Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

KFMMartin's (not so) Bada$$ Cube

Kfmmartin19

Yep, they're pretty cool. Just hoping they don't kill each other...apparently I need to be relatively concerned about that haha

Yes and no. My neon gobies were not a pair. But when I saw the holding tank at the LFS these 2 that I got were swimming everywhere together, other neons were loners. So I bought them together.

They come home to my tank and attack each other. WTF. Anyway. Till I added more fish, the one was visibly beating the other. Seemed like the threat of other fish paired them up. So then thwy stayed together for 1.5 years till one of them slowly faded and passed. Still have the other one.

• Replies 341
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes and no. My neon gobies were not a pair. But when I saw the holding tank at the LFS these 2 that I got were swimming everywhere together, other neons were loners. So I bought them together.

They come home to my tank and attack each other. WTF. Anyway. Till I added more fish, the one was visibly beating the other. Seemed like the threat of other fish paired them up. So then thwy stayed together for 1.5 years till one of them slowly faded and passed. Still have the other one.

hmmm maybe I need to get more fish in there ASAP then...I think I can deal with that :)

Ugh my shipment has been delayed until next week cuz it's so cold here that saltwaterfish won't ship to my location :(

Update: shipment should arrive on Wednesday assuming it doesn't get pushed back again which at this point I wouldn't be surprised...the high here on Monday is supposed to be -14 with wind chill going below -50...and no, I don't live in Antarctica

That's way too cold! If I could, I'd send some of the Berkeley weather your way. Its 63 here today :)

Really? huh...I might try that. I didn't think id be able to

Yeah, I saw someone make a curved window frame for a bowfront tank. What they did was draw out the arc of the tank on a piece of plywood. Then they hammered nails into the plywood along the arc every couple inches. They left the nails sticking out about an inch from the plywood. Then they laid their piece of window frame along the nails and slowly bent it to form the arc marked out by the nails. It turned out really well. I wish I remembered where I saw that to link you to it, but anyway it should be easy to do.

That's way too cold! If I could, I'd send some of the Berkeley weather your way. Its 63 here today :)

Yeah, I saw someone make a curved window frame for a bowfront tank. What they did was draw out the arc of the tank on a piece of plywood. Then they hammered nails into the plywood along the arc every couple inches. They left the nails sticking out about an inch from the plywood. Then they laid their piece of window frame along the nails and slowly bent it to form the arc marked out by the nails. It turned out really well. I wish I remembered where I saw that to link you to it, but anyway it should be easy to do.

ahh that's a really good idea! I think I'll probably try to do that.

63??? Wow you are lucky. Took my dog out once today and it was -41 windchill. And yes, that feels as cold as you would think...it's freezing for about 10 seconds and then it just hurts. I was really bundled up but my face was throbbing and the dog was limping within probably 30 seconds...not good haha

Order pushed back again. Expected delivery Friday.

The sick and twisted thing is that today it was -2 degrees and it actually felt warm...I was walking around with jeans and a hoodie and felt fine...40 degrees warmer than Monday so makes sense I guess

Helpppppp

Gobies are in the tank. Blue guy is looking mahvelous but I think the yellow is a goner. First off it looked unusually fat...it's kinda having seizures and when it tries to swim looks like he's unintentionally barrel rolling like he's trying to stop himself from being upside down...now he just stuck his head in a rock and his tail is sticking out...idk it looks bad

I'm glad the gobies finally made it there, but I'm sorry to hear the yellow one isn't doing well :( I don't know what could be wrong with it but that definitely doesn't sound good. Poor little guy! You should definitely let saltwaterfish know its not doing well.

I'm glad the gobies finally made it there, but I'm sorry to hear the yellow one isn't doing well :( I don't know what could be wrong with it but that definitely doesn't sound good. Poor little guy! You should definitely let saltwaterfish know its not doing well.

Unfortunately I had to go out of town the day after the gobies arrived and I'm not getting home till Saturday. I've received word from home that both gobies have gone missing. Neither has been spotted since I put them in the tank :(

I'm pretty upset and it only makes it worse that I'm not home because I feel like there's nothing I can do

Don't panic yet, they're tiny gobies and can hide REALLY well. They're new to the tank and I bet they're still very shy. When I got the neons for my main tank, one of them vanished for days and I was convinced it had died and then it suddenly reappeared. I wouldn't worry at all yet. New fish tend to be MIA for a couple days.

Its rough going out of town right after getting new fish. Just try not to assume the worst yet. I honestly bet they're in hiding and your family can't see them.

Don't panic yet, they're tiny gobies and can hide REALLY well. They're new to the tank and I bet they're still very shy. When I got the neons for my main tank, one of them vanished for days and I was convinced it had died and then it suddenly reappeared. I wouldn't worry at all yet. New fish tend to be MIA for a couple days.

Its rough going out of town right after getting new fish. Just try not to assume the worst yet. I honestly bet they're in hiding and your family can't see them.

Based on how bad the yellow one looked before I left id be willing to be he's a goner.

But ya I wouldn't be surprised if the blue one is just hiding...he was looking good after he got in the tank

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...
Kfmmartin19

Updates?

Well I'm still alive...so there's that. The tank is still up and being completely overrun by macro algae. The goby is doing swell. It's kinda a big mess tho...can't remember last time I did a WC.

It's really a shame because I had such high hopes for this tank but life got in the way and it just never really came to fruition. Oh well. Been on NR a little the last few days and am thinking of setting up a small shallow rimless tank sometime in the future, but unfortunately because of the timing of going away to school in a few months, I'm thinking it probably wouldn't be wise to start any new projects...not sure how feasible running a tank at school is as I've never tried it.

So until then...I'm just living vicariously through you all...sigh

Archived