ReefCleaners.org

An addicted reefer chic's 40B w/ GHL Mitras & 2x30g display fuges

MeanGreenEyes

MeanGreenEyes
I've been into reefing for many years.... My wife hasn't touched any of my tanks once. She likes them but has zero interest in having anything to do with reefing. Doesn't bother me a bit :)

The upside to it is that they don't know what we pay for this stuff. lol I told everybody on my local thread that he will be told this was a $40 LED DEAL and if anybody snitched I'd break kneecaps/frags. lol He would be pi$$ed. You're lucky though, in that she doesn't despise them. Somebody was telling me about a woman that LEFT their boyfriend over reefing. I think that's just stupid. If you really loved someone you wouldn't leave them over a hobby and a healthy one at that.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The upside to it is that they don't know what we pay for this stuff. lol I told everybody on my local thread that he will be told this was a $40 LED DEAL and if anybody snitched I'd break kneecaps/frags. lol He would be pi$$ed. You're lucky though, in that she doesn't despise them. Somebody was telling me about a woman that LEFT their boyfriend over reefing. I think that's just stupid. If you really loved someone you wouldn't leave them over a hobby and a healthy one at that.

Oh no, she used to definitely give me a hard time about the $$$ I would spend. She's since given up and doesn't even ask how much things cost. Ironically, my tank is self sufficient for the most part now. If I need something I just snap off a few frags to trade at the lfs.

MeanGreenEyes
Oh no, she used to definitely give me a hard time about the $$$ I would spend. She's since given up and doesn't even ask how much things cost. Ironically, my tank is self sufficient for the most part now. If I need something I just snap off a few frags to trade at the lfs.

Hehehe...If these lights perform like I believe that they will...I will definitely have to try to work out a deal like that with my lfs.

Once I grow these frags large enough, I will be fragging them to throw some of the frags under my T5's and of course leave some under the LED's. There's a local amazing photographer that's interested in documenting the little experiment. We actually sat talking about them for a good 30 minutes yesterday and he said that he was able to play with these at Macna and was extremely impressed with them. With him coming over from the FW planted side, he also stands behind German made. So I believe this is going to be a mini project of epic proportion.

I also wasn't able to get the red milli, Ora red planet or tri-color valida...yet because the seller had an emergency and wasn't able to attend the swap. We've become friend's and I'm definitely going to get those frags from him as soon as it's a convenient time for him. It's probably better considering the amount of coral...mainly SPS that I added yesterday. Also snagged a beautiful strawberry shortcake for a great price from a friend. Going to try to take some pics of my new goodies.

MeanGreenEyes

**WOOT!** Hung my lights all by my dang self! Mr. Jerkface pulled the early sleep to get out of helping with my lights routine again! So, being the evil woman that I am, I got even by pulling out the drill at 4am and hung them myself. It scared the shizz out of him! lol I've never seen a man jump like that. bahahaha Jerk!

Gonna take pics tonight...doing a lot of prep work for my Thanksgiving throwdown tomorrow so don't have time now. These lights are amazing!

**backs away to go run Thanksgiving errands doing her best party dance**

Got a reefer buddy putting up a new tank this weekend with extra cured rock I'm gonna buy off of him and replace the whole left side of my DT. Clowns nem and their xenia forest are going into the top display fuge/gorg/nps tank. (I know...xenia=yuck but my baby's love frolicking in it) 2nd MP10 arrived yesterday too. Gotta hook that up tonight as well as my vortech battery backup and dosing pumps. :D

Non-reef related...my son was bragging to his teacher and friend's about our huge local frag swap that was this past Sunday! Awww...my baby reefer! Had to share. "His" pearlberry frag is looking amazing, as well as all of the other goodies I picked up! I really had a blast! :)

**WOOT!** Hung my lights all by my dang self! Mr. Jerkface pulled the early sleep to get out of helping with my lights routine again! So, being the evil woman that I am, I got even by pulling out the drill at 4am and hung them myself. It scared the shizz out of him! lol I've never seen a man jump like that. bahahaha Jerk!

Gonna take pics tonight...doing a lot of prep work for my Thanksgiving throwdown tomorrow so don't have time now. These lights are amazing!

**backs away to go run Thanksgiving errands doing her best party dance**

Awesome! That's great you got it hung on your own. You go girl!

