Top Shelf Aquatics

REEFMASTER's Breaking down, leaving hobby for a while

Reefmaster1996

• Replies 548
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a nice thread. Subscribed. Keep the updates going. Many people do keep an eye on threads but because of time etc and they coud be following many threads they don't comment.

Reefmaster1996

The tank is holding up to the abuse it's been 2 weeks and its been sitting on its stand full of freshwater in the garage and even if I splash the water like a kid in a kiddy pool, it doesn't budge or break a sweat. I LOVE DIY, I rather invest in my own craftsman ship that some stranger's and trust them to do a good job no matter who they are, after all its not their tank. This tank build will incorporate a lot of DIY projects( led lighting, tank build, sump build, dosing pumps out of aqualifter pumps etc) I guess I'm a bit of a redneck at heart. GET ER DONE!

Ps: the sump tank's last glass piece comes in next week Saturday, it should be built and tested by the end of the month. Pics soon to come.

I LOVE DIY, I rather invest in my own craftsman ship that some stranger's and trust them to do a good job no matter who they are, after all its not their tank.

Well said :) You are braver than I to attemp a DIY tank though!

Reefmaster1996

Glass is coming in to complete the sump next Saturday. Tank Is still in one piece and my DIY job on it looks promising o say the least. I built it like a tank, pun intended.

• Like 1
Reefmaster1996

Another update:

I will post pics this weekend!

Okay so far the tank has been holding up really well. Not one drop of the water has leaked and we are closing in on the 3rd week of leak testing! ( I know that's long but I might as well since I'm afraid due to low monetary funds the cycle will be slightly postponed (it should be running on salt by June).

The good news is , lol, I called glasscages and my glass order pickup is set for this Saturday at 2:00 pm! I'll try to work on the sump but I can only get the physical tank built but not the section dividers in because I need a local glass shop to cut a piece out of the refugium wall so that it can overflow into the return pump area (this was no accident, it was planned).

Also I'm taking down the 20 gallon as soon as the I cycle this tank. I will run only this (larger) reef tank for a couple of months while I save up and build by 37 gallon 23x23x16 shallowish rimless cube in my bed room( where my 20 is currently). As always this build is already pre planned and will basically be a smaller model of this build, it'll be a Sps dominated with some nice zoas and Adan's on the bottom.(which will go in my downstairs living room). Since I'm in high school and I respect the fact that this is my parents house ill only be running two tanks at a time, maybe a third tank at most.

Also I forgot to mention, my grandma is getting old and she is moving in with us. In order to make this work out we are adding a wing to the second story that will be huge and have a separate gaming/living room. This will be constructed this year and the third and last tank I currently plan on owning would go in here, it would be a species fowlr tank. I'm thinking either agressive smaller fish(fuzzy lionfish, small grouper, anglerfish) or a small tank with a dwarf octopus. Maybe a seahorse tank. I only want to run two reefs at a time and the predator tank is mostly only a slight possibility, just an idea for now but we'll see.

Reefmaster1996

I have no idea but right now a third tank is the least of my worries I still need to finish the first build save up and start the second and then finally think about a third tank. By the time I get around to doing my 37 Sps bedroom tank, it will be next summer not this upcoming summer. The third tank might be built before the bedroom one just because of cost.

On another note I get to pickup my glass for my sump tank and my overflow from glasscages! Finally we can get some work done on this system, I've been waiting for these parts for a while and without them there wasn't much I could do.

Reefmaster1996

Patience Julian nothing good happens fast, I'm still got to build the sump tank, find a glass shop to modify a divider for the sump, install the overflow, drill holes in it for the returns, plump this thing, buy all the equipment, cycle, quarantine and stock. We're talking more about June for a setup date, the DIY work isn't the problem, I can get that done whenever, it's the equipment that's taking me a while to get, but I rather take my time and go step by step. I should have every thing as far as the tanks, plumbing and stand done by spring break, and then start buying equipment. Keep in mind that long equipment list on the first page. And technically it's already wet, with fresh water for tests lol! Right now it's all about the cash I need to set up this beast. This thing is literally going to be state of the art. I cant wait to work on it tommorrow. I should be able to get the sump built without the dividers and I need to order a drill bit for the overflow to be drilled at work before I install it. Plus I've got other projects I got to do.

