Cultivated Reef

Podpimp's 60 + 30 Gallon CUBE UPGRADE TO LARGE CUBE!

PODPIMP

I like the spathulata! I also took a gamble on a bleached shortcake - just got it today. They'll color up, it will just take awhile.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like the spathulata! I also took a gamble on a bleached shortcake - just got it today. They'll color up, it will just take awhile.

I checked your thread. Wow that was a nice frag pack. I see the shortcake is faded. Lets hope they recover in a timely fashion :). I had one in my old reef for 6 months that wouldn't color :(

I checked your thread. Wow that was a nice frag pack. I see the shortcake is faded. Lets hope they recover in a timely fashion :). I had one in my old reef for 6 months that wouldn't color :(

I have had two different frags of the shortcake and they were always very pale and slow to color. However, I have noticed it has become a littler darker since I took my biopellets offline. Maybe it likes slightly dirty water?

Agreed! The ones that I have seen with great color were in reefs with a high bio-load. Low nitrate levels, but existent. Some amount of phosphate. My last tank was a little on the stripped side so I believe this to be the reason why I couldn't get color. This tank is different though. I have a large water volume and I feed a lot. If the coral stabilizes I think it will color up in this system. At the moment I am simply worried about survival because it still look like crap. The last 2 days I moved the coral in the corner of the tank on the sanded, where par is least. I'd like to see more zoox in this piece.

Agreed! The ones that I have seen with great color were in reefs with a high bio-load. Low nitrate levels, but existent. Some amount of phosphate. My last tank was a little on the stripped side so I believe this to be the reason why I couldn't get color. This tank is different though. I have a large water volume and I feed a lot. If the coral stabilizes I think it will color up in this system. At the moment I am simply worried about survival because it still look like crap. The last 2 days I moved the coral in the corner of the tank on the sanded, where par is least. I'd like to see more zoox in this piece.

Good luck with it!

Thanks. I'm guessing maybe some type of confusa?

There are some changes coming to the reef. I'll give you a hint. I have to put this in it :)

IMG_4090_zps57d54a7c.jpg

Here's a top down shot of the spathulata from tonight. It seems to be settling in nicely. The shortcake still looks like hell :(

IMG_4099_zps27d1816d.jpg

I organized some LPS onto one rock. They're a little peed that I touched them :)

IMG_4103_zps9fb00580.jpg

3 month video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2G6wEdwSl5w&list=UUhMQtkcK_YQuWgCqG41ncXA&index=1

The tank is now 3 months old. I stocked this one very fast :) I now have 11 fish in the system which include:

Melanarus wrasse

Possum wrasse

yellow coris wrasse

2 purple firefish

2 pj cardinals

1 orange anthias

1 chromis

1 blue damsel (trying to get him out :()

1 flame hawkfish

With the increase in bio load, I did trigger a cyanobacteria bloom. Luckily the bloom is mostly in the frag tank and not in the display. I changed GFO, started skimming wet, and I will be a little more frugal with my feedings. I have also been dosing Microbe-lift Special blend bacteria over the past 2 weeks. I had great success with this on my previous tank. On the bright side, the corals love the increased bio-load. Most SPS colors have gotten more intense and growth has remained fast.

- Coralline algae finally spreading on rock and overflow

Here is a nice gem. Tank raise SSC that I picked up today. Hopefully color holds.

DSC_0010_zps0d4ab1d4.jpg

A faded ice fire that I got today. Cheap price so I am taking a shot. I have it very low until it gains some zooxanthellae

DSC_0017_zps409fb07b.jpg

Kedd's yellow acro really starting to peak in color. It is now getting pink tips.

DSC_0013_zps6ba5edd4.jpg

Cool bali aquaculture coloring up more

DSC_0016_zps1c10e48e.jpg

Frag tank with cyano

DSC_0043_zpsdf48e1ad.jpg

3 month FTS

DSC_0002_zps1b86246e.jpg

Looks great! Definitely wouldn't know this is only 3 months.

Thanks Aaron. Growth has been very fast so far and I didn't start with tiny frags for everything this time :)

That Kedd's Yellow Acro looks great! Where did you get it?

A local reefer. Kedd lives pretty close to me and spread that coral around pretty well. I will do the same as it grows. This is one of those corals that I cannot sell, only trade or pass along :)

To update, I lost the bleached SSC colony. It RTNed on me the other night. I think will stay away from faded aussie colonies from now on. They are not $10 frags to gamble on ;)

A local reefer. Kedd lives pretty close to me and spread that coral around pretty well. I will do the same as it grows. This is one of those corals that I cannot sell, only trade or pass along :)

Lucky! I would gladly trade or pay shipping for a frag :)

Sorry to hear about the SSC :(

Lucky! I would gladly trade or pay shipping for a frag :)

Sorry to hear about the SSC :(

You got it but I won't be fragging this until it is solidly encrusted to the rock. This coral is a slow grower. If I rip it off the rock I will kill a month of growth. We can setup a trade for a few things in the future :)

Loved the vid! This tank is awsome, love the scape, in fact love this whole system you got there!

Thanks man. It's still a work in progress. Some corals are still getting swapped out for "better" ones, or at least ones that look better in my system :) I am changing the fixture to a Sfigioli 400w radium with 4 t5's. I haven't ran 400w halides in many years :) The colors which can be achieved under a 400w radium is mind blowing.

Mr. Microscope

Boss! *thumbs up*

Nice plana!

What do you think of the color on the possum wrasse? I've been thinking about one of those. They look really colorful on LA/DD, but I've also heard they can be brownish.

What do you think of the color on the possum wrasse? I've been thinking about one of those. They look really colorful on LA/DD, but I've also heard they can be brownish.

The question was not asked to me, but I will give my .2! :P

I have had two of these in the past. My first was a brownish grey with three yellow stripes. Very plain. The one I have currently is an awesome black/grey with white banding that is now turning yellow as it matures. It also have small stripes on it's face. I will try and get a good pic some day, though it is fast and skiddish. Once they get settled, they are truly awesome.

Mine looks like this a-wetmerolla-possum-wrasse.jpg

It's not particularly colorful but it is a quirky fish that is interesting to watch. Mine is a grey/black color. It's fades in color as lights go out. My damsel picks on him so that's certainly not helping his colors <_<

I picked up an awesome frag from an aussie colony yesterday. I've never seen another SPS like this during my time in the hobby. The red is a little faded from shipping but the tips are insanely blue! If this colors up red with blue tips it's going to be the nicest acro I've ever seen/had :) or it could die ;) You just don't know when you're dealing with wild stuff.

IMG_4162_zps835ced8d.png

I picked up an awesome frag from an aussie colony yesterday. I've never seen another SPS like this during my time in the hobby. The red is a little faded from shipping but the tips are insanely blue! If this colors up red with blue tips it's going to be the nicest acro I've ever seen/had :) or it could die ;) You just don't know when you're dealing with wild stuff.

IMG_4162_zps835ced8d.png

Looks like some real potential with that frag!!

I haven't been this excited about an SPS frag since my first brown digi in my first SPS tank :) I am curious to know the species. I can't seem to find much on australian coral ID

That's a beauty. Reminds me of a Strawberry shortcake but with blue tips.

Thats what I was thinking. So many cool pink/green and blue corals coming from Australia.

Good call on the radium..... still the best bulb available imo.

Agreed. I'm not running the radium yet though. I am buying a used sfigioli 400w fixture. The seller can't sell until their new ati/led is available. For now I have a 250w 14k Ushio. I know lots of guys use the phoenix in this wattage but I find them dim and overly blue.

Archived