Top Shelf Aquatics

Podpimp's 60 + 30 Gallon CUBE UPGRADE TO LARGE CUBE!

PODPIMP

I took out the old crappy 720hd flip cam. Boring day for me :unsure:

http://youtu.be/wVpQQpF12fU

I went back to the very white 14k sunpaq bulb. The EVC 20k burns very blue on the electronic geisman ballast. This was my favorite bulb years ago but I used to run them on PFO hqi's which ran much whiter.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It look so much natural pod! Your SPS is full size mini colonies, looks so awesome! I can't stare at your tank all day!

Great video too!

It look so much natural pod! Your SPS is full size mini colonies, looks so awesome! I can't stare at your tank all day!

Great video too!

Thanks dude. These colonies were selling from $20-$40 each in my area this past month. Usually I start with frags but I figured that I would take advantage of these deals. I haven't seen these kind of prices on SPS colonies in 10 years. Some of the colonies still haven't colored up. if they don't show promise in the display I banish them to the frag tank :D

Great video and new SPS additions. I would love to have your frag tank, that thing could be setup as an awesome display.

Thanks! Yea the dimensions of the frag tank is really cool. Maybe in the future I will turn it into the display. A piece of your green purple rim cap would look awesome in there :lol: With the amount of coral I will be going through I need the extra space. I constantly swap out corals in the beginning for corals that color and look nicer in the display.

Took out the camera today and snapped a few shots. The tank is doing well. Corals are growing, most colored up more, a couple faded a bit in color probably because I started them up with a little too much light. I changed out my phosban reactor for a BRS dual rector and plumbed it external to my sump. I decided to use an eheim compact pump instead of an MJ. Blah blah blah here are the pics.

Rose Stylo

DSC_0005_zps839151ff.jpg

Rics

DSC_0007_zps0a9aba91.jpg

AOG's

DSC_0009_zps6954a59d.jpg

Blastos

DSC_0011_zps017d8a04.jpg

DSC_0012_zpsad076ada.jpg

Goni frag

DSC_0014_zpsb04cc987.jpg

Weird monti

DSC_0017_zpsa2678bd5.jpg

Purple firefish

DSC_0018_zps808b30b3.jpg

Millis

DSC_0020_zps24b3ac83.jpg

DSC_0030_zpsde45b22b.jpg

Rare Abrolhensis

DSC_0023_zpseb1fe336.jpg

Maricultured Acro

DSC_0025_zpsaa87bec7.jpg

DSC_0029_zps1150ccf6.jpg

acropora abrotanoides

DSC_0031_zpsc9944466.jpg

Cali tort recovering

DSC_0034_zps68c63d88.jpg

Oregon Tort Back from the dead!

DSC_0046_zps5497baed.jpg

Under the frag tank

DSC_0059_zps3033b5db.jpg

Under the 60 cube

DSC_0060_zps8d18430b.jpg

Fts

DSC_0049_zpse5108d99.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This 60 cube is getting tight :). I am upgrading to a 93 gallon marineland cube ASAP! I know it's late and I'm drunk but I mean it!!!

Gonna order an MP40 and run one of my mp 10's for flow. All other equipment from my 60 will be transferred over. I may get a bigger sump though.....still thinking about it.

Thanks Karen. The Rock is held together with PVC. The plan for my upgrade is to pick up the two rock structures whole with corals and plop them in the new tank :) Easier said than done

Looks great. I think marineland is making the 90 cube rimless now. May want to look into that if your gonna buy new.

Thanks. I became aware of this a few days ago. I am going to get the older style because the tank and stand is 50% off. Ends up saving me quite a bit.

Thanks Karen. The Rock is held together with PVC. The plan for my upgrade is to pick up the two rock structures whole with corals and plop them in the new tank :) Easier said than done

Wow, if that works you will save yourself so much time and stress!

