Cultivated Reef

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

MyLiquidBlue29BC

Glas the linked article helped you in a better understanding of all the various so-called Mushrooms that are around in the trade.

And yes keep Acans and Chalices of all kinds ( Echinophyllia, Oxypora, Mycedium, Pectinia, Physophyllia, Echinomorpha and Echinopora although these are not a true Faviid, they are often included in the Chalice group due to their similar morphology to them). Chalices are great of course, and very desirable, but the $$ can sometimes be pretty steep, depending on how large the piece you buy is and its colors. Gorgeous looking though. Note that Pectinia is an interesting one in this group as once it has been acclimated to your lighting and tank conditions it will extend it feeder tentacles during the day and some of those can be quite long.

Saw one while I was in Jacksonville FL, this week end, at Bio Reef Aquariums where some of them must have been at least 4 or more inches long ... swaying in the water trying to capture food. And there were not just a few, there were plenty of them.

All Chalices are covered in my Nano-Reef Aquariums book btw, in a rather long section on Chalices.

Back to Ricordea :

The Ricordea that probably extends and swells the most, and becomes the largest during the day, is IME R. yuma, and so keep that one away from other Mushroom or other corals.

They will not harm each other (I have 5 of them all growing in just about the same area and posted pictures of them on this thread quite a few times).,

Ricordea's will spread and multiply too but not as fast as Actinodiscus but they will. A small part of the pedal disk detaches and basically grows into a new one. That is how I went from 1 to 5 ...

Eventually they also seem to make space for each other as the buds that detach are underneath the larger one in the beginning and thus are shielded from light etc ... so in the beginning you may want to make sure you provide supplemental food, but as I said as the new small ones grow, the larger ones seem to make space for them, and move out of the ways a little, and the new babies that grow up are then exposed to your lighting, which they need for nutrient production.

They may not get the beneficial effect of your lighting right away as the larger ones may only move upwards or sideways or in some manner to let the small ones be exposed to lighting, but after a while they will do so, and note that the small one can move very slowly away from underneath the rock they are on (attached to) and move kind of next to the larger ones so they are no longer hidden by them.

My R. florida did grow new head and went from 2 in one aquarium to 6 but it took much longer for this to happen that with R. yuma.

Note that it is important to keep a good eye on the rock they are on, or that they are attached to, and make sure NO algae of any kind, hair or bubble or other, grow on those attachment rock pieces, as if any do the algae will eventually reach the bottom of the meaty Ricordea Polyp, and start pushing out of the way, which results in the Polyp letting go and loosening itself from the piece of rock,. and rubble, and sort of sway in the water and eventually become damaged and infected which "can" lead to the loss of the head or polyp.

But if you keep your nutrients low and keep an eye on the bottom of the Ricordea and also of the Mushrooms rubble rock to which they are attached, even if some algae grow on them you should be able to scrub them off (but you will need to remove the rock from the tank to do so). If you cannot remove it then use a toothbrush for instance with very strong hard stiff bristles and scrub them off. This may have to be done several times as not all of them may come off the first time you do so. .... but it is very possible to do so if that should happen to you.

If the water conditions are good though, meaning low nutrients and no HH bubble or wiry algae, you should more than likely not have to deal with this.

Anyway enough rambling on my part ... hope all of this helps ... and if you go for Ricordea look around and around as there are some super colorful ones available in the Hobby and not always for lots of $$$.

Enjoy

Albert

Did you like Bio Reef? I have to have great restraint when I'm there! They have a great selection of everything! (I was going to say nano tank fish, but tht is a huge understatement!) I need to pick up some snails soon, so I will look for the Pectinia.

R. Florida and R. Yuma are my favorite corals, so I have a big rock set aside for them. R. Florida are petty easy to come by and fairly inexpensive, so I plan on getting four or five different colors and letting them grow. Yumas are a lot more expensive, but also more beautiful, I think. I'm going to wait on getting a Yuma or two until my Floridas are doing well and I can afford a really nice one. I don't want to kill it. :) It's good to know that the Yuma will out produce the Florida, eventually.

When I had my tank set up before I couldn't keep either alive. The Yuma I had turned white and died. The Florida would always detach. After reading about the algae, this must have been the problem. I did everything you said not to do with my tank last time I had it up. It was a disaster!

Now that I have all this new info, I think I'm going to tweak my rock scape one more time. Hopefully I will have success to report as the months go by.

Thank you!

• Like 1

Did you like Bio Reef? I have to have great restraint when I'm there! They have a great selection of everything! (I was going to say nano tank fish, but tht is a huge understatement!) I need to pick up some snails soon, so I will look for the Pectinia.

