Pod Your Reef

The Zoa and Paly Club

kveekx

DSC_1521.jpg

Got this one as a hitchiker, the polyps seem to be fully grown since I've had it for some time now but only about 1/5 the size of our avg zoa. I've got pompom crabs holding anemones bigger than these polyps.

DSC_1521.jpg

Got this one as a hitchiker, the polyps seem to be fully grown since I've had it for some time now but only about 1/5 the size of our avg zoa. I've got pompom crabs holding anemones bigger than these polyps.

Micro zoas? Can it be? lol They look nice, nothing crazy but solid colors.

Black Magic

And there ya go. They have a name.

Black Magic

Thank you!

Micro zoas? Can it be? lol They look nice, nothing crazy but solid colors.

And there ya go. They have a name.

They are pretty micro compared to all my other zoas, even the way the mat spreads is totally different.

I scored another grandis paly from my LFS yesterday. He doesn't like to part with them however I know how to push his buttons. :) He actually has a personal tank in the store that he doesn't sell from and whenever I see something grow out talk him into giving me a frag. The nice part is he charges very realistic prices on livestock.

Now I have about a half dozen brown grandis palys that started from one, an ultra green grandis paly thiat is quickly growing into two, and I just picked up a darker green one. Part of the deal with the ultra green one is that I have to bring back a frag when it grows because he said they grow slower then the other colors.

I'll try and post a pic of the darker green one I just got however he is the ultra green one. It looks electric under LEDs however I have MH.

DSC03591_zpsc14841fd.jpg

I know it looks like it has that tiny little bit of algae at the base however I couldn't remove it when I first put it in the tank and it hasn't grown in the month+ since I had it.

I scored another grandis paly from my LFS yesterday. He doesn't like to part with them however I know how to push his buttons. :) He actually has a personal tank in the store that he doesn't sell from and whenever I see something grow out talk him into giving me a frag. The nice part is he charges very realistic prices on livestock.

Now I have about a half dozen brown grandis palys that started from one, an ultra green grandis paly thiat is quickly growing into two, and I just picked up a darker green one. Part of the deal with the ultra green one is that I have to bring back a frag when it grows because he said they grow slower then the other colors.

I'll try and post a pic of the darker green one I just got however he is the ultra green one. It looks electric under LEDs however I have MH.

DSC03591_zpsc14841fd.jpg

I know it looks like it has that tiny little bit of algae at the base however I couldn't remove it when I first put it in the tank and it hasn't grown in the month+ since I had it.

Looks sharp. Where do you place them in regards to flow/light? Ive had one grandy i could never get to open fully. Only had it 3-4 months, but it showed no growth in that time either...just generally un-happy with me. I had it in what i consider 50% light, and moderate flow. It started off in intense light, heavy flow with the other palys...but i moved it upon a locals recommendation.

Low flow & light. If you look at my thread they are in the back right corner of my tank. I spot feed them often. The brown one feeds often however the green one only feeds when it desires. It seams very skittish and once startled it takes awhile to open back up. The new dark green one hasn't fully opened yet.

RiddleEagle18

How do you guys get such great pictures? Ive even tried with my wifes cannon rebel and they come out crappy.

Got my frags in from frag junky and these pictures dont do them justice.

Fruit Loops, LA Lakers, Watermelons, Raspberry Fields, and the single polyp is a red hornet. They threw in what they called Rising Suns. That one is front center and I actually like it the best I think.

IMG_0261_zps48d921f5.jpg

The frag in the back left I found at my LFS today. Anyone know what this is? The picture is messed up but they skirt is neon green with a purple body and an orangeish eye.

IMG_0259_zpsf00e2777.jpg

I didnt realize how similar eagle eyes and watermelons were.

New watermelons

IMG_8273_zpsbd087d4a.jpg

Old Eagle Eyes next to the spidermans.

