SaltCritters.com

An addicted reefer chic's 40B w/ GHL Mitras & 2x30g display fuges

MeanGreenEyes

@Weetabix7...I forgot to add that in my 15 years in the hobby period I've found that German made equipment (i.e. eheim) has always been insanely dependable...which was another selling point.

Hmm, something to keep in mind. I've had good luck w/Tunze.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You're going to LOVE the new GHL Mitras.... I wish I could get one over one of my tanks but they are both already LED (this makes the upgrade much less cost effective) and both of my tanks are "covered".

The Mitras is currrently re-setting the bar on LED Fixtures to say the least. It's not cheap but then again nothing from GHL is cheap... in price, performance, or durability.

MGE I've seen a couple of people comment on the USB connection saying that like the Mitras layout over the RADION layout considerably. I'm anxious to see your review of the unit.

There is a huge MITRAS "users tanks" pics over at the sanctuary which shows them in action.

We're going to need Before and After pics for sure :)

MeanGreenEyes
You're going to LOVE the new GHL Mitras.... I wish I could get one over one of my tanks but they are both already LED (this makes the upgrade much less cost effective) and both of my tanks are "covered".

The Mitras is currrently re-setting the bar on LED Fixtures to say the least. It's not cheap but then again nothing from GHL is cheap... in price, performance, or durability.

MGE I've seen a couple of people comment on the USB connection saying that like the Mitras layout over the RADION layout considerably. I'm anxious to see your review of the unit.

There is a huge MITRAS "users tanks" pics over at the sanctuary which shows them in action.

We're going to need Before and After pics for sure :)

You have no idea how excited I am. My only issue is that I paid two days ago, and was told they would ship and email me within 24 hours with the tracking number as soon as the payment cleared. Payment cleared yesterday according to paypal and haven't heard from them yet. I sent an email this morning and haven't heard anything back. Not complaining...just beyond anxious. lol

Please give me a link to this thread if you find it...would love to see/participate in it.

I'm definitely going to need a real photographer to help me out with that though...lol. I really need a real camera and to go take a photography class or something. It's just frustrating to me that all of my pictures come out blue. I also find it insane that I've been able to take better pictures with my EVO 4G cell phone than I've been able to get with my 10mp fujifilm camera.

Edit:

Oh and about your lighting over your tanks they're releasing a version very soon that will be able to be mounted inside of a canopy. Sell the lighting that you have and upgrade. I'm not rich by a long shot. I'm saving at the moment for a controller upgrade, was going to go full blown apex...but I may just save my pennies and go GHL/Profilux all the way. About the price tag, that's what I was saying...we sometimes worry so much about saving a dollar when it comes to this hobby that sometimes we settle with things that won't give the long term results we're looking for. So I'm all for saving the pennies, until I can get what I really want and do it right the first time.

MeanGreenEyes
I saw the 5g, skipped over the whole thread to say:

Awesome. Best/most stocked tank I have ever seen.

Awww...thank you so much! I can't wait until my 40B reaches that point...but cleaner. Was trying to sell my T5 fixture before the swap this weekend to buy a 2nd mp10...but nobody's biting. So I might just keep it and throw it on the macro fuge and do a little comparison of the same species/same size frag of SPS of a few different kinds of SPS to compare how they grow over several months. Especially since macro's are out of season and with the weather fluctuations I don't want to risk shipping. Nobody has anything locally that I don't already have. So the 30 isn't sitting half nekkid until it's stocked with macro...lol.

Your Crocea looks good. try to straighten it up a bit. Maybe put a little rock near it to lean on. Dont go crazy trying to feed it. Feeding clams is very under rated. The only reason I even feed mine is that I have alot of clams in a single system, and lots of other filter feeders, gorgonians, nps etc. If I just had one or even two clams in my tank I would not feed them as much. Remember, whatever you dump in your tank , your clam will only consumee about 1% of. I really believe the key is maintaining low nitrates. Not ZERO though. Try to keep NO3 @ about 1 - 2 ppm and your clams will get all the nitrogen they need. But like me, if you have other filter feeders in there, feed feed feed. I actually feed my guys all day ( and night!) long, every chance I get, but thats for the nps and the clams will eat too. I Havnt forgot about the gorgonian pics I promised you, I had a new one arrive yesterday and was waiting for it to come around, so very soon, I promise.

