Innovative Marine Aquariums

An addicted reefer chic's 40B w/ GHL Mitras & 2x30g display fuges

MeanGreenEyes

Stressed doesn't even begin to describe it. Since the 40B that I had cracked about an inch from the bulkhead the first time that I plugged the return pump in I had to basically start over. Ordered a new deep blue 40B, putting in a order to have the pieces of acrylic cut to make an overflow box and will be drilling this tank from the bottom and the overflow placed in the center of the back wall. Have to redo the plumbing too. A couple friend's are gonna be helping me with it this weekend b/c I only have Sat./Sun. to complete everything. Gotta have it up and running by Sunday night. I put water, live rock and everything into a spare standard 30g and am running an Aquaclear on the tank. Sand in a 5g bucked and a powerhead in the sump to keep water circulation in the meantime. So it looks like I'll be starting the cycle all over again... :tears::(

How are your tanks doing? Were you ever able to add your sump?

Aww, well I hope the friends come through. My sump is on my mind but not yet ordered. Can't help feeling I need an MP10 first.

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MeanGreenEyes
Ugh. What a bummer. That's never fun. Good luck.

Mind you that this will be the 4th 40B in trying to get this build up and running...the first 2 cracked during delivery to my house...3rd cracked at the bulkhead...I've been sitting on this build since January...fml

Aww, well I hope the friends come through. My sump is on my mind but not yet ordered. Can't help feeling I need an MP10 first.

Honestly...will never set up another tank without a sump/fuge...LOVE IT...especially due to the fact that it eliminates the need to have all the equipment in the display, adds extra water volume for stability and I love the idea of a display fuge. You should do a d.i.y. acrylic sump so that you can have the acrylic cut to spec. so that it will fit in your stand. T&T Plastic Land is in Chinatown (I think) and has great reviews from what I've heard. D.I.Y. would save you a crazy amount of money that could go toward your MP10. Knock out two birds with one stone! Lol. I'm all for d.i.y. Besides...we're kick ass reefer chicks...we can do anything we set our minds to...lmao. I love my mp10 on my 5.5g and debating on buying two more for the 40 and keeping the 5.5g up or consolidating the 5.5g into the 40...then I would only need 1 more mp10. I love my 5.5g though...so Idk. The clowns and nem are definitely going into the 40. I love having the 5.5 on my nightstand. Too many decisions. Ugh. You'll love an mp10...get it! lol

Yes I'm on the prowl for the MP10 already. As for the sump I have a quote for a sump for $150, but there is also someone that will be selling a Life reef sump that fits my cabinet for $250 in August. The LifeReef sump new costs $800 so I'm very tempted.

MeanGreenEyes
Yes I'm on the prowl for the MP10 already. As for the sump I have a quote for a sump for $150, but there is also someone that will be selling a Life reef sump that fits my cabinet for $250 in August. The LifeReef sump new costs $800 so I'm very tempted.

Hmmm...I mean we're already halfway through June...I'd wait for the LifeReef as long as it'd be in immaculate condition after a vinegar bath. If I see any steals on an MP10 listed anywhere I'll text/PM you the link. You looking for new or used?

Thank you...they are my form of stress relief...probably why I have so many...lol :)

I have 4 running right now :lol: Soon to be 3 though. They are an awesome stress reliever when all is running smoothly :)

Stressed doesn't even begin to describe it. Since the 40B that I had cracked about an inch from the bulkhead the first time that I plugged the return pump in I had to basically start over. Ordered a new deep blue 40B, putting in a order to have the pieces of acrylic cut to make an overflow box and will be drilling this tank from the bottom and the overflow placed in the center of the back wall. Have to redo the plumbing too. A couple friend's are gonna be helping me with it this weekend b/c I only have Sat./Sun. to complete everything. Gotta have it up and running by Sunday night. I put water, live rock and everything into a spare standard 30g and am running an Aquaclear on the tank. Sand in a 5g bucked and a powerhead in the sump to keep water circulation in the meantime. So it looks like I'll be starting the cycle all over again... :tears::(

I noticed you've been MIA. Hopefully by Monday everything will be running smoothly for you. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one stocked. Your plan sounds perfect. I bet your cycle won't be long at all :happy:

MeanGreenEyes
I have 4 running right now :lol: Soon to be 3 though. They are an awesome stress reliever when all is running smoothly :)

I noticed you've been MIA. Hopefully by Monday everything will be running smoothly for you. I'm really looking forward to seeing this one stocked. Your plan sounds perfect. I bet your cycle won't be long at all :happy:

This is very true! I'm down to 2 planted tanks and will not be breaking either down. I'm gathering a collection of reef tanks though...lol. :huh: Yes, between all of that crap happening with the tank I also just started a new job with an insane schedule so I'm stressing on how I'm going to find the time to get everything done. Thank you! :) I'm excited as well.

