Pod Your Reef

An addicted reefer chic's 40B w/ GHL Mitras & 2x30g display fuges

MeanGreenEyes

MeanGreenEyes
Kitty in the tank is adorable, what a fun picture. Your puppy is a cutie too.

@Longpig: did you say you would cook? We might have to make an exception and allow some testosterone.

fingerscrossed

Thank you! I smile every time I see that pic of Bigg's. Love them.

I have even stopped dosing the ferts on my fw pico! I'm not seeing any change in growth or color since I stopped, either. If things start looking bad I'll start it up again, but so far so good. It's an incredibly healthy ecosystem. I haven't lost a critter yet...except for a nerite that crawled out without me knowing and a few shrimp have jumped :lol: I hate finding them dried up on the outside of the tank. That's with having a lid too!!!!!

Sounds like a big accomplishment over the weekend :happydance:

Thank goodness for reefing friends :)

Tried to stop dosing on the 55g fw b/c I was working/going to school f/t and just didn't have the time and was getting bad results...so I started up again a few weeks ago. However, no dosing/co2 on the 20g and amazing growth...no deaths...pellia/mosses,etc. grow out of control...lol.

Definitely did manage to get a lot done this weekend. Very happy about that! Yes, good reefer friend's are the best!

Must be a relief that it's drilled. Coming along exciting.

It sure enough is... :)

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MeanGreenEyes

Ok...it wasn't actually special treatment, but my friends at Coral Theory helped with the planning and build of the new tank. All joking aside they really came through and kept me encouraged when I was literally ready to throw in the towel with this build after 3 cracked tanks. So for everything I'm seriously and genuinely grateful!

MeanGreenEyes

Tank passed the leak test...drained out tap water before work this morning. Was going to try to finish the plumbing but I am 2 pvc elbows & a ball/gate valve short on plumbing the return line...hopefully I'll have some time at some point over the next few days in order to do what I need to do to finish it... :unsure:-_-

• 2 weeks later...
Kitty in the tank is adorable, what a fun picture. Your puppy is a cutie too.

@Longpig: did you say you would cook? We might have to make an exception and allow some testosterone.

fingerscrossed

Let me know the time and place!

• 3 weeks later...
MeanGreenEyes

Haven't updated in forever...still a work in progress...have been insanely busy with work and haven't had free time for my tank...not at all happy with the rock or the T5's...coral is all pastel now. :( Wasn't even going to post until I was happy w/ the tank. I hate the rock wall look. Lost a lot of stuff due to crazy work schedule...lack of time...consolidated the 5.5g's into this this tank...I know it takes time...sorry...just really down about it... :frown:

DSCF1328.jpg

DSCF1325.jpg

DSCF1330.jpg

DSCF1329.jpg

DSCF1309.jpg

DSCF1308.jpg

DSCF1297.jpg

Even my anemone is lighter now...this was the before and 6 months into a 5.5g tank which is supposedly not viable for a nem to be in long term...maybe the switch from led's to t5? This is making me want to put my gu10's over this tank...

DSCF1215.jpg

MeanGreenEyes
Updates?

Sorry I'm just now getting to it...I just remembered that I got a text from you and was in the middle of something at work and couldn't respond...and forgot about it by the time that I got off of work and just now realized it when I saw your reply...pm'ing you now with my email...

I wonder why I'm still not receiving notifications of replies...even though I have the little box checked off for it...

When will there ever be enough time for the tank. I'm lucky I get an hour at night after the kids are sleeping and the chores are done.

MeanGreenEyes
When will there ever be enough time for the tank. I'm lucky I get an hour at night after the kids are sleeping and the chores are done.

Trust me...I feel your pain...single mom of three here...which is why my tank is like 2 feet from my bed so that I can enjoy it and examine it when/until I collapse/pass out. My babies just left Friday to spend a month with their father. :( Missing them like crazy and can't sleep for the life of me and have to be up at 7am for a long work day. :( How's your tank? I haven't had time to drop in on threads I follow...haven't even been online. I have so much catching up to do and I miss talking to everyone...

Oh gosh. I give you credit. I don't know how single parents do it. We are getting worked with two. We don't have 9-5p jobs which makes it harder. my 40b is wet. I'm stoked. Finally. Seemed like forever. Definitely took tired to new levels. Tired of being tired. It's getting better. Sson is kinda sleeping thought the night. Good grief. Get some sleep. Pretty late where you are.