R. Florida and R. Yuma are my favorite corals, so I have a big rock set aside for them. R. Florida are petty easy to come by and fairly inexpensive, so I plan on getting four or five different colors and letting them grow. Yumas are a lot more expensive, but also more beautiful, I think. I'm going to wait on getting a Yuma or two until my Floridas are doing well and I can afford a really nice one. I don't want to kill it. :) It's good to know that the Yuma will out produce the Florida, eventually.

When I had my tank set up before I couldn't keep either alive. The Yuma I had turned white and died. The Florida would always detach. After reading about the algae, this must have been the problem. I did everything you said not to do with my tank last time I had it up. It was a disaster!

Now that I have all this new info, I think I'm going to tweak my rock scape one more time. Hopefully I will have success to report as the months go by.

Thank you!

The Bio Reef Store is truly something else ... not modern or appealing looking, but who cares about what the interior looks like really, it is the corals and fish they keep that are of interest to us, and I have to say that I have not seen corals in such great shape and in so many tanks at an LFS in a long time.

In fact there is indeed so much there, and of such high quality, that it is hard to make up one's mind on what to buy. Truly an amazing store with a super selection of Corals and Fish, large and small (and even very large).

The other store I kind of like was Coral Reef Junkies ... nice and clean and a reasonable choice. Of course they are fairly new and still building up the store and expanding. Nice though.

We also visited Orange Park Aquatics, and I found that their tanks looked in real good shape and full of all kinds of corals and in some cases so full of growth that many of the corals cannot be sold because they have become part of the rock structure in the tank. Nice selection of a lot of life forms though.

And yes R. florida would be a good choice and as you say very available and at reasonable prices. Mind you if you look around you should be able to find R. yumas too that are not too expensive but they may not have as many colors ...

When you get R. yumas let me know and I will tell you what I did to keep them healthy and growing and splitting and multiplying.

Thanks for the update and keep in touch and good idea to do some rescaping so you can make space where you need it for whatever corals you acquire.

Happy reefkeeping

Albert

• Like 1

hey just an update on that goniopora that we were trying to ID before. It has grown quite a bit, so I'm pretty sure I must be keeping it in favorable conditions.

s5k60i.jpg

11ryphk.jpg

of note though, it does seem that the tentacles (is that what they are properly called?) have gotten longer, and I have noticed that more of them have noticeable blue tips (with nematocysts?). If this something to worried of for nearby corals?

• Like 1

hey just an update on that goniopora that we were trying to ID before. It has grown quite a bit, so I'm pretty sure I must be keeping it in favorable conditions.

of note though, it does seem that the tentacles (is that what they are properly called?) have gotten longer, and I have noticed that more of them have noticeable blue tips (with nematocysts?). If this something to worried of for nearby corals?

I think the one we agreed upon that you had is more than likely this one which can indeed develop those tips with nematocysts for protection. So nothing to worry about. Although the one shown is from ORA there are other captive grown ones by other breeders.

http://reefbuilders.com/2010/05/04/captive-grown-red-flowerpot-coral-ora-certifies-aquarium-suitability-goniopora/

Good to read it is doing well and has grown ...

Albert

That is one of the mysteries in this hobby as they come from silted up bays and harbors and not from pristine reefs which makes me think they need to be fed. They probably live on bacteria and mud particles. They don't hold the record for longevity as two years is tough for them to stay alive in a reef tank

• Like 1

That is one of the mysteries in this hobby as they come from silted up bays and harbors and not from pristine reefs which makes me think they need to be fed. They probably live on bacteria and mud particles. They don't hold the record for longevity as two years is tough for them to stay alive in a reef tank

Well something has got to be going well for it to be growing. I certainly don't keep a "pristine" tank, that's for sure. No skimming. Although I feed the tank very often, I haven't seen my goiniopora actually eat anything. I've fed it goniopowder, and the polyp's tentacles will seem to close up around the food, but a few minutes later it's obvious that it hasn't ingested any food because it just slimes off the polyps when they open up.

I think there deffinitelly needs to be some more research done on this species -- like, the most recent AA article on them was published almost a decade ago

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2005/10/aafeature2

• Like 1

IME Goni's often do very well in the aquarium initially and for up to a year or more but then start to decline. Some do however live for much longer why I still think we have to find out. I kept one for close on 9 months some years ago and before special foods became available. Seems to me there is still more to learn about them.

• Like 1

I can keep anything for a year, but certain gonopora's such as flower pots grow, seem happy, smile a lot and in a year, for no apparent reason, keep over and croak. And a year with any animal stinks.

• Like 1

Unless Paul the year you have it and it dies is because its the natural end of its life cycle. However we can safely assume when a goni dies its not simply due to natural causes as such but due to either the conditions in our aquarium not providing for its needs or a deficiency in its diet. I would guess most Goni's are a couple of years old at least before brought to the aquarium trade. I have not tried to keep a goni since and along with certain other species until such a time we can expect to keep them for a period similar to what they would enjoy in the wild.

