Coral Vue Hydros

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

Cheers Albert I am counting on having a few more yet but like reefkeeping one never knows for sure.

Indeed ... no absolutes in life and no absolutes in reefkeeping either ...

Albert

Yes that seems fine ... make sure the water flow is correct and keep the parameters at the suggested levels.

When you have some pics .. do post them .. I am sure the readers on here would like to see how it looks ... Thanks

Albert

1501898_10201206370343503_1563456991_n.j

Orange Crush Leptastrea

1462197_10201207213004569_961106321_n.jp

Another not so common coral. Fragilis Plate coral

• Like 2

Orange Crush Leptastrea

Another not so common coral. Fragilis Plate coral

Diaseris fragilis, the self fragging coral which I described at length in one of the Nano Reef Newsletters .. indeed a very interesting plate coral ...

Nice

Albert

Well what do you think of that? Who would have thought that you can feed copperbands clams. OMG what a concept.

Like DUH. I have been saying that for 40 years. Copperbands are no harder than any other fish, just feed them clams and worms and they will live forever, and if you are lucky, they will even bring in the paper.

• Like 1

Well what do you think of that? Who would have thought that you can feed copperbands clams. OMG what a concept.

Like DUH. I have been saying that for 40 years. Copperbands are no harder than any other fish, just feed them clams and worms and they will live forever, and if you are lucky, they will even bring in the paper.

Yes go figure ... suddenly what you have been doing for decades is "discovered" ... I got a good laugh out of reading that post ... it was like they made it sound like a "miracle" :) they suddenly saw happening :)

Albert

A thread on Mantis Shrimp and possible causes or reasons for Shell Rot ... in particular IME water quality levels are most important, and light may play a role as well. This thread deals with the disease in Peacock Mantis for the most part but it affects all Mantis shrimp or at least can do so and will if certain basic recommendations are not followed.

Roy Caldwell has been researching Mantis Shrimp for 30+ years and is considered an export.

It is therefore kind of surprising that no one to my knowledge has isolated what organism causes shell Rot and what contributing factors may be ...

Anyone with any information on Shell Rot of Mantis Shrimp and/or Images, please do post them here and contribute to the knowledge base on this pesky disease of Mantis Shrimp

http://www.thereefuge.com.au/threads/shell-rot-peacock-mantis-shrimp-o-scyllarus.5532/

Albert

Old Tank Syndrome, what a novel thought. I think that kicks in after a tank is 43 years old and thank God for that as my tank still has another 3 months before that happens, then it is anybody's guess as to what will happen. Maybe it will be like that Mayan Calander thing that will just fizzle out.

I just got some more news. My Daughter will be having a baby any time now. She isn't due for two more weeks but the Dr. said to be ready any time now.
I got the bassinet ready to go and I am all set. I also have the room almost ready in my house for when they come and visit or when we babysit. I have Great's name on the wall and I am figuring out where to put Teddy's name
http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/2013-10-01024123_zpsd3f1b034.jpg.html'>2013-10-01024123_zpsd3f1b034.jpg

http://s258.photobucket.com/user/urchsearch/media/2013-10-01024109_zps07d66a98.jpg.html'>2013-10-01024109_zps07d66a98.jpg

• Like 2

Old Tank Syndrome, what a novel thought. I think that kicks in after a tank is 43 years old and thank God for that as my tank still has another 3 months before that happens, then it is anybody's guess as to what will happen. Maybe it will be like that Mayan Calander thing that will just fizzle out.

I just got some more news. My Daughter will be having a baby any time now. She isn't due for two more weeks but the Dr. said to be ready any time now.

I got the bassinet ready to go and I am all set. I also have the room almost ready in my house for when they come and visit or when we babysit. I have Great's name on the wall and I am figuring out where to put Teddy's name

Congratulations Paul .... you and your wife are going to be real busy Grand Parents very soon :) Great and Teddy ... I am sure you are thrilled ...

And yes, I can see that you have everything set up for the new Grandchild ... very nice indeed !

Congrats again ...

And on the OTS ... watch out indeed as those 43 years are just around the corner ... anytime now .... but as we all know it is not going to be an issue in your tank ...

Albert

Paul :

was this one http://www.saltcorner.com/Articles/Showarticle.php?articleID=26 replaced by what you are now using.

Interestingly enough I am on a Canadian Forum (an Ottawa one) and one of the members was aware of your feeder and also of how you were keeping Moorish Idols alive ...

