SaltCritters.com

Podpimp's 60 + 30 Gallon CUBE UPGRADE TO LARGE CUBE!

PODPIMP

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again, love the scape! And........such nice looking colonies, no itty bitty frags, lol.

lol yea I have no patience for tiny frags anymore :) Several stores in my area started carrying these colonies cheaper than you can buy an ORA frag. I'll take advantage while it lasts!

Wow your small SPS colonies are huge an nice! I haven't pull the trigger yet on exotic SPS but you make it look easy to keep them. I'm thinking about getting one and try it out.

The new photos looks amazing as always, what a great comeback!

Wow your small SPS colonies are huge an nice! I haven't pull the trigger yet on exotic SPS but you make it look easy to keep them. I'm thinking about getting one and try it out.

The new photos looks amazing as always, what a great comeback!

Thanks bro! SPS are not as hard to keep as many think. Just remember what goes in must come out! You have to keep the water clean beyond a level that testkits can provide. When your ready lmk i will explain in detail if it helps you.

Looking great Pod. I like how you kept it open and avoiding the typical center pile of rocks.

I may be joining your with the deep blue 60. I may be trading my deep blue 75 for a 60 cube to accommodate the wife and stay in the hobby. It's going to be a tough fit with a lot of my stuff having grown out and fitting two Rose bubbletips in the mix. Aquascaping is going to be a challenge.

Looking good though and glad to see you bounce back from the storm.

Thanks Steely! The rocks that I originally used for this tank were large. 5 rocks made 60lbs. After I dried all the rock due to the storm I couldn't bear to look at huge white rocks without a cool scape. I took a hammer, chisel, and drilll to them and hoped for the best. The structure on each side is supported with a 3/4 length of pvc running through the rock.

It's gonna be tough to fit the contents of the 75 into a 60 but you will enjoy the efficiency of the 60 cube. Less power to run in and it's a neat compact setup. The roses might be a problem but I'm sure you'll figure it out. Thanks for the welcome back!

I finally got my fuge/frag tank running with various macros. I hung the ATI fixture over it. I am actually loving the different macros. Very relaxing to watch.

DSC_0013-2_zps3f17061b.jpg

The other filtration/equipment under the 60

DSC_0014-1_zpsbabbde3c.jpg

The whole system. Still waiting on my 20k evc halide for the main tank. I have a 14k sunpaq in there now but it is more of a 10k-12k bulb. Not bad color but it needs the blues to balance it out.

DSC_0017-4_zps48033e90.jpg

Oregon tort that was just about gone 2 weeks ago when I received it. I'm very happy this one made a recovery.

Before

IMG_3367_zps0d54cd02.jpg

After

DSC_0010-1_zps8788c12f.jpg

I picked up an eshopps coral viewer for top down shots. I didn't get a chance to get my regular camera out for it but I snapped a few top downs with my iphone. Colors look intense from the top!

IMG_3503_zps4f176be3.png

IMG_3504_zps3cc2e2b4.png

IMG_3505_zps046f2776.png

Wait, you're using the deep blue shallow as a fuge for the display tank??? Hmmmm

Yea. For frags as well. It's all plumbed together.

• Like 1

I remember you doing that SPS solana and I thought that was pretty epic. Can't wait to see what you're going to stock it with. Btw, glad you're back.

• Like 1

I have to share a pic of this piece. I got this at a LFS 2 days ago for $40! The color on this is intense. I never had a piece that looked like this so I don't know what to expect. Hopefully it holds color or maybe even colors more? :)

DSC_0005-7_zps1bb66d8b.jpg

A couple others

acropora abrotanoides

DSC_0015-3_zpsd0bf0cde.jpg

Kedds Yellow Bali Acro

I think this may also go as "upscale microlados" but Kedd had it before this designer coral came about. This piece has direct lineage to kedd's tank.

IMG_3503_zps4f176be3.png

Latest FTS

DSC_0053_zpse6e7c103.jpg

• Like 1

*Just to keep things updated*

I finally got a 250w 20k EVC bulb. It's been backordered over a month. It's more difficult getting an accurate photo under a blue bulb. This is the best shot that I could get. Not as blue in person and it looks much better than the pervious halide that I was running.
DSC_0003-5_zpsd24b8e30.jpg
DSC_0018-4_zps0fdee80c.jpg
DSC_0004-5_zpsa4862b07.jpg

I have to share a pic of this piece. I got this at a LFS 2 days ago for $40! The color on this is intense. I never had a piece that looked like this so I don't know what to expect. Hopefully it holds color or maybe even colors more? :)

DSC_0005-7_zps1bb66d8b.jpg

A couple others

acropora abrotanoides

DSC_0015-3_zpsd0bf0cde.jpg

Kedds Yellow Bali Acro

I think this may also go as "upscale microlados" but Kedd had it before this designer coral came about. This piece has direct lineage to kedd's tank.

DSC_0018-4_zps8b6dac25.jpg

Latest FTS

DSC_0053_zpse6e7c103.jpg

That first piece is nice. I got the exact same one from max reef on sunday. Were you there too?

Hey akma. I was at max reefs but that's not where I got that colony. By the time my number was called at max reefs most of the good stuff was gone. I actually picked up two of these colonies. I gave one to my buddy. I guess we'll see what becomes of them.

LOL I was 18. I must have missed this piece. it was too crowded and I felt rushed so I didn't get a good look. It was fun seeing a bunch of old faces though :) Anyway nice score. How is your piece doing? So far the color is the same on mine but polyp extension is improving. Rick (nyreefnoob) has the same piece for a month and is maintaining color so that's a good sign.

Thanks Matt. Right now the tank has the fruit stand look. Corals look placed rather than grown. I cut a few pieces off their plugs and mounted to avoid this look. 6 months should cover any remaining plugs with coral growth. I'm already wishing that I could place all this in a 90 cube to have more space :).

Excuse some of the broken links to pictures. I was organizing my albums on photobucket and didn't realize that all IMG codes would change. :rant:

90 cube? Did I hear it's an upgrade already?

So jealous of your hairy red SPS! Lol Looks beautiful as always!

I want to upgrade to a 90 but only if a NICE used one comes my way. If I was to buy a 90 setup new I couldn't justify the expense when I really want to go much larger. On a 90 I can pretty much transfer all my equipment so the only cost would be the tank, stand, salt, and sand. The rocks in my 60 are held together by pvc rod so I can pic them up in 2 pieces and plop them in a 90. I wanted to keep a minimal aquascape in this 60 but I got carried away with corals :D Now it looks cluttered.

The hairy red SPS is a mariculture piece. It is definitely responding better than my other millies. That coral is the closest to the halide in the whole tank. "Hairy red SPS" something about this doesn't sound right :D

Archived