We will be at the swap sunday around 12. Looking forward to meeting you :)

I have NO idea where or how I'm going to fit the 15 or so frags I'm getting at the swap.

KAT NEEDS A BIGGER TANK!!!!!

@Weetabix7...I forgot to add that in my 15 years in the hobby period I've found that German made equipment (i.e. eheim) has always been insanely dependable...which was another selling point.

Our hobby began in Germany, and so did the originating of most of our filters and theories. Dupla pretty much started it all and Albert Theil brough it to America - for the most part.

Ive found all things German to be TOUGH!!! My X wife was German and she would kick my but. Dependability is a different issue with her though. LOL.

MeanGreenEyes
I have NO idea where or how I'm going to fit the 15 or so frags I'm getting at the swap.

Kat...I have several tanks you can place them in... **insert evilest of grins here** Bahahaha. And omg...I have either bought or traded so much sh*t it's insane and I shouldn't be doing it. Lol.

So far I have:

Rastas

Ora red planet

Red milli

mangroves

your red titan

tri color validia

possibly 2nd mp10 (scratch that...he responded...somebody didn't step up in time...it's mine! :naughtydance::owned::haha:omgomgomg )

new refractometer (mine dropped and broke )

possibly some gorg's, fan's, whips (deal pending)

Can't remember the rest...but there is more...

Kat,

I'm going to need my effin' wallet confiscated/paypal password blocked and internet access taken completely and FML...there is still vendors to visit once I get there...this is not going to end well...NOT AT ALL! Plus I still want BRS pukani rock for display fuges, need GFO, new test kits and something else but cant remember. To make it worse since I volunteered for setup...I'll be there at 8 and want to stay for the raffle. If I win the generator...I want to donate it to Awi since her tank was a total loss and I want to support a fellow lady reefer to get back on her feet. I also told her that she can have frags of whatever she wants free of charge.

I have my big sam's club soft cooler bag, plus a cute pink polka dot cooler bag, sweats, and sneakers ready for this marathon event.

I'm leaving the boyfriend home and bringing a reefer buddy so my spending habits are "babe...look what I got free/$5-$10/traded for... B)

Your Crocea looks good. try to straighten it up a bit. Maybe put a little rock near it to lean on. Dont go crazy trying to feed it. Feeding clams is very under rated. The only reason I even feed mine is that I have alot of clams in a single system, and lots of other filter feeders, gorgonians, nps etc. If I just had one or even two clams in my tank I would not feed them as much. Remember, whatever you dump in your tank , your clam will only consumee about 1% of. I really believe the key is maintaining low nitrates. Not ZERO though. Try to keep NO3 @ about 1 - 2 ppm and your clams will get all the nitrogen they need. But like me, if you have other filter feeders in there, feed feed feed. I actually feed my guys all day ( and night!) long, every chance I get, but thats for the nps and the clams will eat too. I Havnt forgot about the gorgonian pics I promised you, I had a new one arrive yesterday and was waiting for it to come around, so very soon, I promise.

We will be at the swap sunday around 12. Looking forward to meeting you :)

KAT NEEDS A BIGGER TANK!!!!!

D@mn it! :angry: It was sold to me as a derasa! :angry: I stood it up back toward the rock in the center. I don't spot feed the clams, I've just always fed the tank itself. My little maxima moved to the sand last night for some reason so I moved it next to my "Crocea" and placed a piece of flat rock rubble under it. I keep my trates low. I just extended the length between my water changes since it's right before the swap...had water mixed for water change for after everything got fragged. Can't wait to see the gorgs...I love them. Was just offered one from a reefer that lost his SPS b/c of Sandy since I donated frags of 2 different pink birds, ora green bird, green acro, purple digi and green digi frags to him to help him rebuild.

I'm really excited to meet everybody Sunday. Since people tried to take advantage and lie to get free stuff on that thread I started right after the storm to reach out to people...I've just been reaching out to locals that I know were affected personally. Not gonna let a few a$$hats ruin it for all.