This is very true! I'm down to 2 planted tanks and will not be breaking either down. I'm gathering a collection of reef tanks though...lol. :huh: Yes, between all of that crap happening with the tank I also just started a new job with an insane schedule so I'm stressing on how I'm going to find the time to get everything done. Thank you! :) I'm excited as well.

You're welcome. Congrats on the new job, btw!

I don't really even count my planted tank when I think about maintenance, although I know some planted tanks can be as demanding as a reef tank with regards to care. Mine is at the point now that it basically runs itself. I do top-off and try to do a water-change once a month. It desperately needs trimming (the moss) but I have so many cherry shrimp in there that I'm afraid to hurt them. I really need to take some back to my LFS. I may do that this weekend.

Good luck this weekend :)

MeanGreenEyes
You're welcome. Congrats on the new job, btw!

I don't really even count my planted tank when I think about maintenance, although I know some planted tanks can be as demanding as a reef tank with regards to care. Mine is at the point now that it basically runs itself. I do top-off and try to do a water-change once a month. It desperately needs trimming (the moss) but I have so many cherry shrimp in there that I'm afraid to hurt them. I really need to take some back to my LFS. I may do that this weekend.

Good luck this weekend :)

Thank you! The best part about it is that I have an amazing new boss...I mean this woman keeps a smile on her face under pressure and I'm leaving the employment of the devil himself (verbally abusive miserable person that feeds off of negativity.) Sorry...lol...I'm just over the moon about the opportunity.

Yeah...my planted tanks are zero maintenance too. I do weekly water changes on all tanks...10% on the 20g w/ cherry shrimp and ottos...mostly moss tank and 50% on the 55g b/c have co2, 4 bulb T5's and I dose dry ferts daily but I keep them pre-measured in one of those old people weekly pill boxes. So I just pop the lid and drop it in on the way out the door in the morning. Dosing is Sun-Fri and water change day on all tanks is Saturday. So I have a system in place. Compared to the reef tanks they're zero maintenance.

Can I have the Lady Reefers Club for brunch? :P

I don't know you...so I'm gonna be nice and say play nice or I'll feed you to my pitbull for brunch! lmao :P:lol:

I don't know you...so I'm gonna be nice and say play nice or I'll feed you to my pitbull for brunch! lmao :P:lol:

You have a dirty mind. I meant I would cook brunch for the ladies! Bring the pitbull. I ate dog once. Didn't much care for it but who knows?

MeanGreenEyes
You have a dirty mind. I meant I would cook brunch for the ladies! Bring the pitbull. I ate dog once. Didn't much care for it but who knows?

Lmao...well you asked to "have" us for brunch...not to have us "over" for brunch...big difference! My pitty is not for food...he's my baby...my pride and joy...

12292_1377699039563_1144480943_31164822_1257555_n.jpg

MeanGreenEyes

For laughs here is Mr. Bigglesworth in the spare 30g playing dead...not a cat person...much more of a dog person...but Mr. Bigg's stole my heart from the moment that I rescued him off the street when he was small enough to fit in the palm of my hand...he's about 5 1/2 now...him and Big Boy are the best of friends and have been together since they were babies...

IMAG0272.jpg

IMAG0273-1.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

MeanGreenEyes
Awwww!

Thanks!

On a serious note in regards to the build...I think I just got raped on the cost of the acrylic that I ordered for the overflow box...$46 for One piece 10 ½” x 15 ¼” & Two pieces 4” x 15 ¼” smdh. Oh well...this has to get done this weekend...it won't even come with the teeth cut into it...fml

Lmao...well you asked to "have" us for brunch...not to have us "over" for brunch...big difference! My pitty is not for food...he's my baby...my pride and joy...

12292_1377699039563_1144480943_31164822_1257555_n.jpg

That's a beautiful dog. An apple would fit in his mouth nicely...

Thanks!

On a serious note in regards to the build...I think I just got raped on the cost of the acrylic that I ordered for the overflow box...$46 for One piece 10 ½” x 15 ¼” & Two pieces 4” x 15 ¼” smdh. Oh well...this has to get done this weekend...it won't even come with the teeth cut into it...fml

I picked up a piece today that I had cut to 35 1/4" x 17 1/4" and it was $24!

MeanGreenEyes
That's a beautiful dog. An apple would fit in his mouth nicely...

I picked up a piece today that I had cut to 35 1/4" x 17 1/4" and it was $24!