Did you use the GHL supplied kit or did you go all out DIY? They are releasing a Rail Kit but we have no idea when right now.

Are you running any type of "controller" on your tank? If you decide to get one try out the GHL ProfiLux.... you'll be glad you did especially now that you've seen the build quality of the GHL Mitras.

Enjoy your "Best Party Dance" but don't go breaking things :)

MeanGreenEyes
Awesome! That's great you got it hung on your own. You go girl!

Did you use the GHL supplied kit or did you go all out DIY? They are releasing a Rail Kit but we have no idea when right now.

Are you running any type of "controller" on your tank? If you decide to get one try out the GHL ProfiLux.... you'll be glad you did especially now that you've seen the build quality of the GHL Mitras.

Enjoy your "Best Party Dance" but don't go breaking things :)

Still dancing. lol. Nothing broken, yet. I AM ABSOLUTELY IN LOVE with my Mitras! I hung it from the ceiling with the included kit and used drywall anchor "thingy's" that I had in my tool box and 3 inch screws...simplest thing in the world. I also love the fact that the hanging kit was included. The only reason it would be necessary to have a rail kit, IMHO, would be if you had multiple fixtures over a large tank...since I only have 1 over a 40B it'd be silly and unnecessary clutter. The spread is perfect! End to end there are zero dark spots in my tank and I'm running at 40% to start the acclimation process.

I can't wait to blow a few AI and D.I.Y. local LED buddy's out of the water, not to mention the MH & T5 holdouts. There is a lot of smack talk going on, all in fun of course. lol I don't mean that in the sense of rubbing the cost in their face...I feel like that is a total non-factor when you're looking for optimum performance. I just believe in my light 110% after the in-depth research that I did on it.

I'm running the RKL V3 for right now (which I HATE with emphasis), but my birthday is coming up in January and I will most definitely be getting myself an apex. Would love to go all out GHL on this, but that Profilux also comes with a hefty price tag. As a Mom of 3, I can't justify the price on the Profilux at the moment when the great reviews/quality/backing is there with the Apex...without as steep of a price. That will take some thinking/research/saving. Eventually maybe. I still have time to decide because the purchase hasn't been made yet.

MeanGreenEyes
Pics or it didnt happen....

:P

In tank related news...

I'm having...ugh...issues with the firmware update on the new light. 100% user error, I'm sure. I think the Thanksgiving chaos isn't allowing my brain to function at 100%. I need some sleep and peace and quiet. So still running T5's at the moment over the tank...under the LEDS. Lmao. Going to work on it today and do a full system scrub down, water change, vinegar bath for the pumps/skimmer, etc. Then do FTS, if I'm able to figure out this d@mn update. I've followed the directions to a "T." Going to head over to the GHL forum and try to figure out the issue.

Also, I'm building a d.i.y. continuous feeder for chilled foods since I plan to keep NPS in the top display fuge. The part that I'm waiting on will arrive in a couple of days. This shall be interesting. Won't spill details til it's completed, plans are still being worked out. lol Looking into magnetic stirrers that can function in a chilled environment as well. I've heard of a few malfunction, so not going to jump in head first on that purchase.

Working on gathering supplies for my phyto/pod culturing venture.

I'm also sick of the effin' cord mess that I have going on...grrrrr. Clueless on where to begin on organizing that shizz. :grumpy:

Current wishlist:

Full apex

BM triple doser

3rd mp10 (this will go on the top 30g macro fuge/nps/gorg tank)

I've also decided that I will be throwing in the towel on FW...those tanks have gotta go. I just don't have the interest in them anymore...at all.

I'm also sick of the effin' cord mess that I have going on...grrrrr. Clueless on where to begin on organizing that shizz. :grumpy:

I hear ya!!!!! Maybe someday everything will be wireless :)

MeanGreenEyes

So...I'm using this cute little mini-fridge as my cooling apparatus for my d.i.y. continuous feeder project:

IMAG0934.jpg

IMAG0935.jpg

I still have to find small lab grade magnetic stirrers to fit inside to keep foods mixed...haven't looked yet...

I'll be using this enternal pump that I was originally planning to use for 2-part dosing:

IMAG0924.jpg

Seen here:

http://reefdosingpumps.com/sentry.html

Scored mine refurbished for $50 v.s. the $350 it normally sells for.

