Top Shelf Aquatics

THE OFFICIAL ASK ALBERT THIEL THREAD

ZephNYC

I recall dying some white worms red to feed a very young copperband that would not feed on anything but blood worms when I got it. I used unflavoured food dye and the copperband did eat them but I thinbk in the end the copperband went the way of the world unfortunately.

I did put up a pic of the plans I drew of the filter above Albert not just a pic of the article. I asume thats what you mean?

I kind of figured that it was a combination of some ideas that had seen but then improved by your own imagination and experimenting.

And yes in those days we did try a lot of things and modified them as was needed or we thought would improve the system and kept tweaking it till we were content that it did what we wanted it to do.

Good for you ...

you may want to try and take a picture of the filter part itself and post that one so we can maybe see a little more detail .. just a though.

Albert

• Like 1

I just found an article I wrote for the magazine Marinews way back in October 1986 on how to breed white worms and feeding them to your marine fish. I completely forgot about that one. :rolleyes: This is like reading your life history in marines :lol:

Interesting ... if not too long you may want to send me the text and maybe I can add it to a next newsletter ...

Thanks

Albert

Unfortunately the scanner in my printer does not work Albert. All I can think of is taking a pic of it and posting that. The font is as with an old typewriter style as that was the norm for hobby type journals of the day.

• Like 1

I recall dying some white worms red to feed a very young copperband that would not feed on anything but blood worms when I got it. I used unflavoured food dye and the copperband did eat them but I thinbk in the end the copperband went the way of the world unfortunately.

I did put up a pic of the plans I drew of the filter above Albert not just a pic of the article. I asume thats what you mean?

Not sure what made the Copperband leave this world but if you used a natural dye I don't think that was the cause ... but then you never know ... maybe it needed different food .. like bring shrimp Nauplii or who knows what was available at that time.

And on the drawing yes I saw it but I was trying to get more detail ... but no problem ..

Albert

Unfortunately the scanner in my printer does not work Albert. All I can think of is taking a pic of it and posting that. The font is as with an old typewriter style as that was the norm for hobby type journals of the day.

Maybe two pics would work ... one of the top part and then one of the bottom part of the image that you posted already ... just thinking ... I'd like to see more of the detail but if you can't don't worry about it ...

Thanks

Albert

Arrested by the Tang Police ... if you are not aware of the TP, or do not understanding why they may be wrong, read this article published in Coral Magazine

Link :

http://www.coralmagazine-us.com/content/arrested-tang-police-i-refuse-confess

Albert

I've read that before and I think it's pretty misleading. The writer focuses only on one aspect, the size of the fish in relation to the amount of swimming space in the tank, but says literally nothing about the large bioload that those fish add. I think there is some decent information in it but no one should read that and use it as the whole truth about housing these fish.

• Like 1

I've read that before and I think it's pretty misleading. The writer focuses only on one aspect, the size of the fish in relation to the amount of swimming space in the tank, but says literally nothing about the large bioload that those fish add. I think there is some decent information in it but no one should read that and use it as the whole truth about housing these fish.

I guess that as with anything in our Hobby, there is always more that can be said but to cover some topics in real detail, especially in a magazine is not all that easy to do ,... but yes there is more to it that what is in the article .. but swimming space IS important ... and I think that is all the author really wanted to cover

Albert

• Like 1

I guess that as with anything in our Hobby, there is always more that can be said but to cover some topics in real detail, especially in a magazine is not all that easy to do ,... but yes there is more to it that what is in the article .. but swimming space IS important ... and I think that is all the author really wanted to cover

Albert

Agreed. I do believe that the writer should have left out his own personal forum experience out of the article. It made the entire thing come off as a well written hissy fit. :mellow:

• Like 1

IMO the majority of Tangs are unsuitable for most hobbyists tanks. The author sites the regal tang as an example of a tang which can be kept in tanks not ideal for other Tangs but its hardly representative of the group. I wrote an article back in 1987 entitled "choices and reasons" about why I like to keep small fish in good sized aquariums for which I got a lot of praise and agreement. During my sorties into my roof space I found the magazine with that article in. Suffice to say it still holds as true today as it did back then.

• Like 1

Agreed. I do believe that the writer should have left out his own personal forum experience out of the article. It made the entire thing come off as a well written hissy fit. :mellow:

I guess he had to give a good example of what can happen and how a hobbyist can recognize the TP ... and used an example of his own experience ...

But he is right about several points and one of which is why focus on Tangs when there are so many other fishes that need lots of swimming space ... and therefore larger tanks ...

