SaltCritters.com

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

yeah, 10 of the 16 species are new/unidentified

Here are two more that grow off the Chilean coast but are m,ore temperate than tropical so very slow acclimating may be needed and survival may not be guaranteed

Phymactis%20papillosa_SteveWeast.jpg

Phymactis papillosa © Steve Weast

Phymanthea%20pluvia_KennethWingerter.jpg

Phymanthea pluvia © Kenneth Wingerter

and of course there are more ...

Albert

yeah, 10 of the 16 species are new/unidentified

And this one :

Anthothoe chilensis which as the name indicates is Chilean ...

striped.png

© Wikipedia

Albert

Thanks, this is all the Grand Children I have that I know about.

OK, the picture thing isn't working again. I guess it only works once a week

Sorry to read it is not working again ... very strange Grandpa x2

Albert

OK, I am going to try again.

Nope, make believe there is a picture of a little bald guy above this and he is not me.

Sorry about all your troubles with adding pics Paul .....

Albert

Thanks Albert. I am not having trouble, the site is. And, now it is working again. Maybe it goes with phases of the moon :unsure:

Teddy_zps7b1812a3.jpg

Thanks Albert. I am not having trouble, the site is. And, now it is working again. Maybe it goes with phases of the moon :unsure:

Wow what a lovely Child or Grandchild I should say ... Teddy looks like you for sure !

Glad you got that picture thingie to work again ... not sure why you are having intermittent problems but at least it is not totally down.

My congrats to the parents and grand parents on this happy happy event .... Greta and now Teddy ... a King's Dream : a girl and a boy !

Very nice indeed

Happy New Year

Albert

When I launched the Nano-Reef Aquariums Book, I gave everyone who ordered a printed version of the Book a free copy of the e-Version, and also a Free subscription to 25 issues of the Nano Reef Newsletter.

25 issues of the Newsletter have now been published, and everyone who subscribed for the free issues, as indicated in the Blog section of our Web Site www.nanoreefs.info, is able to download them.

So we are now at the point where Volume 1 of the Newsletter is complete, and I am starting on Volume 2, with issue 1.

I am not going to ask you to re-subscribe to get more issues, and pay to receive the issues of Volume 2, but I would appreciate it if you made a $$ donation in the amount of your choice to my Paypal account a.thiel@att.net, so I do get some kind of compensation for the work and effort that goes into producing the newsletters.

Will I unsubscribe you if you do not make a contribution? No, I will not. I would however appreciate receiving some amount of monetary donation of your choice for the work, time and research that it takes for me to produce the Newsletters.

Thank you in advance for your understanding and consideration. I appreciate it.

Albert

We are some hours ahesd of the US here in the UK so forgive me for thus early post.

To all on Alberts thread come forum and especially to Albert of course. Happy New Year to you all may all your troubles in the new year be nano ones.

I also wish Alberts thread continues as it is a friendly helpful thread where any reef keeping question can be asked without fesr of put downs. Thank you Albert fir all your hard work and thank you to all the posters who have added to the success of this thread. Best wishes for the new year to each and everyone. .

Les.

• Like 2

We are some hours ahesd of the US here in the UK so forgive me for thus early post.

To all on Alberts thread come forum and especially to Albert of course. Happy New Year to you all may all your troubles in the new year be nano ones.

I also wish Alberts thread continues as it is a friendly helpful thread where any reef keeping question can be asked without fesr of put downs. Thank you Albert fir all your hard work and thank you to all the posters who have added to the success of this thread. Best wishes for the new year to each and everyone. .

Les.

Thank you very kindly Les for the kind words and for the wishes for 2014.

All the same to you and your Family ... and your grandchildren and grown up children ...

I appreciate the kind words about the thread as well, very much in fact.

I will continue this thread in 2014 and hopefully the posts will help or keep helping those who follow the posts.

Have a Jolly and Happy New year

Albert

This was a test, but it works again, so wierd. I just took this

Very nice Paul and yes it did work .... very strange ...

All the best for the New Year to you entire and extended Family

Albert

Albert, I used your Critter Light just now with my lights off and discovered a few things. The clown gobies still protect their eggs in the dark, The male mandarin still tries to suck shrimp out of the feeder even though it has been empty for hours. (But he may still have a hang over as he had a big night last night) I found a tiny "gobi" that I didn't know was still alive, I don't see any more of those weird snails in my tank and I can't find any bristle worms, but I know there in there someplace. The possum wrasse also hunts at night.