This will all be mounted close to the tank so that the distance the food has to travel through the lines is VERY minimal. Since I will be programming to feed .4ml/hr the food won't be sitting in the lines long enough to clog. I have dual lines running on the enternal pump since oysterfeast can't be combined with phyto/rotifeast due to risk of spoiling.

Waiting on silicone to arrive in my BRS order on Friday, and have to pick up some drill bits to run the lines into the fridge. I'm so excited!!

Of course it will be connected on the RKL (eventually Apex/Profilux upgrade) as a backup safety measure should the pump try to overfeed.

Still working on the major re-scape...full system scrub down went down last weekend, as well as 2 separate 5g water changes. Not ready for pics with the new light but I have to say...I am VERY happy with the purchase. Also, went ahead and changed carbon/gfo and threw in a new bag of CPE. I swear I'm already seeing some new growth on the Aussie Yellow with pink tips

frag since the swap. Everything is still acclimating to the new light, running at 40%.

Also, trying to decide if I want to go with the Profilux controller and doser or Apex and Bubble Magus doser. I've been hearing a lot of crazy sh*t happening with the Bubble Magus doser, tanks crashing, etc. I'm thinking it might be better to save up for quality "toys" from the beginning. Any input from those already running Profilux on their systems would be greatly appreciated.

My little Nac3 "skimmer that could" lol:

IMAG0936.jpg

LOL, you need your own reefer DIY TV show. MP10 repair, retro Coke machine feeders............geez!

I hope you document this!!!!! Way cool. :)

MeanGreenEyes
I like that fridge!! I want one for my fish food, where did you get it?

It's the cutest, isn't it? B)

Got it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Koolatron-KWC-4-Coca...Can+Mini+Fridge

Except I paid only $30 something...they raised the price...ordered it 3 days ago and it was free two day shipping with my "Prime" account. I love Amazon! Always score deals with them, especially with the Prime. They had larger/different ones but the reviews were very poor.

LOL, you need your own reefer DIY TV show. MP10 repair, retro Coke machine feeders............geez!

I hope you document this!!!!! Way cool. :)

I started doing everything d.i.y. when I took one of my cars to get a oil change and a dumb b@stard stripped my oil pan! Do you know how expensive those are to replace? After that I bought ramps, tools, changed my own oil, spark plugs, filters...all the basic stuff...don't know everything about cars...but I grew up with a Grandpa that was obsessed with them...so I know basics. So yeah...all around tom boy here that hates dresses, but loves doing makeup hair, nails, shopping, girly stuff...and fixing EVERYTHING. I'm all about "if you want something done right...do it yourself!," b/c every time I've asked a man to do something it ends up worse than what it started! :huh:

MeanGreenEyes

Oh and I forgot...I got my Reefcleaners order last night...I must say I'm a very happy woman!

Got the 125g snail only "quick crew" and spread them within the tanks in my franken-system, red gracilaria, ulva lettuce and some tisbe pods (kicking myself for not ordering a second to culture in buckets.) I poured the pods into the chaeto in my bottom 30g macro fuge.

I had to purchase a second 300w heater for my franken system...1 wasn't cutting it...temp dropped to 75 effin' degrees a few days ago...scored a Eheim jager 300w on Big Al's for 19.99 and a new impeller for my koralia 750 to throw in the top macro/gorg/nps tank for $16.99 (not a score but I needed it until I get a 3rd mp10.) That order arrives today.

BRS order comes Friday. Got a new refractometer, test kits and some other stuff from the BRS doorbusters, but REALLY behaved myself with that order. I would've taken close to a grand worth of stuff if I could have...especially because I want to redo my whole system minus right side of my 40B with their Pukani rock. Baby steps for my system and budget though...lol.

You are on a roll! Love it.

That fridge is really neat, I might have to look at it in the store and make sure it fits my cold fishy foods. I'm looking for an itty bitty freezer for the frozen, if you see one anywhere LMK.

Amazon Prime is the best, I love it myself. Before I signed up for Prime I was not the happiest with Amazon.

MeanGreenEyes
You are on a roll! Love it.

That fridge is really neat, I might have to look at it in the store and make sure it fits my cold fishy foods. I'm looking for an itty bitty freezer for the frozen, if you see one anywhere LMK.

Amazon Prime is the best, I love it myself. Before I signed up for Prime I was not the happiest with Amazon.