Patience Julian nothing good happens fast, I'm still got to build the sump tank, find a glass shop to modify a divider for the sump, install the overflow, drill holes in it for the returns, plump this thing, buy all the equipment, cycle, quarantine and stock. We're talking more about June for a setup date, the DIY work isn't the problem, I can get that done whenever, it's the equipment that's taking me a while to get, but I rather take my time and go step by step. I should have every thing as far as the tanks, plumbing and stand done by spring break, and then start buying equipment. Keep in mind that long equipment list on the first page. And technically it's already wet, with fresh water for tests lol! Right now it's all about the cash I need to set up this beast. This thing is literally going to be state of the art. I cant wait to work on it tommorrow. I should be able to get the sump built without the dividers and I need to order a drill bit for the overflow to be drilled at work before I install it. Plus I've got other projects I got to do.

Ill agree with all that it just kills when i see my tanks sitting there.

I like to drill my tanks, set them on the stand, then play the waiting game, run them as FOWLR for a while then start hitting the big ticket items, It what i did with my dads 55gal sps tank now, we set it up ran it as FOWLR, slowly added the powerbeads, lighting, etc. We had slow progress but at least got some gratifcation from the FOWLR while the tank finished being wacky from its post cycle jargon. Same with my lps tank. To everyone outside the reefing world, they only see fish, they completely ignore coral to some degree. which is why i run them as fowlr until they become a reef. But thats just my humble opinion, To each there own, If i had the patience i can not say that i wouldnt of waited to buy all of my equipment then start as you are. Whats going to happen to your tanks when you graduate?

Reefmaster1996

They are going to be fine because I'm going to graduate in 2015 from highschool, and I'm probably getting my bachelors degree at USF and then go to either law school or medical school, I'm not sure yet but I'm staying in state and hopefully as close to home as possible.

On and I did the same with the 20 as you did with your dads 55. I'm working on the sump tommorrow morning Update: I received everything yesterday from glass cages. I am 100% satisfied other than the 1 hr pickup delay due to traffic and other factors, but that's fine with me, I'm getting glass for cheap and the overflow only cost 68$, pics coming after the sump is built tommorrow.

Reefmaster1996

Built sump tank, it turned out amazing, and I did it completely by myself (my dad helped me with the display), surprised him after work! I still need to razor off excess and finish the seems. But I realized due to slight natural errors from the people who cut my glass the sump turned out 1/4 inch shorter than expected but that's okay I just have to get the fuge's wall cut any way so that's okay. Pics coming soon I promise!

Built sump tank, it turned out amazing, and I did it completely by myself (my dad helped me with the display), surprised him after work! I still need to razor off excess and finish the seems. But I realized due to slight natural errors from the people who cut my glass the sump turned out 1/4 inch shorter than expected but that's okay I just have to get the fuge's wall cut any way so that's okay. Pics coming soon I promise!

they better glad to read about the progress!

Reefmaster1996

Working on sump this weekend, still haven't got the fuge wall cut, been really busy lately, but I'm going to get some work in on the system. Pics hopefully soon

Reefmaster1996

Pics coming Friday as I don't have school. Also for anyone out there I have an important question. Okay so I have 4 holes drilled in my tank as shown in previous pictures, 2 are 1/2 inch returns and the other two are 1 inch drains. The returns plumbing (pvc) will have about 3 90degree angle elbows a and a T elbow. I want about 600gph-800gph, I'm considering either the ehiem 1262(900gph), the sicce 4.0 (900 gph) or the sicce 5.0 (1300 gph). Will I get 600-800gph if I use one of the 2 smaller pumps or will I have to use the bigger sicce? Keep in mind that I have 1/2 plumbing on the returns not 3/4.

Archived