Albert

There are a lot of those seahorse feeders out there as I sold about 6,000 of them.

That was the inspiration for my new baby brine feeder. The one for seahorses used adult brine shrimp, this one uses baby brine shrimp.

The moorish Idol feeder was different. That one was a small dish laying on the substrait with a tube going up to the surface almost exactly like my Baby brine feeder. On the top of the tube was a funnel and above that was an auto feeder that would drop pellets into the funnel every few hours. A small supply of water was constantly pumped into the funnel to help the pellets go down. The pellets were infused with fish oil and the moorish Idol would check out the dish on every run around the tank. He could hear the feeder and watch the pellets sink then he would gobble them up as soon as they hit the dish. The main feeding for that fish was sponge that i discovered growing wild here in NY and the Idol would practically jump out of the water for it. Of course he also got worms. That idol lived for almost 5 years which stinks but for a moorish Idol it is practically a record. I think he would still be alive but I killed him and most of my fish in an accident while I was away for an emergency when my Mom died. I also lost an 18 year old cusk eel and a very old mandarin, but the fireclown that I still have made it through.

Moorish Idols should be fed quite a few times a day, and that feeder acomplished that.

• Like 1

There are a lot of those seahorse feeders out there as I sold about 6,000 of them.

That was the inspiration for my new baby brine feeder. The one for seahorses used adult brine shrimp, this one uses baby brine shrimp.

The moorish Idol feeder was different. That one was a small dish laying on the substrait with a tube going up to the surface almost exactly like my Baby brine feeder. On the top of the tube was a funnel and above that was an auto feeder that would drop pellets into the funnel every few hours. A small supply of water was constantly pumped into the funnel to help the pellets go down. The pellets were infused with fish oil and the moorish Idol would check out the dish on every run around the tank. He could hear the feeder and watch the pellets sink then he would gobble them up as soon as they hit the dish.

The main feeding for that fish was sponge that i discovered growing wild here in NY and the Idol would practically jump out of the water for it. Of course he also got worms.

That idol lived for almost 5 years which stinks but for a moorish Idol it is practically a record. I think he would still be alive but I killed him and most of my fish in an accident while I was away for an emergency when my Mom died. I also lost an 18 year old cusk eel and a very old mandarin, but the fireclown that I still have made it through.

Moorish Idols should be fed quite a few times a day, and that feeder acomplished that.

Wow that is quite amazing for a Sea horse feeder, 6000+ .... and thanks for the details on the other feeders including the one you used for the Moorish Idol. Apparently some store in Toronto I am told is keeping them alive for years and years but I have not been able to figure out yet which store it is .. working on it though.

Interesting concept how you dispensed the food ... and yes I knew how you had lost the fish and some others... pity .. but it happens ...

The unexpected is sometimes just around the corner unfortunately ...

Albert

This is one of my biggest pet peeves in the hobby.

Indeed, and I am sure you are not alone ... happens way too often IMO ... and it upsets a lot of Hobbyists when it happens to them.

Albert

Excessive Photoshopping ... :( What you see is NOT what you get

http://www.reef2reef.com/blog/photo-chop-what-you-see-is-not-what-you-get/

Albert

My tank pictures always look natural because I don't know how to use photoshop

If I knew how to use that, do you think my self portraits would look like this?

Indeed indeed ... it is amazing what Photoshop can do but the issue is that the Learning Curve for the program is very steep ... and even with How to books and help files it is into always that easy to figure out how to do certain things ...

Of course nowadays there are plenty of other programs on the market that can do a lot of what PS can do, and are a lot cheaper, and in fact one is even free (GIMP) and is a very powerful photo manipulation program too.

And gee I kind of like that PIC of you :)

Albert

I think the majority of tank pictures are photoshoped as even corals in the sea and fish don't have those garish colors. I always see pictures of hippo tangs with this beautiful deep royal blue, they are not that color, not even in the ocean.

I myself have emerald green eyes but I photoshop them to look duller.

• Like 1

I think the majority of tank pictures are photoshoped as even corals in the sea and fish don't have those garish colors. I always see pictures of hippo tangs with this beautiful deep royal blue, they are not that color, not even in the ocean.

I myself have emerald green eyes but I photoshop them to look duller.

Well I don't think they all are but some are indeed, and often those shown on online sites where they are offered for sale ...

And yes the Hippo Tang is a good example of enhanced colors on fish ...

Glad to read you tone down the color of your eyes as intense emerald green could be scary to look at indeed :)

Albert