Cultivated Reef

KFMMartin's (not so) Bada$$ Cube

Kfmmartin19

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Kfmmartin19
I love your setup! Looks very exquisite and colorful. :) Love your firefish on the first page especially! :)

Thanks a lot! Yeah he was really cool, but unfortunately he just stayed in the back corner behind some rocks for like the 6 months I had him, only venturing out for like 5 mins a day to eat. When he bit the dust mp10 style it was pretty gruesome but I guess only a little sad cuz I never saw him...

User Deleted 2

Firefish are actually really shy - they often dart into holes and crevices whenever they get nervous, which is kinda sad because they're so beautiful and it's difficult to catch them swimming freely in the tank. So sorry for your loss - that sucks though. :( Bet he was an amazing fish despite hiding all the time. :)

• 3 weeks later...
Kfmmartin19

So tonight I rescaped my tank for two main reasons: One being that I wanted less rocks and a more minimalistic scape and the second being that I wanted to show off my green spongeodes better because it is basically the only sps in my tank that's actually doing well!

Didnt exactly turn out as planned but I'll wait till the water clears and see what it looks like tomorrow. If it looks decent I might even post a pic :)

Kfmmartin19

null_zps036d25a6.jpgidk doesn't really do anything for me. Based on this picture it is evident that

A) almost all my sps r dying

B ) I have an annoying amount of frags that no one wants

C) Xenia and Kenya tree are really annoying

Ya that's basically all I got. Kinda running out of ideas. Almost wanna order some dry rock and make a scape outside of the tank, but idk how hard it'd be to swap out the rock I currently have...all my rock is just kinda nasty, covered in epoxy and glue and frag plugs with no coral on them...idk it's kinda bumming me out.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I don't think xenia and SPS really mix well. Just throw it away, or give away for free, maybe...

I would get more rock and make a scape where you can place those acros closer to the light. What kind of media are your running for filtration? Skimmer?

And clean your glass lol.

Kfmmartin19
I don't think xenia and SPS really mix well. Just throw it away, or give away for free, maybe...

I would get more rock and make a scape where you can place those acros closer to the light. What kind of media are your running for filtration? Skimmer?

And clean your glass lol.

I keep fragging it and ripping it off the rock but it just grows back somewhere else. That and Kenya tree...they're like the plague.

I kinda just wanna start over...the only bright side is that frickin giant spongeodes.

Get some tongan branch real reef rock. USe that and more rock to make an archway.

Get rid of the softies, put it in another tank or fuge or donate to LFS for brownie points.

If you are able to keep SPS then get branching SPS, not encrusting like spongoges, same for LPS, don't get encrusting like favia.

Kfmmartin19
Get some tongan branch real reef rock. USe that and more rock to make an archway.

Get rid of the softies, put it in another tank or fuge or donate to LFS for brownie points.

If you are able to keep SPS then get branching SPS, not encrusting like spongoges, same for LPS, don't get encrusting like favia.

K are u saying add a Tongan branch archway to what I already have or scrap what I have and try to make an archway outside of the tank and replace what I have?

I agree about the softies. They have to go. I'll try to bring the Kenya tree, Xenia, and toadstool to LFS ASAP. Problem is that Xenia and Kenya's keep popping up everywhere...

I think for the scape I want to try to make an archway like Nitoralis' tank and then on the end of one side a small island...not sure how that'd look in a cube tho...

Kfmmartin19

So my next big purchase I think will either be a new light or a lifereef overflow and sump/frag tank. What do u guys think?

K are u saying add a Tongan branch archway to what I already have or scrap what I have and try to make an archway outside of the tank and replace what I have? I agree about the softies. They have to go. I'll try to bring the Kenya tree, Xenia, and toadstool to LFS ASAP. Problem is that Xenia and Kenya's keep popping up everywhere... I think for the scape I want to try to make an archway like Nitoralis' tank and then on the end of one side a small island...not sure how that'd look in a cube tho...

Get the new rock first to see if using existing will work, you can always toss out what you don't want/use.

Kfmmartin19
Get the new rock first to see if using existing will work, you can always toss out what you don't want/use.

Kat, do u have somewhere in particular u had in mind for ordering? Otherwise I'll probably just order some BRS reef saver and tonga rock and see what I can do

Kat, do u have somewhere in particular u had in mind for ordering? Otherwise I'll probably just order some BRS reef saver and tonga rock and see what I can do

BRS is popular, so is reef cleaners.

FishDooD65

Usually Xenia thrive in dirty water lol. What I mean is water with nitrate and phosphate. Keep your nitrate and phosphate low and the xenia will die off in time. You can always remove them manually and burn them off the rock they are on. You can also cut them out with a razor. Xenias are cool but once they take over a tank.... good luck getting rid of them.

So my next big purchase I think will either be a new light or a lifereef overflow and sump/frag tank. What do u guys think?

lifereef s expensive comapred to eshopps overflows, the cheapest i have seen them is on amazon. I dont think anywhere else is cheaper.

I actually think your scape has a lot of potential.

You could do a valley effect, which you almost have right now.

Just move some of the frags that are in the middle to either side.
The valley would give a sense of depth. I've seen it done with success

on a lot of great tanks on here.