Ok now that I sobered up I realize that this upgrade isn't going to happen. I turned one of my bedrooms into my fishtank room. The ventura stand is only 26" high. I am pretty tall and never would want a display so low. If I go higher I won't be able to get it through the doorframe 29"

CRAP!

Ok now that I sobered up I realize that this upgrade isn't going to happen. I turned one of my bedrooms into my fishtank room. The ventura stand is only 26" high. I am pretty tall and never would want a display so low. If I go higher I won't be able to get it through the doorframe 29"

CRAP!

I was at my LFS today and this Deep blue rimless 80g really caught my eye. The dimension looked sweet, they also had a really awesome deal on it too including stand. I talked myself out of it, figure If I ever upgrade it will be 100g+ rimless with overflow outside the tank. Your tank is coming along nicely BTW.

Thanks. The deep blue 80 is sweet. 2 of my buddies have that tank. I wanted to go with a 90 cube because all my equipment could be transferred over. It would be a very cheap upgrade. Since I can't get the stand in the door without much hassle, I will wait until next year or two when I move into a larger house and setup the BIG one :)

For now I'll work on making this tank thrive. Growth has been VERY fast and already the tank looks much different than the last pic you see here. I will post a full update each month :)

BTW man your tank is kicking arse!

I have made a few very intelligent decisions while drunk...........but not very many.........

The Marineland 90 cube whould have been great especially with your scaping skillz.

I have made a few very intelligent decisions while drunk...........but not very many.........

The Marineland 90 cube whould have been great especially with your scaping skillz.

LOL. I wanted to keep the same exact scape but plop it in a 90 cube. I would have more open space around the rock and more open sandbed. It would have given me a cleaner look. Oh well :)

The tank is 2 months old today. I am still changing coral placement and trying to maricultured colonies. Some prove stubborn to color, some look great from the start.
Right now I am running a 250w DE EVC 20k with 2 Blue+, 1 fiji purple, 1 GE65k. This bulb is a little on the blue side for my taste but it is growing on me....
Short video (watch in HD)

A quick FTS from today to keep it going ;) I hate taking photos under this 20k halide. It doesn't look this blue in person.

9fd1ede6-df1e-4d13-b2a9-d99c7a9dce1f_zps

Thanks jlbzixxer.

A buddy took down his tank and gave me a bunch of stuff to grow out. The corals are faded due to a salinity issue. Just wanted to post a pic on here to log progress. I''ll try to post the pics from the same angle in a month or so to show progress. Here's what they look like now.

ORA Blue Iris

DSC_0005_zps288d2005.jpg

Palmers Blue Milli

DSC_0009_zps422ab2de.jpg

Maybe Lokani?

DSC_0008_zpsad0a6dad.jpg

Maybe pink lemonade?

DSC_0007_zpsfdff6054.jpg

Yellow milli. Has some recession hopefully it stops

DSC_0006_zpsbe836bd6.jpg

They don't look bad at all but I bet they will really color up. Can't wait to see how they look in another month or so.

Thanks jball1125. I plan on increasing the the LPS soon. Just putting aside some cash because scolys, blastos, and acans are a fortune. Hopefully some deals pop up :)

Arkayology, I think they were a little nutrient started. I feed this tank a lot while maintaining a low nutrient level. Hopefully they darken up soon :)

Not too much change yet. I see faint colors starting from the tips on a couple. The milli kept receding slowly so I clipped the the base off and glued. So far so good.

This one is going to be a real challenge. I split a bleached Shortcake colony with a buddy. Good price so we gave it a shot. My thoughts are a 50/50 survival rate for it. Keep you fingers crossed for me :)

DSC_0021_zpsea129b41.jpg

Also split a colony of an Australian Spathulata. This is like a fat milli with different polyps. Looks much better in person.

IMG_4024_zps14db4111.png

And a current FTS (Came out a little dark)

DSC_0001_zpsa8cb9b0c.jpg

Archived