Thank you! :wub:

It's only big enough to hold 6 soda cans..there are complaints from men on the reviews about the handle breaking but you know how they treat stuff...whereas we women take care of our stuff...so not concerned with that. lol There's of course no freezer space in it obviously, but I already have of course reg. fridge/freezer, plus a big deep freezer in my entryway. So not concerned about getting more freezer space. I'll check around but I don't know if I've seen any freezers that small.

With this little mini fridge, I went with it b/c of the sheer size and being that it doesn't have a regular compressor it doesn't put off the amount of heat that a regular mini fridge would, especially being that I have to have it very close to the tank for my plan to be viable. I will probably get some type of mini fridge thermometer and monitor temps while I await silicone to arrive and get a drill bit, etc. to complete the project.

I completely agree...I became an amazon addict...after Prime. :)

It's the cutest, isn't it? B)

Got it here:

http://www.amazon.com/Koolatron-KWC-4-Coca...Can+Mini+Fridge

Except I paid only $30 something...they raised the price...ordered it 3 days ago and it was free two day shipping with my "Prime" account. I love Amazon! Always score deals with them, especially with the Prime. They had larger/different ones but the reviews were very poor.

I started doing everything d.i.y. when I took one of my cars to get a oil change and a dumb b@stard stripped my oil pan! Do you know how expensive those are to replace? After that I bought ramps, tools, changed my own oil, spark plugs, filters...all the basic stuff...don't know everything about cars...but I grew up with a Grandpa that was obsessed with them...so I know basics. So yeah...all around tom boy here that hates dresses, but loves doing makeup hair, nails, shopping, girly stuff...and fixing EVERYTHING. I'm all about "if you want something done right...do it yourself!," b/c every time I've asked a man to do something it ends up worse than what it started! :huh:

I love women like that! My wife is very handy as well, she does all the electrical work, which I will not touch.

She's probably like you and believes that men are only good for one thing, and they don't even do that very well.......

MeanGreenEyes
I love women like that! My wife is very handy as well, she does all the electrical work, which I will not touch.

She's probably like you and believes that men are only good for one thing, and they don't even do that very well.......

She sounds like a woman I would be friend's with...if only you guys lived closer. lol Yeah...it's very intimidating to men...that is for sure. It's definitely insulting to my boyfriend at times, but he is my king...my knight in shining armor in other ways after an effed up marriage...so I couldn't ask for a better man. So I play dumb at times so he can rescue me and feel important. :P

To put it nicely...I'm a lucky woman in that department as well...I have a very good man! A rare one! As far as other men in the world and being good for anything...well...you already know every woman's feeling on that! Smart man! lol

I actually want to install a gfci outlet for my tank and literally my super in my building isn't worth two sh*ts. I recently had to complain to my property manager the about the "repairs" he's been making to my apartment. The paint in my full bathroom actually bubbles and peels b/c the idiots water down the paint...so he took a drywall knife and chipped it all off and took chunks out of the drywall...so my bathroom looks like complete sh*t. I won't even have guests over b/c of the stuff he's done, until it's all repaired. Then when he went to go fix a door frame that was literally falling off the wall he took an effin' crowbar to it to pry it off and destroyed my wall and peeled the paper back on the drywall. I'm making them fix it. I would but I'm not paying for things he's destroyed in my apartment. It pisses me off so bad b/c I know I could have done it right myself. Don't get me wrong...he's a nice guy and I'm not one to complain...but he's destroying my apartment and enough is enough.

MeanGreenEyes

Omg...drool...these are on my NPS wishlist once I'm ready...consider it documented. lol

West African Red Polyp Pink Sea Fan

112912-627.jpg

Aussie Spider Sponge

112712-672a.jpg

MeanGreenEyes
Those look beautiful!

Thanks Kat! And OMG congrats on TOTM! :)

Hey Green Eyes! I wasn't sure which forum you'd look in first so I posted in both, check this out:

http://glassbox-design.com/2010/azoox-nps-...inuous-feeding/

Hey again...lol...already saw it and gave a detailed response on the other one...I guess we're playing forum tag now. lol So check the other one. haha

Thanks Kat! And OMG congrats on TOTM! :)

Hey again...lol...already saw it and gave a detailed response on the other one...I guess we're playing forum tag now. lol So check the other one. haha

Yep, left a msg on the other one........btw, you'd like my wife. :)

Archived