And you could still do the bridge as well. :) W-

Kfmmartin19
Usually Xenia thrive in dirty water lol. What I mean is water with nitrate and phosphate. Keep your nitrate and phosphate low and the xenia will die off in time. You can always remove them manually and burn them off the rock they are on. You can also cut them out with a razor. Xenias are cool but once they take over a tank.... good luck getting rid of them.lifereef s expensive comapred to eshopps overflows, the cheapest i have seen them is on amazon. I dont think anywhere else is cheaper.
That's what I don't really understand haha. My nitrate is around 5 and my phosphate is undetectable.I'd still go with the lifereef because I've done some research and it seems to be way more fail-safe than the eshopps.

I actually think your scape has a lot of potential. You could do a valley effect, which you almost have right now.Just move some of the frags that are in the middle to either side.The valley would give a sense of depth. I've seen it done with successon a lot of great tanks on here. And you could still do the bridge as well. :) W-
Ya, I gotta get rid of those frags. I'm going to see if my LFS will take them for store credit by any chance. Then we'll see about the scape. Thanks for the input!

Ive recently found myself in a similar predicament. Im pretty unhappy with my rockwork and have been since I started the tank, I think I rushed the aquascape just to get it started. I have about 15-20lbs of dry unused marcorocks (aquascapers) and I was thinking about setting up my spare 10g and tossing in all rock and inhabitants while I redo my picO. I figure the spare 10g can hold everything for a month or so while the dt cycles with my new rockwork.

Polarcollision

Some Pics:

null_zpsd97d4359.jpg

null_zpsf082fb70.jpg

Spongodes, right? That is a gorgeous piece! Kinda reminds me of a catchers mitt. The green color of spongodes drew me in and I picked up a small piece. How long did you grow this one out? Mine doesn't seem to be growing super fast. If/when I upgrade to 40 gallons, I want one of those torches, too. The thing with zoas and sps is they don't flow in the currents. Gotta have the movement.

FishDooD65

Well I cant speak for lifereef but I can for eshopps and I have never lost siphon in the overflow from a power outtage or when water had been removed from the display tank. The black overflow box drops the water level all the way down until the siphon can no longer have enough prssure to continue sucking the water out and I fortunately never had a siphon break on me. The only thing that can and will break it is if a snail or some big piece of debris gets in there. I added some mesh to prevent any snails or big things to prevent them from getting into the overflow. In the end you just have to fill proof your system. Personally I have had an auto top off that keeps the water level low in the return chamber of my sump so that if the siphon ever did break it would not overflow the display tank but it would empty the water in my sump. So its basically spill proof.

Polarcollision

K are u saying add a Tongan branch archway to what I already have or scrap what I have and try to make an archway outside of the tank and replace what I have? I agree about the softies. They have to go. I'll try to bring the Kenya tree, Xenia, and toadstool to LFS ASAP. Problem is that Xenia and Kenya's keep popping up everywhere... I think for the scape I want to try to make an archway like Nitoralis' tank and then on the end of one side a small island...not sure how that'd look in a cube tho...

I wonder if kenyas and xenia can be killed off the same way as aptasia. Seems like they could. Proteins won't function again once they're denatured so I used a syrynge of boiling water to kill off what wasn't welcome. Should work on the little bits left behind, too.

Kfmmartin19

Spongodes, right? That is a gorgeous piece! Kinda reminds me of a catchers mitt. The green color of spongodes drew me in and I picked up a small piece. How long did you grow this one out? Mine doesn't seem to be growing super fast. If/when I upgrade to 40 gallons, I want one of those torches, too. The thing with zoas and sps is they don't flow in the currents. Gotta have the movement.

. Yep, its a spongeodes. I got it 14 or 15 months ago and it was about 1/2" and bleached completely white. Grabbed it at a frag swap for $5 just for the heck of it haha. In my latest FTS u can see how big it's gotten.

Torch is nice but takes up a lot of room cuz it'll sting the crap out of anything it touches

Kfmmartin19

Well I cant speak for lifereef but I can for eshopps and I have never lost siphon in the overflow from a power outtage or when water had been removed from the display tank. The black overflow box drops the water level all the way down until the siphon can no longer have enough prssure to continue sucking the water out and I fortunately never had a siphon break on me. The only thing that can and will break it is if a snail or some big piece of debris gets in there. I added some mesh to prevent any snails or big things to prevent them from getting into the overflow. In the end you just have to fill proof your system. Personally I have had an auto top off that keeps the water level low in the return chamber of my sump so that if the siphon ever did break it would not overflow the display tank but it would empty the water in my sump. So its basically spill proof.

I'm a bit confused on how u are using an ATO to limit the amount of water that can be pumped back into the tank...could you elaborate on that?

I still think I will go with a lifereef. Just seen too many problems with eshopps. Christine (NanoTopia) just had a problem with her's and her whole tank almost flooded. I just think I would sleep easier with lifereef

FishDooD65

I'm a bit confused on how u are using an ATO to limit the amount of water that can be pumped back into the tank...could you elaborate on that?

what i mean is, my sump's section where the return pump is in was run with a low water level. that way if the siphon would break, the return section will only put back a small amount of water to the display. since the overflow stops putting water into the sump, the sump empties itself out and if there's a small amount of water in the return section, there's less of a chance to overfill the display.

Archived