Top Shelf Aquatics

REEFMASTER's Breaking down, leaving hobby for a while

Reefmaster1996

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Reefmaster1996

PVC schedule 80, don't you think I'll lose a bit more than 100gph especially sense I have about 4 feet from sump to return and 1/2 inch plumbing not the standard 3/4.

Reefmaster1996

I'll do braided nylon tubing as my back up plan if I can't get the flow I want out of a 1300gph pump because that would be a waste of money at that point and much cheaper just to use tubing not hard lumping, but the question still stands.

I think you're fine with either of the 900 gph pumps. Sch 40 pipe is plenty, but sch 80 fittings are usually better made. Use a 1/2" x 1/2" x 3/4" tee to do the conversion. Use 45's right after the tee to make the turn up. 1/2" unions before the returns. 3/4 ball valve just after pump.

• Like 1
Reefmaster1996

Alright I guess if not I can always return the pump and get the bigger sicce.

I'm going with the ehiem 1262 (900gph).

Reefmaster1996

True but its really about 75 gallons total volume with sump and tank, but yeah I guess that's what I will do then. Updates coming soon, I really hope.

• 2 weeks later...
Reefmaster1996

You know your a reef junkie when your parents are watching tv and your mom calls you downstairs (knowing your addicted to tanks) to see a comercial with a fish tank in a bathroom, and your dad tells her "be quiet, I don't want him to get any ideas". Funny thing is my dad enjoys my tank the most out of everyone.

What did you pay for the glass sheets with shipping? Thinking about getting a cube and never considered this as an option. Seems like a good idea.

Reefmaster1996

197$ 3/8 normal glass with polished edges, if you want to save money and you trust your hands, DIY is the way to go. Nothing is more rewarding than filling up a tank you hand made and are proud of.

SCH80 is completely unneeded for home aquarium use It can handle a higher pressure than SCH40, but none of our plumbing is under nearly enough pressure to worry about. SCH20 would probably work just fine if not for being thing and easy to crack/break.

I went with the ultra flexible PVC from marinedepot, the 1" wasn't as flexible as I'd like, but the 3/4" is nice. Make plumbing easy, gave just enough wiggle room on things without having to worry about being slightly off with anything. Also nice to be able to glue everything and not worry about barb fittings and hose clamps.

Almost forgot! I used Gorilla Glue PVC cement, primer and cement in one with no VOC's. Was super easy to work with, has no smell and any excess cleans up with a dry paper towel.

Reefmaster1996

Thanks for the advice, ill checkout the marine depo stuff out, I love the look of sc80 for now

Update coming soon.

Reefmaster1996

Okay guys, I finally drained the main display to day and cleaned her up. I had the tank filled with fresh water for almost 3 months and my craftsmanship proved more than sufficient. I built this tank like a tank, lol :). I am almost done with the sump, I have a little more razor blading to do, the final seams, and the baffle installation. I am very happy so far. Everything shown in the following pictures is hand made by yours truly and a burden of loves e joy. I obviously am not even near finished with this project, I'm am making sure to take my time and produce the best reef tank I possibly can. With that said I hope you guys have patience with my project's progression. I also still am raising funds for the equipment. Check out pg one for an updated version of equipment. What is really holding me back is the fact that my parents (I'm only 16), are obligating me to save up 1,000$ before I finish the project, and I am to maintain at least 1,000$ in my savings account at all times. I completely agree with them and I think it is in my best interest. I will reach about 750-800$ by next week. So we're almost there guys (7 weeks left until I reach my goal). Not much time left before we kick on the afterburner on this thing (I'll be working full time this summer). So by about May of this year we can start to finish this tank off. I have a lot of work ahead of me on this project, but I know it will be worth it in the end and I am not discouraged at all, enjoy the updated FTS http://s1323.beta.photobucket.com/user/Reefmaster1996/library/80%20gallon%20system%20build

This thing is going to be bad a$$, I promise ;)

That's awesome! Good luck with everything. Too bad you an't place some sand and rock in the tank to let it cycle, as that can take forever., and give you something to look at while you wait and save :P

Reefmaster1996

I will do that once I buy my return pump and plumb the tank but I literally have no room to spend money, because I only work Fridays after school and make like 25$ a week at my local LFS. I work extra when I get breaks and stuff, like next week I have spring break which will help a lot. I might do dual return pumps two sicce 3.0 or one 5.0. I get less wattage use and more power if I do 2 return pumps plus reliability. If anyone wants to chime in on this feel free, I appreciate someone else's opinion. The dual pumps would cost about 30$ more but I think the pros of running dual returns would out wiegh the extra 30$ that it cost making it worth it, again if anyone could give a second opinion that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the support JDH!

Reefmaster1996

Worked on sump today, almost done just need to finish cleaning the inside (silicone excess) and put the baffles in after I get one cut in order for it to fit and so that my fuge overflow into the reurn section.

Reefmaster1996

Sorry, maybe an update will cheer you up!

Sump is done except the baffles. Everything shown so far is completly DIY by yours truly, enjoy, http://s1323.beta.photobucket.com/user/Reefmaster1996/media/80%20gallon%20system%20build/dc16fbe5-9c60-42f3-aaf0-f0a572e09696_zps992b0e23.jpg.html?state=copy

And yes I'm bringing sexy back, ( into the reefing world baby!)

;) all the pics with the sump are updates

I see you have 4 bulkheads. What are your plans? Everything looks really goodman. The square sump is pretty nifty. I had thought about a square sump at one point for my larger cube...but as you can see thats not set up lol

Reefmaster1996

Yeah the sump isn't exactly square(26.5x21.25x16) it was going to be but due to the reduced space that was used in the back for reinforcement because of the unique bulkhead system. That stand I built can withstand an earthquake, it's got wood in every spot I could fit it. Oh the 4 bulkheads are two returns(smaller ones) and 2 drains (bigger ones), its going to be a coast to coast overflow meaning its going to be as wide as the tank. I'm going to see if I can pull of a herbie style drain with one drain operation all the time and the other as a backup, if not ill just go normal dorso and mod it to be quieter. Still have a lot of work ahead of me, but so far how this thing is turning out is a great motivator.

Reefmaster1996

Wow guys I already have 3 other tanks planned out other than this one that I want to setup. Talk about the reefing bug.. A 40x20.75x14 DIY rimless smaller aggressive tank (fuzzy dwarf lionfish, blue throat trigger, angler fish, skunk grouper, maybe a couple of eels, etc), a 21 gallon frag system 22x22x11, and a 32 gallon 23x23x16 or 26.5x21.5x16 Sps reef for my bedroom. We'll see how that goes.lol

Archived