Top Shelf Aquatics

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

What is this Albert? http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/337548-help-please/#entry4564187 My curiosity has been peaked.

Looks like a juvenile Zoanthid eating Aeolid Nudibranch ... but then since it is so small it could be a juvenile Fireworm too ... which are carnivores as well ...

Give that there are so many though and since the Zoas are disappearing I would opt for now for the Nudi though.

Note that at this stage I would have to say that it can be either or ..

Albert

A member wants to know whether Teddy Bear crabs ( Polydectus cupulifer ) are reef sale : they are definitely not ...

teddybearcrab.png

They look great but unfortunately will kill off quite a few life forms in a reef including snails, other crabs, shrimp and more

Albert

• Like 1

Albert, this relates to your newsletter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgotvtgh410893g/PB141361.JPG

We were Snorkelling escape reef, part of the Great Barrier Reef, last month.

R.

One more

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nolly985tpbbnur/PB141807.JPG

Thanks Rick and yes those pics certainly do ...

Thanks for passing those along ... I will use them in the Next Newsletter if you do not mind.

Albert

• Like 2

Thanks Rick and yes those pics certainly do ...

Thanks for passing those along ... I will use them in the Next Newsletter if you do not mind.

Albert

dont mind at all

These are large fish in the wild...6-8"

• Like 2

dont mind at all These are large fish in the wild...6-8"

Yes they are indeed. In aquariums they stay smaller, but still grow large and are not suited for small Nano's + they need all those resting places like the ones shown in the pictures (ideally) but will "sit" on other corals as well and on the rock .. but these are not for everyone of course due to the size they grow to.

Thanks for sending those pics to me ... Great shots !

Albert

• Like 2

I was told on another forum that my LEDs cheap Chinses 120w unit would either give me growth and no colour or colour but no growth. Really? I will let you be the judge. This acro and the monti were small frags around 9 months a go. The Acro is now the size of a good sized graefruit and the Monti is a good 6" tall in fact there are 2 frags to the rear I took from it.

Acroandmillipora006_zps42e6e442.jpg

• Like 2

I had a message from another reefer a few days ago who had purchased an Oxydator after hearing about them from some research he did on the net and just happened to come across some of my ramblings about them. He was having issues with cyno at the time. He reports that all the cyno has disappeared and that his tank has never looked so good with great polyp extension. Coincidence? Well just maybe.

Albert, you have had your Oxydator "D" installed now for sometime (6 months plus maybe) so have had one longer than most on here. You are best placed and in a position to evaluate long term use t unlike some who report back on something after a few days of having something to review. What are your feelings now on the use of the Oxydator and have you changed your opinion on it in anyway?

• Like 1

I was told on another forum that my LEDs cheap Chinses 120w unit would either give me growth and no colour or colour but no growth. Really? I will let you be the judge. This acro and the monti were small frags around 9 months a go. The Acro is now the size of a good sized graefruit and the Monti is a good 6" tall in fact there are 2 frags to the rear I took from it.

Acroandmillipora006_zps42e6e442.jpg

I guess it just goes to show that many do not even explore the veracity of what some post (you in this case) and just discount products because they are not familiar with them and rather than doing research they just decide without any knowledge about products that they are not good ... or even worse that they should be avoided.

One of them that we know gets discounted all the time is of course the Oxydator ...

And I have to agree, those frags have no color and no growth :) that should be pretty obvious to anyone looking at them right :)

Just goes to prove the unwillingness of some to take a different approach, like show me in a few months ... and then I'll decide what to say about them ... but that is probably asking for too much from some.

Albert

Well I was told such by the so called forum experts Albert. They scoffed at the idea my cheapo Chinese LEDs were rubbish and that I would need to pay 3 or 4 times the price plus I would be lucky if they would still be working in a few months. I must be very lucky indeed then.

• Like 2

I had a message from another reefer a few days ago who had purchased an Oxydator after hearing about them from some research he did on the net and just happened to come across some of my ramblings about them. He was having issues with cyno at the time. He reports that all the cyno has disappeared and that his tank has never looked so good with great polyp extension. Coincidence? Well just maybe.

Albert, you have had your Oxydator "D" installed now for sometime (6 months plus maybe) so have had one longer than most on here. You are best placed and in a position to evaluate long term use t unlike some who report back on something after a few days of having something to review. What are your feelings now on the use of the Oxydator and have you changed your opinion on it in anyway?