Thank you! Lmao...don't make me virtually kick your butt...him is not food! :mellow::huh:

Yeah...I know...that's the perks of living in NYC...everything is insanely expensive...hell...a jar of mayo in the grocery store is $7.50 when not on sale...

Nice dog. I would have taken you for a Wierd cat lady from your avatar. Nothing against weird cat ladies, but I'm a dog person.

MeanGreenEyes
Nice dog. I would have taken you for a Wierd cat lady from your avatar. Nothing against weird cat ladies, but I'm a dog person.

Thank you! Lmao...no I'm only 30...not a granny and I'm actually considered the weird fish tank lady...nobody understands why I have 7 tanks in my apartment. :ninja: Besides the tanks I've got 3 kid's, the cat and dog...full house...lol. Weird cat ladies are not for me...I mean I've rescued 4/5 other cats...mostly very young kittens that were abandoned in my neighborhood and gotten them spayed/neutered/vaccinated and gotten them homes just b/c I love animals and they were extra friendly...not feral. I am 110% a dog person. Mr. Bigglesworth grew on me b/c when I found him in the street he was no bigger than my hand, wet and muddy and crying at me through a chainlink fence in a bus lot. When I took him home and got him cleaned up he was not at all afraid of Big Boy who was about 2 1/2-3 months and Big Boy started licking the top of his head and they hit it off and would play and cuddle together to the point that the cat started acting like a dog. He doesn't drink out of the tiny cat bowls...he stands on his hind legs with his front paws hanging off the rim of the dogs water bucket and drinks from there...almost as if Big Boy taught him the ropes. Biggs doesn't get on my kitchen counters, etc. which I love. This cat is one of a kind personality wise...as is the dog with his love of the cat. When the dog goes in his crate he'll sleep on the tray part and let the cat sleep on the bed. The cat usually instigates the playfighting.

MeanGreenEyes

Got the deep blue 40B drilled from the bottom, overflow box made & siliconed in yesterday, back of tank painted/dried and filled for water test today before I left for work...fingers crossed...so far so good...have to pick up a few things to finish the plumbing down to the sump if I get off early enough tonight...

Sending a special thanks out to a few reefer friend's that helped...can't thank them enough...seriously awesome people that are the shiz! :) Even though 1 of them teased me for going slow and steady with the drilling of the tank...lol...I've had enough cracked tanks...this was only my second time drilling so I don't mind having my chops busted for being careful! :P;)-_-

Oh and some old man walked in as I was cutting the teeth into the acrylic for the overflow with the router and says "You're handling a router like that?" smh Then I caught a lecture from him about not wearing safety glasses...lmao "Leemelone" smdh

Kitty in the tank is adorable, what a fun picture. Your puppy is a cutie too.

@Longpig: did you say you would cook? We might have to make an exception and allow some testosterone.

Got the deep blue 40B drilled from the bottom, overflow box made & siliconed in yesterday, back of tank painted/dried and filled for water test today before I left for work...fingers crossed...

fingerscrossed

Yeah...my planted tanks are zero maintenance too. I do weekly water changes on all tanks...10% on the 20g w/ cherry shrimp and ottos...mostly moss tank and 50% on the 55g b/c have co2, 4 bulb T5's and I dose dry ferts daily but I keep them pre-measured in one of those old people weekly pill boxes. So I just pop the lid and drop it in on the way out the door in the morning. Dosing is Sun-Fri and water change day on all tanks is Saturday. So I have a system in place. Compared to the reef tanks they're zero maintenance.

I have even stopped dosing the ferts on my fw pico! I'm not seeing any change in growth or color since I stopped, either. If things start looking bad I'll start it up again, but so far so good. It's an incredibly healthy ecosystem. I haven't lost a critter yet...except for a nerite that crawled out without me knowing and a few shrimp have jumped :lol: I hate finding them dried up on the outside of the tank. That's with having a lid too!!!!!

Got the deep blue 40B drilled from the bottom, overflow box made & siliconed in yesterday, back of tank painted/dried and filled for water test today before I left for work...fingers crossed...so far so good...have to pick up a few things to finish the plumbing down to the sump if I get off early enough tonight...

Sending a special thanks out to a few reefer friend's that helped...can't thank them enough...seriously awesome people that are the shiz! :) Even though 1 of them teased me for going slow and steady with the drilling of the tank...lol...I've had enough cracked tanks...this was only my second time drilling so I don't mind having my chops busted for being careful! :P;)-_-

Oh and some old man walked in as I was cutting the teeth into the acrylic for the overflow with the router and says "You're handling a router like that?" smh Then I caught a lecture from him about not wearing safety glasses...lmao "Leemelone" smdh

Sounds like a big accomplishment over the weekend :happydance:

Thank goodness for reefing friends :)

Archived