Pod Your Reef

The Keep-Downsize Coming

HVani

Been MIA again :(

I have a really sick snake on my hands that's been taking up my time.

The tank is doing better. I have been doing larger water changes and that seemed to do the trick. I've also been hiding low because I'm scared to post due to my new addition....

I've added a lemon peel mimic tang. He is GORGEOUS and adds so much to the tank. I see now while people like Tangs so much.

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry about the snake :(

Ohhh...I just looked up the tang. Is it adult or juvenile? I love the splash of color you get with a yellow fish. Can't wait to see it!!!!

jedimasterben

I've also been hiding low because I'm scared to post due to my new addition....

I've added a lemon peel mimic tang. He is GORGEOUS and adds so much to the tank. I see now while people like Tangs so much.

The main problem with adding tangs to small tanks is that they go from being aggressive towards other tangs, but mostly passive to other fish, to being aggressive towards anything that comes near them.

The mimic tang wouldn't have been my first choice (they become a muddy brown and more aggressive as they grow), but your tank size is fine for a few species of tang, with the bristletooths being best suited. The Kole tang is an absolutely beautiful fish, and actually started my fascination with tangs, but the one that still holds my heart is the powder brown tang, as it is the most passive tang out there and is very pretty.

The tang police (*cough* 1.0 reef *cough*) don't typically seem to understand that there are different species of tangs.

He's a baby, about 3" long.

I adore mimic tangs even when they become adults. I've always heard they were pretty passive. Anyway once he's too big I will sell him most likely. For now I get to enjoy him. He's super peaceful and looks amazing. I hope I get to see his color transformation.

Finished reading through your thread. I really like your tank design. The rock wall gives you so much space for corals!

It looks wonderful. I am looking forward to new pics.

I hope the snake gets better.

I do not have any close ups of my SPS. They are on the back wall of the tank and tough to get good pictures of.

Ok now for good news bad news.

Good news:

I got a fuge lite from Reefbreeders and it is awesome

Bad news

Tang died :angry: Swimming around fine then dead. It never did eat as well as I hoped.

I was in Milwaukee yesterday and stopped at a really good fish store. I did the wrong thing and bought a new tang. I looked pretty hard at the powder brown that Jedi suggested. Then I found a little ebili mimic. He was adorable and I brought him home. Super cute and only 2 inches long, eats like crazy.

And now he's dead.

Hmm do tangs swim around at night? I wonder did they get tagged by the tube anemone. Both were found dead in the morning.

Well I decided no more fish for 3 months. That will give me a chance to focus more on my corals. Which seemed to have decided to stop dying. YAY!

Things seem to be doing a lot better now that I have a more consistent water change schedule down. My rose bubble tip is getting huge! I think it's getting ready to split again. I also recently removed a very large thin stripe hermit crab that was knocking every thing over every night(even the glued down stuff).

As for my very sick snake she is doing a lot better. She still is not eating but the skin infection is healing up and she's acting like herself again

prettygirl_zps5cc74847.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think my clown s might be getting ready to spawn for the first time. The female is 3 inches and they have been cleaning feverishly. They also have been a bit more aggressive over the last couple days. Time will tell.

• 2 weeks later...

Saltcritters was having a last day July sale so I jumped on it. I ordered a few rics a new rock anemone and a mystery coral. Should arrive tomorrow :) Feel good to add some new stuff.

She is eating now! :) I'm pretty happy.

So my Saltcritters order came yesterday. UPS delivered it early which is a first. My Mystery coral was a chalice and my rock flower anemone is a nice green one. It was only $10 so I'm not complaining. I use to be able to get them for $12 here, now they are $40 for any color not red and the red ones are $55.

My last rock flower I got from saltcritters was a GORGEOUS red one.

Anyway the rics also look nice. Evidently one of my WYSIWYG rics was not available so it was subbed with 4 unmounted rics of various color. Fine with me I just wish they had messaged me about it. It would be nice to know I was getting a substitute before it arrived.

Since they were unmounted a couple wandered off last night, I hope to find them today and put them back where they belong.

Cats aren't the only animals that like paper bags

baggedEd_zps6fffb1f4.jpg

Got chocolate?

DSC027341.jpg

That's a nice blue tongue skink. I see you like both reefing and reptiles, too. :)

My first Photo dump!!

I'm getting better at the camera and also I got a tube anemone :) :)

warcoral-1_zps97553773.jpg

Forgot one:

I took these this evening and my lights were ramping down so they are a little dark.

aint no party like a flatworm party! lol, i bet you if you pick up a springeri damsel it'll take those guys out

Archived