Coral Vue Hydros

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

December 25th is my favorite day of the year. People buy presents, put up a tree, get in a good mood have parties, visit friends and family and in general have a good time, and we all know why?

It's my Birthday.

OK, it's also Christmas. :D

Merry Christmas, happy holidays, Happy New Year

Yes indeed Paul .... and an early Happy Birthday to you and best wishes to you and your entire Family

Albert

Issue 25 of the Nano Reef Newsletter, the last issue of Volume I, has been added to our Web Site www.nanoreefs.info and can now be downloaded if you have registered to do so and own a printed copy of my Nano-Reef Aquariums Book.

If you do not own a printed copy of my book, you can order the Newsletter via the web site and you will have access to the 25 already published + 20 more that will make up Volume II

Hope you all had Enjoyable Holidays and I wish you a great 2014 and Happy Reef Keeping

ALBERT

fish32.png

I have a question: Is the denitrifying bacteria in saltwater aquariums the same species as in freshwater aquariums?

Well there is no easy answer as the whole process both in FW and SW aquariums is more complicated than just comparing denitrifying organisms .... yes that used to be what we all read but since then advances in our understanding of the processes that take place have been made.

You may want to read this detailed article :

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/4/chemistry

Hopefully that will clarify the process for you ...

And on FW .... the principles are the same but the bacteria are not just what we thought they were :

http://www.oscarfish.com/article-home/water/71-autotrophic-bacteria-manifesto.html

There are more articles on the subject but the more scientific ones are not free and need to be purchased but the two links above should give you a better understanding I hope of the processes that need to occur

Albert

Thats cool but I am not getting Google Chrome. I used to have chrome on my 1966 Bonneville and it was a pain to polish.

From now on I will just describe the picture I want to post.

This is a picture of me jumping out of a plane over the Himilaya's

And here I am fighting a Great White Shark.

• Like 1

I can't paste or post pictures on this forum any more, what happened? It works everywhere else.

That is odd ... I FTP mine to my server and then use the insert image link to create the reference to it ... maybe you ran out of allowable space on the forum itself for storing/uploading pics and then including them in posts ... not sure but you could email an Admin and find out I guess ... You may need to become a premium member .... could be

Or you should check with where ever you store pics now.

Plain copy and paste does as far as I know not work on this forum.

Hope your Santa Clausing went went ... and that you had some great Holiday

Albert

That hapd to me before, i had to use Google Chrome all of a sudden and then no problem with my pics.

Strange indeed .. never happened to me for some reason but I do not upload the pics to the forum here but to my ISP via FTP and then just enter a reference to that pic using the buttom%20image.png that is visible when posting, but I guess you knew that Annette ....

Albert

Thats cool but I am not getting Google Chrome. I used to have chrome on my 1966 Bonneville and it was a pain to polish.

From now on I will just describe the picture I want to post.

This is a picture of me jumping out of a plane over the Himilaya's

And here I am fighting a Great White Shark.

Paul :

When you upload pictures or try to, where do you store them first before creating a link to them in the posts you made, as you have been able to do it for as long as I can remember?

In fact you did a few days ago with a pic of Greta ....

There are several sites you can use but the forum itself allows you to upload pics so you can include them in your posts but I think there is a limit and you can increase that by becoming a premium member ... (the I support Nano-Reef.com) thingie you see under my name in the posts.

Costs $12 if I remember well for 6 months or $2 a month which is not bad at all ... Just saying ...

And on your description of the latest ones ... hopefully you had some real good warm clothing and protective gear on, as it gets pretty cold there :) :)

Albert

That hapd to me before, i had to use Google Chrome all of a sudden and then no problem with my pics.

Where were you uploading your pics to first Annette if I may ask ?

Albert

I use photobucket a pic hosting site. Surely use such you can post as many as you want that way?

I think that is what most use indeed Les ...

Hope you had some enjoyable Holidays ...

Albert

Yes thanks Albert but its been non stop visiting etc. I am at friends at the mo. Work tomorrow however. Hope you and all on here had a nice Christmas?

Yes I can imagine you have been busy ... like many of us ..

I am off to Miami on the 1st returning on the 2nd, to see my daughter and husband and my 2 grand children. They were in NY for a week and will be in MIA for 2 days ... Very much looking forward to it as I havre not seen them for quite some time. Nicest X-mas present I could get for sure ...

Wishing you and all other readers a great 2014 ! And Happy Reef Keeping

Albert

Paul :

When you upload pictures or try to, where do you store them first before creating a link to them in the posts you made, as you have been able to do it for as long as I can remember?

In fact you did a few days ago with a pic of Greta ....

There are several sites you can use but the forum itself allows you to upload pics so you can include them in your posts but I think there is a limit and you can increase that by becoming a premium member ... (the I support Nano-Reef.com) thingie you see under my name in the posts.

Costs $12 if I remember well for 6 months or $2 a month which is not bad at all ... Just saying ...

And on your description of the latest ones ... hopefully you had some real good warm clothing and protective gear on, as it gets pretty cold there :) :)

Albert

Where were you uploading your pics to first Annette if I may ask ?

Albert

It was photobucket. I've not had issues since so someone suggested Google Chrome and then it worked again. Bizarre.

• Like 1

It was photobucket. I've not had issues since so someone suggested Google Chrome and then it worked again. Bizarre.

That is very odd indeed .. not had that experience but then I use a Mac so my browser of choice is Safari ... but at times I will use Chrome but not very often, but as I said I upload the pics to the server of my ISP ....

Albert

I use photobucket as I do with all forums. It works everywhere but here. I also can't quote any one as that also doesn't work. Everything worked a few days ago. I was 65 on Christmas, maybe now that I am on Medicaid, I am no longer elegible. :unsure:

Here is a picture of my hang gliding in the Himalays..............Use your imagination

• Like 1

I use photobucket as I do with all forums. It works everywhere but here. I also can't quote any one as that also doesn't work. Everything worked a few days ago. I was 65 on Christmas, maybe now that I am on Medicaid, I am no longer elegible. :unsure:

Here is a picture of my hang gliding in the Himalays..............Use your imagination

No idea what the problem could be Paul .... sorry about that ...

And on the Hang Gliding ... wow ... NICE .... that one must have beaten your previous record for staying in flight for longer ! :)

Albert

Well there is no easy answer as the whole process both in FW and SW aquariums is more complicated than just comparing denitrifying organisms .... yes that used to be what we all read but since then advances in our understanding of the processes that take place have been made.

You may want to read this detailed article :

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2011/4/chemistry

Hopefully that will clarify the process for you ...

And on FW .... the principles are the same but the bacteria are not just what we thought they were :

http://www.oscarfish.com/article-home/water/71-autotrophic-bacteria-manifesto.html

There are more articles on the subject but the more scientific ones are not free and need to be purchased but the two links above should give you a better understanding I hope of the processes that need to occur

Albert

It seems that there are several denitrifying bacteria. The reason I asked is that I developed a denitrifying filter for my tank. I am considering making these for sale and I would like it to work in both FW and SW tanks. Reef tank people need a denitrifying filter the most. Fish only and FW tanks don't have the same nitrate issues.

• Like 1