KAT DOES NEED A BIGGER TANK...I'VE BEEN SECRETLY LAUGHING AT HER FROM THE BEGINNING WAITING TO SEE HOW LONG IT'S GOING TO TAKE HER TO UPGRADE... :P I MEAN SHE EVEN SUMPED A EFFIN' MAX...IT'S TIME MISS LADY. BAHAHAHA Side note...this is how my frankentank came about with the two 30's plumbed in.

Our hobby began in Germany, and so did the originating of most of our filters and theories. Dupla pretty much started it all and Albert Theil brough it to America - for the most part.

Ive found all things German to be TOUGH!!! My X wife was German and she would kick my but. Dependability is a different issue with her though. LOL.

My point exactly, on everything, except of course you having your a$$ handed to you by a "German" WOMAN. Rotflmao

**Also, my light was shipped USPS priority this morning, sorry but with the effin' price tag on these and a $40 shipping fee...they shoulda been shipped overnight or 2nd day. The dealer got really pissy with me b/c I had to email twice two days later to find out what was going on with shipping when I was told it'd be shipped next day. I am not at all happy with this dealer, but that has nothing to do with GHL...all I have to say is he better hope for his sake my lights arrive in one piece or he will find the true meaning of cement boots. Nuff said.

MeanGreenEyes
Stop laughing at me both of you! As I mentioned to you miss green, it's called the art of loading the dishwasher. It is an art. :slap:

Lmao...I wouldn't know about loading the dishwasher...that's my kids' job since I do so much cooking. lol :naughtydance: So, tell me about the new tank build plans Ms. Kat. Bahahaha :P

MeanGreenEyes
Sounds like a fun day in store for you!!!!!

Congrats on the new lighting too :)

Hi Gena! This swap is gonna be epic...I just have a feeling. Plus, several great friends are showing up to this one. I'm blaming my spending habits on Kat and her dishwashing skills or lack there of.

Thank you!! :) Another local reefer buddy just offered to bring by a par meter and help with setup too! Gonna have to cook epic amounts of good food and tell everybody to bring alcohol for this one! I'm not a drinker....but this calls for one. :naughtydance:

Hi Gena! This swap is gonna be epic...I just have a feeling. Plus, several great friends are showing up to this one. I'm blaming my spending habits on Kat and her dishwashing skills or lack there of.

Thank you!! :) Another local reefer buddy just offered to bring by a par meter and help with setup too! Gonna have to cook epic amounts of good food and tell everybody to bring alcohol for this one! I'm not a drinker....but this calls for one. :naughtydance:

A reefing party. Sounds like the best kind. Let me specify....saltwater reefing party :lol:

I've never been to a swap. One of these days I'll get myself to one. Just to see what they are like!!!!!

MeanGreenEyes

Forgot to add...I'm trying to unload my tang on a friend with a large tank...he doesn't know it yet though. ;)

Need an idea for some new feechez for my tank. Ideas? Pair of green mandarins is non-negotiable on the stocking plans...so new acquisitions must be compatible.

Already have:

YWG & candy cane pistol

algae blenny

red scooter blenny

2 Ocellaris clowns

MeanGreenEyes
A reefing party. Sounds like the best kind. Let me specify....saltwater reefing party :lol:

I've never been to a swap. One of these days I'll get myself to one. Just to see what they are like!!!!!

If they're anything like ours...you'll love it! Your pockets will not! Leave the credit cards at home and bring only what you wanna spend and stick to it. I sold a ton of frags, bought a ton of frags and still managed to have enough left that I was able to snag a mp10 for $100 out of pocket. I have to save up for the "MeanGreen Goes to Macna '13" fund.

Sitting here debating on pulling the plug on these for $100

Aussie Yellow with pink tips

Bali Green Slimer

Tyree Pink Lemonade

ORA PearlBerry

Garf Purple Bonsai

Whaddya think?

**EDIT** Went ahead and bought them...a friend that was supposed to be a voice of reason said get em...

MeanGreenEyes

I am REALLY beyond disappointed in the dealer that I ordered my Mitras fixture from. It was the last one on the shelf that was "available for immediate shipping," as there is a 4-6 week wait period for another shipment from Germany. I paid for the fixture a full 5 days ago...a shipping label wasn't even created until yesterday but it still hasn't even been shipped. Not blaming GHL though because they have nothing to do with this. Not to mention the fact that this clown was beyond rude when he called me after I had to email him a second time to even get a response about the delay. Which is when I received a phone call that made me want to reach through the phone and smack this fool. For the $40 I was charged for shipping, this fixture should have been overnighted...PERIOD. I have no patience for ignorance and at this point...this is ignorant. If it wasn't for the fact that I wanted this light so bad, I'd cancel the order and spend my money elsewhere.

