SaltCritters.com

Podpimp's 60 + 30 Gallon CUBE UPGRADE TO LARGE CUBE!

PODPIMP

• Replies 290
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I will be breaking my tank down tomorrow. I am forced to move from my condo on Rockaway Beach. NY. The place is destroyed. The entire boardwalk is gone......crashed into homes and washed everywhere. Fires and destruction everywhere. I don't even have pavement anymore. I'm going to put my corals in a friends tank and drain the tank. Hopefully I can set it up again in a few months. The tank is running on battery backups and battery operated air pumps for now .

This is an f-ing nightmare

Wow, that looks terrible. At least your tank is still young. It would be more unfortunately to break down a mature tank. I hope your situation gets better and see your tank up again soon. Good luck!

Really sorry to hear and see what has happened.

We have heard a lot about the storm in the news in Australia. Hoping everything can return to normal soon.

All the best.

Hang in there dude. I hope you get your stuff in order sooner rather than later. Sucks to hear about all the stuff going on in the East.

Thanks for the support guys. Pretty bummed out. It will be a LONG time before things return to normal in my area. The damage is so severe and wide spread. What can you do? I will be back :)

Tank is empty. I am living off a generator. My area is still a waste land. Power company said 7 weeks until I get power back. :o This bites the big one.

post-33893-1352167658_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Still no power for me, I am hoping to have it restored in the next few days. These past few weeks have been very rough. I'm the mean time I have completely broken down my tank and vinegar soaked all my equipment. I am looking forward to setting it all up again and cycling my dead stinky rock. I plan on adding a 30 or 40 gallon Refugium/frag tank this time for added stability and more bacteria. I'll update as soon as I get things going :)

Still no power for me, I am hoping to have it restored in the next few days. These past few weeks have been very rough. I'm the mean time I have completely broken down my tank and vinegar soaked all my equipment. I am looking forward to setting it all up again and cycling my dead stinky rock. I plan on adding a 30 or 40 gallon Refugium/frag tank this time for added stability and more bacteria. I'll update as soon as I get things going :)

WoW how the heck do you stay warm with no power? You staying with family that has power?

WoW how the heck do you stay warm with no power? You staying with family that has power?

A combination of family, hotel, and a generator at home.

• 3 weeks later...

Hope you're doing well.Dude, that sucks!!! I know once you set up the tank again it will look 100x better!

In what order did you have the bulbs in the light fixture and did you have the same bulbs from when you first set up the tank?

Thanks Reefman. I forget which order I had the bulbs in. It was 4 blue+, 1 ge 65k, 1 fiji purple.

To update this thread...... I finally got my electricity back!!! Still waiting on my boiler and hot water heater to be replaced. I think when this is all over I will have to go to alcohol anonymous meetings :) or maybe i'll just move to colorado ;)

I got a sweet deal on a Geismann infinity 250w halide with 4 t5 fixture. This is what I will be using to light the 60 gallon this time. I also plan on plumbing in a custom frag tank/refugium around 40gals that I will light with the ATI T5 fixture. Once things get more normal here i will begin posting lots of pics :)

I started curing the rock the last few days in a 50 gallon rubbermaid. This rock had loads of life in it that is now dead. The whole room stunk like bad ass cheese the for first 2 days but tapered off....... thank goodness!!!

I am running about a pound of carbon + a bunch of phosban in a reactor. The skimmer has been pulling loads of smelly stuff. I will keep this rock curing but I may just end up ordering all new rock because it may take a long while to get the organics out of the dead rock.

Nothing exciting yet but here's a pic of the skimmer doing its job.

post-33893-1355952317_thumb.jpg

God bless you pod! Daym it's suck and I know that feeling! But this is good progress so far for the start! Will this be all SPS tank once more?

Thanks IIX :)

Thanks d'Espresso. This storm has been a PITA. I plan on setting it up mostly SPS again but I will plumb in a second smaller tank that I will use as a refugium and frag tank. I should have it all setup in the next week or two.

UPDATE!!!

The 60 is up and running. I decided to keep the dead rock because it seems to be cleaning up pretty quickly. I wanted to make a cool aquascape so I ended up breaking a couple of the larger pieces and drilling holes in them. The structure is held together with lengths of 3/4 PVC pipe. I think it will be a good base to add corals. The rocks don't touch the glass at any point. Im sure it will change in the future but I'm happy with the way it looks at the moment.

I went with a different substrate this time. I used a combination of 3 mm aragonite and crushed coral. The larger grain size should help with sand blowing around when I increase the flow. I also like how rics and zoos attach to the CC. The make frags all by themselves :)

I still have to purchase and plumb in the frag tank/refugium (most likely a 40 breeder) lit by the 6 bulb ATI fixture. The 60 is lit by a Geismann Infinity 250w + 4 t5. I am trying to get my hands on an EVC 20k DE 250w bulb it seems impossible at the moment. While this rock is cycling I will try my best to get everything together in a week or so.

Cell phone pic

IMG_3279_zps7dcf3e13.jpg

Archived