IMG_8296_zps4f7b633c.jpg

Randoms

orangepurple_zps3d9b4eaa.jpg

green_zpsb4cab9bf.jpg

IMG_0265_zps31b6e3b6.jpg

Do any of u ship frags for cheap?? Or live anywhere near Jacksonville, NC where I could pick up?? There are do many beautiful zoas in this thread I must have some!! Might pick up my first Zoa tomorrow :)

Do any of u ship frags for cheap?? Or live anywhere near Jacksonville, NC where I could pick up?? There are do many beautiful zoas in this thread I must have some!! Might pick up my first Zoa tomorrow :)

Does NC have a local reefer forum? Thats where i find all mine...

We are gearing up a for the biggest swap meet of the year...SO MUCH WANT and ive already spent a small fortune. Its hard, look at the price and whats coming!

http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/announce-frag-meets-swaps/131339-watcha-bringin-lansing-swap-8.html#post990092

Which has me thinking. Anyone care to brainstorm with me? The topic at hand....ideal setup for propagating zoantids and palythoas? If you were going to purpose build a setup, what would you do? Tank size(s), system volume, lighting, flow, substrate? Rock? Racks?

Anyone know what this might be called?

IMG_0200_zps30b912f2.jpg

Does NC have a local reefer forum? Thats where i find all mine...

We are gearing up a for the biggest swap meet of the year...SO MUCH WANT and ive already spent a small fortune. Its hard, look at the price and whats coming!

http://www.michiganreefers.com/forums/announce-frag-meets-swaps/131339-watcha-bringin-lansing-swap-8.html#post990092

Which has me thinking. Anyone care to brainstorm with me? The topic at hand....ideal setup for propagating zoantids and palythoas? If you were going to purpose build a setup, what would you do? Tank size(s), system volume, lighting, flow, substrate? Rock? Racks?

Anyone know what this might be called?

IMG_0200_zps30b912f2.jpg

"Iwantsthem"

How do you guys get such great pictures?

White balance is the going to help the most. If you have photo editing software that allows you to import raw files this is the best way. I'm getting Aperture 3 in the near future for this reason. Otherwise basic photo editing should allow some color control to at least get it close.

Anyone know what this might be called? IMG_0200_zps30b912f2.jpg

There's a thread over on R2R about cherry charms. These look similar to some of the morphs displayed there. I'm trying to get mine to color up a bit more.

Those are one of the maricultured morphs that are flooding the market right now, they're like a golden maul but not quite. I bet they have similar care though.

RiddleEagle18

8 new Zoas in 3 days! Not a bad run.

Traded part of my colony for these orange ones.

orangeskirtgreenmouth_zps4c0196de.jpg

I think they are either Flaming Suns or Orange Delight. Whatever they are I like them. I think they look good next to the green colony too.

Those orange guys do look sweet. Nice addition.

Im walking out right now to trade a platinum clown for some pink palys, "Tiger Tails" (never heard of these), and goochsters. The fella is giving me a frag of every zoa and paly in his tank (about 10 total) in trade...these are just a "deposit" he said lol. King midas, Rastas, and fruit loops are also in the package :D:D:D

I traded a big air pump i used to drive algae cultures with (but have not used in years) for the platinum today from a local breeder...definitely a good trade for me! Thats the fish im trading above for anyone curious how i produce a platinum clown from thin air lol.

Those orange guys do look sweet. Nice addition.

Im walking out right now to trade a platinum clown for some pink palys, "Tiger Tails" (never heard of these), and goochsters. The fella is giving me a frag of every zoa and paly in his tank (about 10 total) in trade...these are just a "deposit" he said lol. King midas, Rastas, and fruit loops are also in the package :D:D:D

I traded a big air pump i used to drive algae cultures with (but have not used in years) for the platinum today from a local breeder...definitely a good trade for me! Thats the fish im trading above for anyone curious how i produce a platinum clown from thin air lol.

Like the show "Baterers".

lol, i guess so huh?

Got them home, acclimated and on the bottom of the tank. I got gob stoppers (30 polyps +/-), king midas (8-10, cant tell yet), some pink palys (20-25 polyps), some "almost" kedds reds (7 polyps), and another frag of king midas (5 or so).

By the time i got them in, and i got everything cleaned up it was lights out. So pics tomorrow.