Cultivated Reef

Podpimp's 60 + 30 Gallon CUBE UPGRADE TO LARGE CUBE!

PODPIMP

That's a beauty. Reminds me of a Strawberry shortcake but with blue tips.

That's what I'm thinking, likely a different shade of the SSC "Acropora microclados".

Hopefully, it will hold color for you.

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thats what I was thinking. So many cool pink/green and blue corals coming from Australia.

Agreed. I'm not running the radium yet though. I am buying a used sfigioli 400w fixture. The seller can't sell until their new ati/led is available. For now I have a 250w 14k Ushio. I know lots of guys use the phoenix in this wattage but I find them dim and overly blue.

Phoenix is a good "bang for your buck" bulb, but I agree, it really doesn't compare to a properly driven radium. At 400w you defnitely wont be lacking light lol

Wow, that is one purdy and unique coral!!! Please keep us posted on how it does for you, especially under the new lights!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

New (used) fixture is here :) This thing is huge. I am questioning my sanity a little :) I'll probably get it hung tonight or tomorrow. I'll post pics. This is gonna be insane.

Testing it out

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/jackson6745/media/SHIT/IMG_4337_zps97d4c7ca.jpg.html'>IMG_4337_zps97d4c7ca.jpg

Lumatek Ballast

http://s32.photobucket.com/user/jackson6745/media/SHIT/IMG_4338_zps9a268956.jpg.html'>IMG_4338_zps9a268956.jpg

New (used) fixture is here :) This thing is huge. I am questioning my sanity a little :) I'll probably get it hung tonight or tomorrow. I'll post pics. This is gonna be insane.

Testing it out

IMG_4337_zps97d4c7ca.jpg

Lumatek Ballast

IMG_4338_zps9a268956.jpg

Wow - I think I'm Blinded by the light !!! B)

I can always switch to 250w if it's too much :) I ran into a snag last night. The silver bullet looking things that hold the wire from my hanging kit does not fit the thread on the sfigioli fixture. I have to check with a couple of buddies today to see if I can rob them of the correct parts :)

I know this seems insane, especially in a time when LED's have become mainstream. I have used 400's on previous tanks in the past and colors can get insane, really insane. Hopefully it all makes sense in upcoming months. I have a vision of the most densely grown out SPS 60 cube you've ever seen :)

It was difficult to find the right size grip locks to hang this thing. Finally, after a little rigging, it's over the tank (temporarily). I have to make new holes in the ceiling to position fixture further back over tank. It's hard to tell from the video but i actually like the look of the Sfigioli over the tank. The color of the radium is amazing. I plan on running it without t5 so electrical use would be the same as the previous 250w geismann fixture I was using.

Quick video with a crappy flip cam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr9SkNjke7U&feature=youtu.be

so beautiful :D

Thanks bud. I am loving this light right now. The radium really makes the corals look amazing in person. Once I get it mounted permanently I'll take a few still shots.

Nice and bright !

Yes, but the spectrum is what brought me here :) It will be interesting to see how corals respond.

Gorgeous pod .. ur tank is my inspiration for my next tank .. cant wait for another pic under halide ..

Thank you. What are you setting up next? I'll post some pics soon :)

yeah ive always been a really big fan of halide. people pass on them to much imo. still the best for sps coral

Halides are great, and the spectrum of a 400w radium is unmatched by any reef light IMO. I do understand why people choose LED's and there are a couple great LED SPS tanks in my area. I think most SPS guys don't properly acclimate their corals to LED's and colors suffer.

Here are the still shots that I promised. So far I am loving the new fixture. The spectrum is awesome. All colors get a nice pop but It's too soon to tell real color changes yet. These pics loose the vibrance that you see in person when photobucket reduces quality for upload.

Some other changes as well. Since I had a bunch of corals in my frag tank that i want to keep but had no room in my 60 cube display, I decided to make my 30 gallon into a display :) I am also going to change the light from the 6x24w ATI to an Ecotech 2nd generation LED. It's about time I start getting first hand experience with LEDs :) I'll update with progress soon.

DSC_0001_zps951d14a2.jpg

DSC_0004_zps96691e8e.jpg

DSC_0008_zpsf19cca7a.jpg

DSC_0009_zpsf21350bb.jpg

DSC_0011_zps0e5931bb.jpg

DSC_0013_zps760bd911.jpg

DSC_0027_zpsb76276c8.jpg

DSC_0018_zps1e38837b.jpg

Nice colours ! 100%

Christine

Thanks Christine. The color of the photos is off though. I've always been horrible at photographing blue lighting. The video is a more accurate representation. I am in acclimation mode at the moment. The fixture is raised 15" with a 4 hour MH photoperiod right now. I will lower 1" each week to maybe 11" or 12", and then increase photoperiod eventually ending up with a 6 HR photoperiod. This might take about 2 months time.

I am excited about having a LED fixture over my frag tank. This will give me good insight on what to expect when I eventually make the move to LED's totally (No time soon though ;))

Thanks ball :)

Thanks Tbone, I'll be following your new 60 as well. I love the steel stand. There's not much room in the standard stands. The more room that you can create, the better!

• 2 weeks later...
I took my first plunge into LED. I have to experience what all this hype is about :). I have a Radion G2 over my frag/second display tank. I have it set on Natural reef mode at a 40% max for acclimation. I'm loving the controllability but I hate the multi colored disco effect. I plan on putting some of the same SPS in my display and frag tank to compare colors. Since they are plumbed together, lighting will be the only real difference.

Since upgrading display lighting to a 400w radium, growth has exploded. Very happy with the Sfiliogi fixture.

IMG_4632_zps06fd8a4d.jpg

Quick cell pic of 60 gallon

http://imageshack.us'>ImageShack.us

d'Espresso

I love it bro! I wish u can frag me a piece of that purple stylo no one have it at my lfs, it's hard to find.

How do you like the LEDs so far. Your MH still show great colors

Archived