything here you just have to wait it out.

As for carbon it's not recommended to use a media reactor for carbon with ZeoVit or any ULNS. Once things get very low the carbon becomes too strong. I suggest a passive media bag in a high flow area of the sump. If you can, knead the bag every few days. Keeps it clean and effective.

Skip the reactor order and just wait it out. Just a hunch: perhaps adding all those fish early on is causing a bit of a nutrient spike. Probably not a big deal but keep and eye on ammonia and nitrite. I have yet to see a new tank not experience a bloom like this. Generally it's better to have it happen when there are no fish in there though.

Reefmaster1996

Yeah I did have what you described earlier on like 3-4 weeks ago which was no biggie, fish were fine, this isn't really a big bloom at all. The water is clear but since the tank is 30x30, from the side it just has a hint of cloudiness, a better description would be that it slightly lacks that clarity experienced when new carbon is added, I'm not worried, I just am annoyed by the look, it's nothing serious, everything is fine getting good color back out of browned out Sps, it's been like this for over a week, but I have maintained daily dosage for longer than that, I will hold off buying the reactor. It may be a small bloom. I will stop zeostart dosage for a couple of days to see what happens. I greatly appreciate the help. I just want the water to be as clear as my 20 gallon when it was in its prime.

Will update, as others may learn, and be aware of what can happen early on in zeovit systems.

If it has lasted for a week it is 99.999 a bacteria bloom. Not detrimental if its as minimal as you say, just aesthetically unpleasing. Over a week is a long time but not unheard of.

You have to wait until your nutrients drop again. The bacteria in the water column although minimal, are there because of excess nutrients.

An extra water change or so a week could help here, but don't bother going crazy with them because as quick as you add more water the bacteria reproduce, also its better to let your system deal with the nutrients and balance out.

Biggest thing is do not add anything new for a few weeks and let it settle down.

As mentioned, stop ZeoStart until the water is crystal clear for a few days, skim wet, also if you have access to it now is a good time to dose CoralSnow

Reefmaster1996

Thanks man, appreciate the great advise, tank is about the same on day 2 of not dosing, like I said befor it's a aesthetic thing mostly, will hold off on additions, lower feeding, and skim wet, will update as this progresses. So far she's still kicking, and Sps coloration is still getting better so for now where in the clear, just not out of the woods yet. I was going to order the coral snow but I will hold off for a week and see how the tank does without it. Just a little experiment

Thanks man, appreciate the great advise, tank is about the same on day 2 of not dosing, like I said befor it's a aesthetic thing mostly, will hold off on additions, lower feeding, and skim wet, will update as this progresses. So far she's still kicking, and Sps coloration is still getting better so for now where in the clear, just not out of the woods yet. I was going to order the coral snow but I will hold off for a week and see how the tank does without it. Just a little experiment

Regardless of if you need it to fix a problem or not, I highly recommend coral snow. It clears the water dramatically overnight, helps feed the corals, helps deposit ZeoBak and other additives to where it needs to go, and it helps the skimmer pull out nutrients before they decompose.

You will never see your tank clearer than the next morning after dosing CoralSnow overnight.

I dose it once weekly, there are people in the Zeo world, who dose daily...

Reefmaster1996

Thanks, can't wait to see what your build will look like after this weekend, do you have a build thread

Archived