Thanks for your PM. Enjoy a little free time with the children away. I help my brother with his 2 children, they moved in with me earlier this year, 7 and 4 and I'm a total mom replacement. Lol. Every chance I get I run off to the gym or work on my tank. :rolleyes:

\Honestly...will never set up another tank without a sump/fuge...LOVE IT...especially due to the fact that it eliminates the need to have all the equipment in the display, adds extra water volume for stability and I love the idea of a display fuge. You should do a d.i.y. acrylic sump so that you can have the acrylic cut to spec. so that it will fit in your stand. T&T Plastic Land is in Chinatown (I think) and has great reviews from what I've heard. D.I.Y. would save you a crazy amount of money that could go toward your MP10. Knock out two birds with one stone! Lol. I'm all for d.i.y. Besides...we're kick ass reefer chicks...we can do anything we set our minds to...lmao. I love my mp10 on my 5.5g and debating on buying two more for the 40 and keeping the 5.5g up or consolidating the 5.5g into the 40...then I would only need 1 more mp10. I love my 5.5g though...so Idk. The clowns and nem are definitely going into the 40. I love having the 5.5 on my nightstand. Too many decisions. Ugh. You'll love an mp10...get it! lol

My sump went online 2 weeks ago

omgomgomg

Here's the link to pictures

DSCF1329.jpg

This rock looks amazing! Is that two pieces you glued together or just one piece? LOVE it! I think it all looks nice! Looks like you have a lot of blue in the spectrum. Now keep in mind, I'm no lighting expert...but, maybe experiment with different bulb colors? I had two blue plus bulbs in my light fixture. I took one out and replaced it with a, if I remember right, 10k bulb. It made a world of difference. I guess I'm just not a fan of a real blue look. Regardless...your tank looks fantastic...not surprising :happy:

MeanGreenEyes
Thanks for your PM. Enjoy a little free time with the children away. I help my brother with his 2 children, they moved in with me earlier this year, 7 and 4 and I'm a total mom replacement. Lol. Every chance I get I run off to the gym or work on my tank. :rolleyes:

My sump went online 2 weeks ago

omgomgomg

Here's the link to pictures

It's driving me crazy being without them b/c I spend my time worrying if they're ok. :( I'm a mom through and through...I don't want to be without my kid's...it's just that it would be nice to be able to have me time every once and a while.

Your tank/sump look great...so happy for you that you finally got it set up and running! :happydance:

This rock looks amazing! Is that two pieces you glued together or just one piece? LOVE it! I think it all looks nice! Looks like you have a lot of blue in the spectrum. Now keep in mind, I'm no lighting expert...but, maybe experiment with different bulb colors? I had two blue plus bulbs in my light fixture. I took one out and replaced it with a, if I remember right, 10k bulb. It made a world of difference. I guess I'm just not a fan of a real blue look. Regardless...your tank looks fantastic...not surprising :happy:

Hi Gena! Have to catch up on your threads as well...hope the tanks are still doing great. It's one solid piece that I found in a store...$60...but I had to have it...I bought it as a clam display. I think that I'm going to try to play with the scape...it's just bugging me...and a friend said it looks like I just threw rock in the tank. About the bulb combo that I'm using it's funny b/c the reason that I went with it is b/c it's an extremely popular bulb combo and I haven't seen any complaints about it. When I look at the tank in person though...it doesn't look overly blue...it looks overly white. I don't honestly want to buy anymore T5's...I think I'm going to switch back to my ghetto GU10's. Less heat, electric and great color in my corals...

MeanGreenEyes

Booster pump arrived last night and it is f'n AMAZING! I'm in love...now @ 80psi and I replaced all cartidges & di resin...except for the ro membrane...of course. Making water for water change on Saturday...lame update...but I'm excited about it...lol :happydance:

It's driving me crazy being without them b/c I spend my time worrying if they're ok. :( I'm a mom through and through...I don't want to be without my kid's...it's just that it would be nice to be able to have me time every once and a while.

Your tank/sump look great...so happy for you that you finally got it set up and running! :happydance:

Thanks! We should do a Magic Mike night. Because it's not hot enough, we need to turn it up a little. B)

MeanGreenEyes
Thanks! We should do a Magic Mike night. Because it's not hot enough, we need to turn it up a little. B)

I'm down! Great idea...lol

Hi Gena! Have to catch up on your threads as well...hope the tanks are still doing great. It's one solid piece that I found in a store...$60...but I had to have it...I bought it as a clam display. I think that I'm going to try to play with the scape...it's just bugging me...and a friend said it looks like I just threw rock in the tank. About the bulb combo that I'm using it's funny b/c the reason that I went with it is b/c it's an extremely popular bulb combo and I haven't seen any complaints about it. When I look at the tank in person though...it doesn't look overly blue...it looks overly white. I don't honestly want to buy anymore T5's...I think I'm going to switch back to my ghetto GU10's. Less heat, electric and great color in my corals...

