SaltCritters.com

Podpimp's 60 + 30 Gallon CUBE UPGRADE TO LARGE CUBE!

PODPIMP

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Back up amd running. Looks good. Can't wait till you have it full of sps. Any particular acros you have in mind?

Thanks! Definitely an Oregon Tort, Cali Tort, Pink lemonade, Purple monster, red table, and some cool milis. I think i'll probably add a small purple samonesis colony in the future as well. The purple color gets super intense if all parameters are spot on.

I decided to add a Deep Blue Sea 30 gallon frag tank. I should have it plumbed in a running in a week or so. I'm just waiting for some parts. This will be lit with a 6 bulb ATI sunpower. The stand was originally black but i decided to lighten it up. The deep blue stand is a PITA to paint. It has some kind of plastic laminate. I had to sand it very well and prime to get latex wall paint to adhere. It came out very nice though. The honda generator is my security blanket for this system :)

IMG_3303_zps07c07119.jpg

d'espresso hopefully it turns out to be clever. It was kind of n impulse buy :D

IIX that's the 30 gallon deep blue sea. 24x24x12. It's a cool tank :)

Plumbed and filling up. The main tank has cycled already. I have a few SPS in there and they seem to be doing well. I still have to hang the sunpower over the frag tank and conceal/organize all the wires.

I'll post a updated pic in a couple days when everything clears up.

IMG_3356_zps8e4e2908.jpg

I'm going to make it half black eggcrate for frags and acclimation, the other half will grow all kinds of macros. I'll have around 20lbs of rock in there too. The shallow tank isn't going to be a display tank but it will be nice to have extra water volume, a refugium, and a place to put extra corals and frags. I moved all this crap in a spare bedroom so the wife doesn't care what kind of mess I make :)

Nice frag tank I have it myself.

Just read through your thread. That's a really unique tank. The Wellso's are sick. What are you using for a return pump? How many GPH? I am splitting an eheim 1262 between the 60 and the 30. I was thinking around 300gph goes to the frag tank and the rest to the 60?

I am running a Maxijet utility 1800. It puts out 474 GPH before head height but I have it turned way down. 300 sounds about right I would guess mine is right around there.

Looks like I have my work cut out for me :(. My buddy is a $hitty reefer and gave me back this ....LOL He's still my buddy though ;)

Unique Corals Strawberry Shortcake, Oregon tort, and Pink lemonade

IMG_3367_zps0d54cd02.jpg

This was a red/green prostrata

IMG_3368_zps9521872e.jpg

and this is how the tank looks today

IMG_3386_zps37858413.jpg

I hate starting a tank with white rocks. My goal for this week is to get some bio-diversity from other tanks in here. I'll get a few pieces of very lively rock, different live sands, and a variety of macros for my fuge. This f-ing storm really pisses me off. All this rock was from reefbum (reefcentral totm) and it was absolutely teeming with life. Oh well what can you do.....

ive been looking into that deep blue 24x24 they have a few at the lfs and im starting to fall in love with them

The shallow one is really cool. It actually has more room than the 60 because the glass is thinner.

I did something that I haven't done in years. I bought a bunch of maricultured colonies. The price was too good to pass up and I have the frag tank now for added room if they are suborn to color up. The mystery of seeing how wild corals color and grow is what hooked me on SPS.

Starting to look like a reef

DSC_0030-3_zpsfdb83e70.jpg

Thanks guys. I'm not sure how some of these colonies will color long term. I do plan on trying more colonies as well. These things are cheaper than a 1"designer frag. If I don't see potential in 2 months they will go to the frag tank under the t5's :) where they will most likely be traded or sold. As of now I am dosing 30ml of each 2 part daily......something is growing :huh:

Jrmiller, that tank has a lot of room. Until you get it filled up in your home you won't realize it ;)

I actually took out the camera today no iphone pics this time (actually 1 photo is iPhone)

I have been stocking the main tank. There is a mix of maricutured and captive frags this time. I am tired of having the same stuff as other SPS tanks so I will be flipping through a bunch of colonies over the next few months. Not to mention that these colonies are cheaper than designer frags!
The tank is doing very well right now. Corals are growing and coloring up more each day. The tank is already tanking 40ml's of 2 part daily to maintain parameters. I will hang the ATI fixture over the refugium/frag tank this week. I have 7 different macro algaes in the fuge (thanks kat). Once I get the light on this tank I will make more of a display of it. The rock is starting to lose it shade of bright white......can't wait for it to turn purple.
DSC_0033_zpsd2c1acc1.jpg
DSC_0032-1_zps71e5d34f.jpg
IMG_3581_zps64457504.jpg
DSC_0018-4_zps8b6dac25.jpg

Archived