MeanGreenEyes
Sorry about the light situation. That really stinks!

P.S....I would have said "get em" too ;)

Thank you...he better hope it's rectified fast or a not so nice/polite side is going to come out of me. I'm beyond livid, mainly because I was told that it'd be shipped immediately the morning after payment. I understand vendor's/dealer's are busy, deal with a lot of orders and I'm not the only person being taken care of, but it's bad for business when you don't stick to your word and treat paying customer's so rudely.

Preordered for the swap (off the top of my head):

Red Milli

Ora Red Planet

Ora Tri-Color Valida

Bali Green Slimer

Tyree Pink Lemonade

ORA Pearlberry

Garf Purple Bonsai

Purple Polyped birdsnest

Tubbs Yellow Birdsnest

**Setosa** just aquired Woot!!

Also got:

6 Red Mangroves

Red Titan Macro Algae

4 polyps of Rasta's

Oysterfeast

Purple lephastrea

Some gorgeous gorgs/fans

Also, got a second mp10...

There's more can't remember...still want a frag of setosa, a new maxima clam and want starter cultures of phyto and tisbe pods, display macros, a female green mandarin, etc.

Preordered for the swap (off the top of my head):

Red Milli

Ora Red Planet

Ora Tri-Color Valida

Bali Green Slimer

Tyree Pink Lemonade

ORA Pearlberry

Garf Purple Bonsai

Purple Polyped birdsnest

Tubbs Yellow Birdsnest

Someone's been bit by the SPS bug .. :happy:

Why are you ditching the tang? It should do fine in your 40. I have two tangs in mine, have had them in the tank for almost two years. Along with 10 other fish.

MeanGreenEyes
Someone's been bit by the SPS bug .. :happy:

Hehehehe... omgomgomg:naughtydance::ninja: I'm just upset my favorite lfs/vendor won't be there b/c they're in the middle of a move. :(:tears:

Why are you ditching the tang? It should do fine in your 40. I have two tangs in mine, have had them in the tank for almost two years. Along with 10 other fish.

Well because I know that once he's full grown that he won't be happy long term in my tank, he won't have enough room to swim and I've become sooooo attached to him that I don't want him to be unhappy. When I climb in bed at night he swims to that side of the tank to beg for food. He's got a personality like a little puppy. I mean...I know, we keep fish/coral in a glass box that no matter how large can never fully replicate their natural habitats. The tang police probably love you to death...lol. Then of course there was someone on another forum that called everyone on my thread a hypocrite for not saying a thing to me about my tang. I love this hobby, and I SPOIL that tang and would never recommend for a noob to try a tang in their setups and even though he doesn't have optimal swimming space he does have the benefit of a total of about 130g of water volume to cope with the extra feeding required for their care.

Tank thread on said setup? lol

MeanGreenEyes

OMG!!! A reefer that I bought 5 of the SPS frags off of just messaged me offering me that setosa frag that I was looking for as a freebie b/c he said he had just checked out my tank thread for the first time and that I have a very cool tank! OMG!!! omgomgomg That just definitely brightened my mood after the light issue.

MeanGreenEyes

Sorry to go off topic, but I can't let this day 11/17 pass without wishing my doggy a happy 6th birthday...he's more than a pet...he's family and stole my heart from day 1. Happy birthday Big Boy, mommy loves you!

Then:

11 weeks

34446_1512116039904_502327_n.jpg

34446_1512117159932_5937354_n1.jpg

Big boy and his little brother and bestfriend Mr. Bigglesworth:

60557_1621646218090_2078985_n.jpg

Now:

26143_1377344470699_4313326_n1.jpg

Sorry tohear about the lights :(

Sounds like you are going to need a moving van to haul back all those corals!!! :)

Oh and very cute mamals you got there, canine, feline and a primate!!

Archived