I have not changed my mind about them Les. They are a very worthwhile addition to any tank, reef or other and they certainly help in keeping the water quality at a higher level ...

The key though is that many seem to have false expectations about what it will do and so they fail to notice what it really does, and when they do not see what they think it should do, they just discount it altogether.

It is definitely worth adding to any tank and I would not run one without it ...

All I can say about them is POSITIVE2

Albert

• Like 1

This is what I also find Albert. Some add an Oxydator expecting a cure all inc foot and mouth. Rabies hiccups baldness herpes and impotence. OK it won't cure baldness.

This is what I also find Albert. Some add an Oxydator expecting a cure all inc foot and mouth. Rabies hiccups baldness herpes and impotence. OK it won't cure baldness...... much.

• Like 1

Well I was told such by the so called forum experts Albert. They scoffed at the idea my cheapo Chinese LEDs were rubbish and that I would need to pay 3 or 4 times the price plus I would be lucky if they would still be working in a few months. I must be very lucky indeed then.

A lot of people still have the idea that expensive is better. Granted sometimes this is true, but sometimes the extra cost doesn't gain you anything, and sometimes that extra cost will get you something far worse than a cheaper alternative.

Sometimes I get a laugh out of these people who have products on or in their tank that cost more than my entire setup, especially when they put out the idea that you can't have a successful tank without spending the hundreds of dollars on that one product. :lol:

• Like 2

I guess what you should do now is post that picture and show them what the effect of the Light was ... that should convince them. Of course they may just ignore the message because they have been proven wrong.

Albert

This is what I also find Albert. Some add an Oxydator expecting a cure all inc foot and mouth. Rabies hiccups baldness herpes and impotence. OK it won't cure baldness.

This is what I also find Albert. Some add an Oxydator expecting a cure all inc foot and mouth. Rabies hiccups baldness herpes and impotence. OK it won't cure baldness...... much.

Exactly my point ... wrong expectations = misunderstanding of the purpose = wrong conclusion about its usefulness

Albert

Albert I would bother posting my pic pic there as they are far too ignorant to admit they were wrong.

Chew, so right. There is a saying you only get what you pay for but in this hobby it is often not the case as I have proven time and time again. The more you pay is not the answer to most things I have found.

• Like 1

A lot of people still have the idea that expensive is better. Granted sometimes this is true, but sometimes the extra cost doesn't gain you anything, and sometimes that extra cost will get you something far worse than a cheaper alternative.

Sometimes I get a laugh out of these people who have products on or in their tank that cost more than my entire setup, especially when they put out the idea that you can't have a successful tank without spending the hundreds of dollars on that one product. :lol:

Very true indeed ... sometimes one pays for the brand name .. and not for better efficiency ... not always as you say but in many cases that is indeed what happens

Albert

Exactly. So many tout their Vortechs and their Radions or Kessils as the only possible option for a successful tank. Granted those products are good and have their benefits but some have pretty serious drawbacks (lookin' at you Vortech). It's very possible to go cheap and still be extremely successful in this hobby.

• Like 1

Albert I would bother posting my pic pic there as they are far too ignorant to admit they were wrong.

Chew, so right. There is a saying you only get what you pay for but in this hobby it is often not the case as I have proven time and time again. The more you pay is not the answer to most things I have found.

Yes indeed you are probably right Les .. they'll just ignore it ...

Albert

Exactly. So many tout their Vortechs and their Radions or Kessils as the only possible option for a successful tank. Granted those products are good and have their benefits but some have pretty serious drawbacks (lookin' at you Vortech). It's very possible to go cheap and still be extremely successful in this hobby.

Indeed, there are two sides to every coin ... in this case the high-end priced one and the just about the same far less expensive one.

In some cases that reasoning may not apply, but in many cases it does ... one just has to look also at all the DIY plans and instructions that exist.

Albert

I have just posted this on the Salty Box forum however it is not the forum that some suggested my LEDs would not give me growth with colour as I am not a member of that particular forum anymore. I prefer to stay away from the forum that entertain abusive bigoted members.

http://www.thesaltybox.com/forum/reefs/145230-some-will-know.html#post1413452

I like the one response I saw ... :)

Albert