My stuff is all doing great. I'm recycling my 28g tank though. I took out all the dry rock and added live uncured from the Florida Keys. It's amazing :) I think your $60 rock was worth every penny. It's gorgeous!!!!

It's definitely not cheap to play around with bulbs. I would do the same as you if I wasn't happy with the T5 lighting.

MeanGreenEyes
My stuff is all doing great. I'm recycling my 28g tank though. I took out all the dry rock and added live uncured from the Florida Keys. It's amazing :) I think your $60 rock was worth every penny. It's gorgeous!!!!

It's definitely not cheap to play around with bulbs. I would do the same as you if I wasn't happy with the T5 lighting.

Glad to hear...after I finish spring cleaning and reorganize my apartment and do my weekly tank maintenance...I will sit down and catch up on everyone's threads. I'm sure you got all kinds of goodies on the uncured rock. Thank you, it was just thrown in a tank w/ fish that were for sale...I'm surprised they actually let me have it...but I knew I had to. lol.

Now...I'm just debating on riding out the life of these bulbs since I put $120 into them...and it will give me time to build a proper fixture to mount the leds in...we'll see I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
MeanGreenEyes

Well quite the update...had to redo the plumbing on the drain line b/c there was a leak @ the elbow where the pvc meets the bulkhead...apparently over priming (sp?) softened the pipe too much and caused it to shrink from what I'm being told and didn't form a good joint...having to disconnect the sump...shutting down the return pump to redo plumbing stressed my fish and noticed about 5 specks of ick on my male clown...so all fish went into a 30 minute dip and then into a quarantine tank for 12 weeks...temp @ 82 with meds and salinity dropped to 1.016 and will be gradually raised back to 1.026 over the 12 weeks...came home from work to find that my anemone split and the new one moved about 3" to the top/back of the rock that my old one has been on since I bought it in Jan...bought another elbow and bulkhead to redo the plumbing...to exhausted to redo it tonight so it will have to wait til after work tomorrow...have circulation in the sump and of course powerheads running in the DT...only happy news I have is that I finally got some dragons breath macro (some in DT and I put some in both picos and threw a few pieces of corals I fragged in the picos...have an adorable little green and purple mini maxi for the sexy shrimp pico...and that's about it. :(

Well quite the update...had to redo the plumbing on the drain line b/c there was a leak @ the elbow where the pvc meets the bulkhead...apparently over priming (sp?) softened the pipe too much and caused it to shrink from what I'm being told and didn't form a good joint...having to disconnect the sump...shutting down the return pump to redo plumbing stressed my fish and noticed about 5 specks of ick on my male clown...so all fish went into a 30 minute dip and then into a quarantine tank for 12 weeks...temp @ 82 with meds and salinity dropped to 1.016 and will be gradually raised back to 1.026 over the 12 weeks...came home from work to find that my anemone split and the new one moved about 3" to the top/back of the rock that my old one has been on since I bought it in Jan...bought another elbow and bulkhead to redo the plumbing...to exhausted to redo it tonight so it will have to wait til after work tomorrow...have circulation in the sump and of course powerheads running in the DT...only happy news I have is that I finally got some dragons breath macro (some in DT and I put some in both picos and threw a few pieces of corals I fragged in the picos...have an adorable little green and purple mini maxi for the sexy shrimp pico...and that's about it. :(

:o

Sounds like you got it all under control though. So much for "relaxing" while the kiddos are away (when not worrying about them being away :lol: That would be me. I'm a worry wart!!!!!). Dragons breath is a great macro. I need to get more. Mine came loose and floated somewhere with the current. I think I found it all faded and dead. I'm going to get more though. Your mini maxi sounds cute :)

MeanGreenEyes
:o

Sounds like you got it all under control though. So much for "relaxing" while the kiddos are away (when not worrying about them being away :lol: That would be me. I'm a worry wart!!!!!). Dragons breath is a great macro. I need to get more. Mine came loose and floated somewhere with the current. I think I found it all faded and dead. I'm going to get more though. Your mini maxi sounds cute :)

All the fish are doing great in QT...the male clown no longer has any visible traces of ich...but I'm staying on course with the full QT period just to be sure. I'm missing my babies like crazy...they will be home Wed. morning. It's been so hard being without them...I'm dying for them to come home.

Hey Miss Mean Green Eyes, how are you doing? Been thinking about you.

Hey Kat...not that great...things are getting worse instead of better...

MeanGreenEyes
I'm sorry to hear that, I'm keeping my eyes open and hoping things turn around. Hang in there.

I just got some insane news...going to text you... :(

Archived