And last but not least, the pictures won't post again. But I am getting used to that.

• Like 1

Just wondering what are peoples experiences with these relatively new full spectrum LED units esp with there green and red LEDs? Most only seem to have 2 each of these colours and given most also have 90degree lenses surely they would not cover most tanks even st 12" above the waters surface. These colour LEDs appear to be provided at the expense of white LEDs or am I missing somthing here? Thanks.

• Like 1

Albert, I used your Critter Light just now with my lights off and discovered a few things. The clown gobies still protect their eggs in the dark, The male mandarin still tries to suck shrimp out of the feeder even though it has been empty for hours. (But he may still have a hang over as he had a big night last night) I found a tiny "gobi" that I didn't know was still alive, I don't see any more of those weird snails in my tank and I can't find any bristle worms, but I know there in there someplace. The possum wrasse also hunts at night.

And last but not least, the pictures won't post again. But I am getting used to that.

Thanks Paul for pointing that out ... glad it allowed you to "discover" some fish and other critters in your tank (there or no longer there, like those snails). BTW of the all those Mud snails you sent me, most are still alive and voyaging around the 10 gallon Nano they are now in ... and I think they have spawned a few times too but nothing came of that ...

Nice that you found that Goby back !

I guess the feeding of the Mandarin is sort of normal as it is constantly in search of food .. so I feel sorry for it if the little basket at the bottom of the tank is empty and it is just getting "exercise" but no food :)

And yes the Possum Wrasse IME feels safer at night and will therefore be out with its "big guns" hunting .... :)

BTW .... I am still in Miami visiting with my Daughter and her Husband and my Grand Children who are here from Belgium for a few days still, but I am returning to ATL tonight on a late flight.

Whether here has been so so but today it is supposed to be nice and warm and not as cloudy as it has been (and no rain predicted either).

And here is a livc of the two of us on South Beach ...

SharonEt%20Moi.JPG

Albert

• Like 1

Hi Albert,

I know you will be enjoying your short stay in Miami and all too soon it will be time to leave your children, their spouses and of course your grandchildren. I am sure you will make the most of the time you have with them.

You may have seen my discussion about so called nutrient factories on the Facebook thread. Anyway IMO detritus is mostly misunderstood and blamed for all manner of things. Too much detritus is not such a good thing however Eric Borneman wrote an excellent article on the subject so I hope you don't mind me sharing the link with everybody on here who may not have read it before.

. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/eb/

Happy New you to you and your family and to all on here.

• Like 1

Just wondering what are peoples experiences with these relatively new full spectrum LED units esp with there green and red LEDs? Most only seem to have 2 each of these colours and given most also have 90degree lenses surely they would not cover most tanks even st 12" above the waters surface. These colour LEDs appear to be provided at the expense of white LEDs or am I missing somthing here? Thanks.

No experience with them yet Les but let's see what others may have to day ...

Albert

Hi Albert,

I know you will be enjoying your short stay in Miami and all too soon it will be time to leave your children, their spouses and of course your grandchildren. I am sure you will make the most of the time you have with them.

You may have seen my discussion about so called nutrient factories on the Facebook thread. Anyway IMO detritus is mostly misunderstood and blamed for all manner of things. Too much detritus is not such a good thing however Eric Borneman wrote an excellent article on the subject so I hope you don't mind me sharing the link with everybody on here who may not have read it before.

. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-03/eb/

Happy New you to you and your family and to all on here.

Yes I did see it and posted a reply Les ...

And yes .... all good things have to come to an end ... unfortunately ... so today is the last day with all of them here, I am heading back to ATL and tomorrow morning they are heading back to Belgium, via Washington, and then on to Brussels.

Had a super time and more to come today ...

Albert

Albert

Very nice to be in Miami Albert. And your Daughter is beautiful.

I will be going to Key Largo soon as my factory is there.

Thank you Paul ... and yes she is for sure ... Thank you ...

Good trip to Key Largo .... and thanks for the kind words

Albert

Plenty of snow here today and 14 degrees. Real man weather.

Yes I heard it on the weather news ... and my family got stuck in Miami because their flight to Washington where they needed to catch a connection to Brussels got delayed by over 4 hours. Looks like they may still make it out and get on a different flight but not a direct one later tonight ... I hope so for them.

And a great pic of Teddy .... and of you of course too :)... That smile on your face tells it all Paul ... a HAPPY Grandpa for sure.

Albert