And I guess that although he does not entirely agree with the TP he does make a point for the fact that a number of Tangs (in this case) are kept in aquariums that are too small.

Deciding on the correct size for any fish is not an easy undertaking and of course their size is a factor, + if they are fairly small when first added, what happens when the fish starts to grow ... and some grow fairly rapidly, all enters into the equation.

Now why the TP pics on the Hippo Tang I am not sure but I guess it is because it is one that is fairly commonly available and is not high priced ... could be.

I am not taking a pro or con position ... but agree that it is not an easy topic to deal with ... and for far more fish than just Tangs .. e.g. to give just one example : Clownfish ..

Albert

IMO the majority of Tangs are unsuitable for most hobbyists tanks. The author sites the regal tang as an example of a tang which can be kept in tanks not ideal for other Tangs but its hardly representative of the group. I wrote an article back in 1987 entitled "choices and reasons" about why I like to keep small fish in good sized aquariums for which I got a lot of praise and agreement. During my sorties into my roof space I found the magazine with that article in. Suffice to say it still holds as true today as it did back then.

Les, see my reply to Chew_Magna .., this whole topic is not an easy one to deal with at all, and as I said does not apply to Tangs alone, and not even to every genus or species of Tang, but to many other fishes as well.

Glad to read though that you were ahead of the curve and wrote about the issue in 1987 !

Albert

• Like 1

My article wasn't specifically abiut about Tangs but largeish marine fish in general Albert. I understand where you are coming from and would point to the larger lionfish as an example of one such species that does not require the same swimming space ss say large tangs and angels to name but 2.

• Like 1

My article wasn't specifically abiut about Tangs but largeish marine fish in general Albert. I understand where you are coming from and would point to the larger lionfish as an example of one such species that does not require the same swimming space ss say large tangs and angels to name but 2.

Yes indeed .. I am all with you on that .. there are many fishes that may need a lot more space than what a number of Hobbyists provide for them ... Lionfish, Triggers, Butterflies, Wrasses and so on ....

Albert

• Like 1

I read many years ago that bloody was a good food for many corals. Not sure where I read it but read it I did in fact I tried it with blood taken from some raw meat. When I added the blood my skimmer went crazy and stayed.so for quite sometime. I wonder if you Albert have heard of using blood as coral food or indeed anybody else on here?

• Like 1

I read many years ago that bloody was a good food for many corals. Not sure where I read it but read it I did in fact I tried it with blood taken from some raw meat. When I added the blood my skimmer went crazy and stayed.so for quite sometime. I wonder if you Albert have heard of using blood as coral food or indeed anybody else on here?

Les not sure where you read that ... to be honest I have never tried soaking food in meat blood or feeding corals blood in another manner.

I can also not find any discussions on this practice ... although I did see it mentioned once on RC, but no one took the poster up on it or asked for more clarification ... red blood cells are very small .. . 8 microns and although they not provide a lot of protein they do provide some but what about all the other required nutrients ?

I guess all you can do Les is try it again and see what kind of results you obtain ...

Albert

I don't remember if I read it here or somewhere else but I recently read about a tank that was fed pig blood on a fairly regular basis.

Dang it I can't remember where I read it. I know I was looking through a member's tank thread and that person had linked another tank that was their inspiration and in that other tank the owner fed it all sorts of stuff including the pig blood.

• Like 1

I don't remember if I read it here or somewhere else but I recently read about a tank that was fed pig blood on a fairly regular basis.

Dang it I can't remember where I read it. I know I was looking through a member's tank thread and that person had linked another tank that was their inspiration and in that other tank the owner fed it all sorts of stuff including the pig blood.

Gee .. interesting .. hope you can find the link back and post it here. I'll do a search as well and see whether anything comes up

Thanks

Albert

Yeah pig and cow blood but not added to food but straight into the tank. Like I said I only tried it the one time and my skimmer went nuts so I guess you have to turn the skimmer off before adding it.

• Like 1

I looked through a few pages of member's aquariums and didn't come across it. I'm doing all sorts of Google Fu trying to find it. I know it was a link to another forum, I've been hitting up several trying to use their search functions but a lot of them only allow members access to that feature.

• Like 1

I really wish I could find it, you guys would be impressed with the tank. It was a heavily stocked nano reef packed full of coral and macros, and I think a lot of NPS. The guy's feeding schedule was incredible. He probably fed that tank more in one day than most of us feed ours in a month.

I wish there was a way to see your recently viewed topics. It was only in the past couple days.

• Like 1