• Like 1

Unless Paul the year you have it and it dies is because its the natural end of its life cycle. However we can safely assume when a goni dies its not simply due to natural causes as such but due to either the conditions in our aquarium not providing for its needs or a deficiency in its diet. I would guess most Goni's are a couple of years old at least before brought to the aquarium trade. I have not tried to keep a goni since and along with certain other species until such a time we can expect to keep them for a period similar to what they would enjoy in the wild.

More than likely nutritional deficiency or an injury in some cases and a bacterial infection that follows resulting in polyp necrosis, but the malnutrition is more than likely to be the cause IME

Albert

• Like 1

I can keep anything for a year, but certain gonopora's such as flower pots grow, seem happy, smile a lot and in a year, for no apparent reason, keep over and croak. And a year with any animal stinks.

As far as I know Paul you can keep just about anything for a lot longer than a year ... but Goniopora coral seems to be the exception to the rule for many a Hobbyist indeed.

Some say that spot feeding each tentacle with Planktonic food is needed and that is obviously very hard to do, and of course they come from areas where the water is turbid and that is not the case in most aquariums where the water is "too clean"

Albert

• Like 1

I don't know of anyone who has kept a flower pot gonopora for any length of time.

I just looked on RC. I have a thread there that is 182 pages long and almost 9 years old. I wonder who reads all of this stuff? :unsure:

• Like 3

I don't know of anyone who has kept a flower pot gonopora for any length of time.

I just looked on RC. I have a thread there that is 182 pages long and almost 9 years old. I wonder who reads all of this stuff? :unsure:

Oh people do read those posts Paul but I don't think anyone would read 182 pages if they just joined RC and went to your thread :)

Same here, with over 600 pages it is unlikely anyone would read them all :)

And on the Goniopora to be honest I do not know anyone either that has kept it alive for more than a year or a little more. Most don't manage to keep it alive for that long IME

Albert

• Like 1

A quick search on RC and you'll find several success stories:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2251269

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1916016

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1786412

• Like 1

My quote thing doesn't work any more on this site, I have no idea why.

Anyway, Hypostatic, I stand by what I said, I don't know anyone who has kept a flower pot gonopora for any length of time. I don't know a lot of people who have a gonopora. (I also don't know the people in that thread B) The oldest one there is 8 weeks old. There is a person with a green gonopora that is 15 years old and that is great for anything, but I don't think that is a common flower pot gonopora. Other types of gonopora live a long time but for some reason, not the flower pots which is a shame as they are very common and not to expensive.

It's like Moorish Idols, they are notoriousely difficult to keep and some one will say they have a very old one that they got in 2011. A Moorish Idol should live 12 or 15 years (I am guessing and only going by similar sized fish) A coral should live forever as they keep dying and the offspring grow on top of the parent, that is how they build reefs.

Merry Christmas. :D

• Like 2

My quote thing doesn't work any more on this site, I have no idea why.

Anyway, Hypostatic, I stand by what I said, I don't know anyone who has kept a flower pot gonopora for any length of time. I don't know a lot of people who have a gonopora. (I also don't know the people in that thread B) The oldest one there is 8 weeks old. There is a person with a green gonopora that is 15 years old and that is great for anything, but I don't think that is a common flower pot gonopora. Other types of gonopora live a long time but for some reason, not the flower pots which is a shame as they are very common and not to expensive.

It's like Moorish Idols, they are notoriousely difficult to keep and some one will say they have a very old one that they got in 2011. A Moorish Idol should live 12 or 15 years (I am guessing and only going by similar sized fish) A coral should live forever as they keep dying and the offspring grow on top of the parent, that is how they build reefs.

Merry Christmas. :D

I posted questions to those three threads asking how those Goniopora where doing now ... so let's see if I get any answers ...

And on that one that is said to have lived 10 to 15 years ... that is a huge spread ... does that Hob not know how long really ... I mean a 5 year spread is introducing somewhat of a doubt to the thread ... Would one not know whether it was 10 or 11 or more .. or 15 for that matter ... seems odd for sure.

Wonder whether any of them will reply ...

And a early Merry Christmas to you too ...

Albert

• Like 1

Thank you Albert. And Christmas day is my birthday. I will be between 55 and 80 years old. I am not sure exactly.

:) ... Sort of like 65 ... ? but you do look much younger :) Of course if your tank has been running for 42 years that means you would have set it up when you were 23 .... not sure about that though ... :)

All the best to you and your Family and the grandchildren ....

Albert

My birthday is 3 days before Christmas but I stopped having them after I got to 21 as I only have 20 fingers and toes to count on.

A happy early one to you then Les and to Paul too ... and many many many many more ....

(and I do not count anymore either)

And the same to all other readers of the thread ...

Albert