SaltCritters.com

An addicted reefer chic's 40B w/ GHL Mitras & 2x30g display fuges

MeanGreenEyes

TeflonTomDosh
Oh h3llz yeah!!! You thought that I was joking? lol I'm so in love with it! I'm sure you of all people knows about it and the glowing reviews that come with it. Told the manchild it was $40! :ninja::naughtydance: lmao

Unboxing pics on pg 7 or 8... silver fixture with the hyperviolets...

So let me get this straight. You'll pay 1g + for a light but 250 for a mixer is too much|? facepalm.gif

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jedimasterben

Also, an air pump is what is used at California Academy of Sciences Steinhart Aquarium to keep their food mixture turned over. If it's good enough for them, good enough for me, and is how mine will be set up.

MeanGreenEyes
Nah, this is the first time I've seen your thread. I had my mind made up about the fixture when the finalized the LED configuration, and it's just as I expected.

Yeah...I was really literally ready to pull the plug on either 2 A.I.'s or 2 radions and both were lacking in reviews/spectrum so I poured over hours of reviews, comparisons...literally everything and literally didn't have any hesitations on pulling the plug with the Mitras. For me, it's a telltale sign when EVERYBODY starts selling something and that something is wrong. A.I.'s and Radion's are both constantly for sale. Look at Reefkeepers v.s. Apex, everyone is always selling a Reefkeeper to upgrade to an Apex. Whereas, I've only seen Apex's put up for sale when someone's leaving the hobby.

Plus, I was able to get my hands on the last one available (supposedly) otherwise it would've been a 4-6 wk wait period before more arrived from Germany. I believe it was 11/20 "ish" that I added it over the tank. Still too early to really state long term results, but so far...I feel I made the right decision.

Edit: and please explain the "just as expected?" good/bad?

MeanGreenEyes
So let me get this straight. You'll pay 1g + for a light but 250 for a mixer is too much|? facepalm.gif

Seriously, read up on the reviews on this light...it's soooo worth it. I would've had to get two A.I.'S/Radions to get the coverage that I get with these. There are zero dark spots in my tank. This light runs on 9 different channels (w/ HV) with over 3,000 settings per channel. I've already discussed this several times over the last few pages, but you get the drift. This light blows it's competition out of the water.

In regards to the continuous feeder...the one that I based my feeder build off of costed somewhere around $1,500 to make and looked ghetto as can be. So I'm determined to make a more affordable/more efficient/cuter option. Anything, my tank needs...my tank gets! In typical womanly fashion, so don't you face palm me, sir! lmao You are too funny! :P:haha:

How's the convo going on the disappointing coral thread btw?

Also, an air pump is what is used at California Academy of Sciences Steinhart Aquarium to keep their food mixture turned over. If it's good enough for them, good enough for me, and is how mine will be set up.

Thank you! I was considering that, but thought the magnetic stirrers are way sexier than an ugly air pump! B) I'll probably take your advice and go with the air pump option.

MeanGreenEyes
Nice tank ;)

I miss my Pearlberry. -_-

Thanks...you should see the colony this frag came from. Epic!

Nice pictures greeny!

Thanks Kat! :happydance:

MeanGreenEyes
Haven't checked in a while. I'm all hung up on "Craigslist Fails"

haha...yeah I've checked that one out a few times...but I got bored when the links expired.

jedimasterben
Edit: and please explain the "just as expected?" good/bad?

GHL isn't doing their research, like nearly all other manufacturers. They keep adding more and more types and colors of LEDs without sitting down and figuring out what is actually needed. I've seen what the light can do, and it's disappointing at best, considering the hype and the insane price tag. The Maxspect R420R gives better looking light and color rendering for less than half the price. And by my calculations according to the power draw and LED specs, the Mitras doesn't put out all that much more usable PAR than the R420R. It has more controllability, but I just don't see $1,200 in that light fixture.

My two cents.

MeanGreenEyes
GHL isn't doing their research, like nearly all other manufacturers. They keep adding more and more types and colors of LEDs without sitting down and figuring out what is actually needed. I've seen what the light can do, and it's disappointing at best, considering the hype and the insane price tag. The Maxspect R420R gives better looking light and color rendering for less than half the price. And by my calculations according to the power draw and LED specs, the Mitras doesn't put out all that much more usable PAR than the R420R. It has more controllability, but I just don't see $1,200 in that light fixture.

My two cents.

That was actually painful to read...I haven't seen a single negative review on this light until yours. Don't even know how to respond. :(:tears:

jedimasterben
For laughs here is Mr. Bigglesworth in the spare 30g playing dead...not a cat person...much more of a dog person...but Mr. Bigg's stole my heart from the moment that I rescued him off the street when he was small enough to fit in the palm of my hand...he's about 5 1/2 now...him and Big Boy are the best of friends and have been together since they were babies...

IMAG0272.jpg

IMAG0273-1.jpg

IMAG0271.jpg

:wub:

FWIW, If I had to choose between Mitras, AI and Radion.....I'd go Mitras.

I prefer Maxspect's bulb config and price, but I doubt the build quality is at the level as the Mitras. BTW, been running the older Maxspects for almost 3 years now. They have improved......

You could always buy a GHL Profilux and go nuts :D . That'd be pretty cool.

I do love those blue zoas you've got, what are they called?

MeanGreenEyes
:wub:

Thanks! He's my baby and quite spoiled. I still smile every time I run across pics of him.

FWIW, If I had to choose between Mitras, AI and Radion.....I'd go Mitras.

I prefer Maxspect's bulb config and price, but I doubt the build quality is at the level as the Mitras. BTW, been running the older Maxspects for almost 3 years now. They have improved......

You could always buy a GHL Profilux and go nuts :D . That'd be pretty cool.

I do love those blue zoas you've got, what are they called?

Thank you! Regardless, I do not regret my decision with the Mitras and would do it over again b/c even though it may not be perfect...it's better than the other options available. Price is non-factor to me, b/c I would've needed to AI's/Radion to get the coverage that I have with 1 Mitras. So I still would've been spending somewhere in this ballpark! Especially if I went Vega or Gen 2 Radion Pro's. No, I'm not rich. Maxspect wasn't an option, a buddy had them and sold them to go A.I. So I wasn't impressed with those.

I'd love to go Profilux...will have to save for that to happen...still deciding but may just go for it.

I have no clue what they're called, not into the "name game" bought them at the local frag swap last year from Dr. Mac.

TeflonTomDosh
Thanks! He's my baby and quite spoiled. I still smile every time I run across pics of him.

Still trying to figure out why you'd name a hairy cat after a hairless one :P

This is King :wub: :wub:

7972146956_6b880c8b04_b.jpg

MeanGreenEyes
Still trying to figure out why you'd name a hairy cat after a hairless one :P

This is King :wub: :wub:

7972146956_6b880c8b04_b.jpg

B/c Biggs' namesake is the shizz and Bigg's is a King!

Haha...how cute...hairless cats are ugly to me. My sis's best friend has one...ugly. Not my thing but to each their own. I rescued Bigg's personally, so he's extra special to me. B)

MeanGreenEyes
Tank looks great. :)

Thank you! How's your wrist? I'm sorry, meant to send well wishes your way and was pulled away before I was able to comment. Sending hopes of a speedy recovery. Please link your thread in your sig or give me a link here. Hope everything is well with your tank as well! :)

MeanGreenEyes
I think I had the same zoanthids from Dr. Mac but they melted on me. :(

Ready for the holidays?

I have 3/4 polyps on a frag plug I'll give you the next time I see you...

No, not ready yet...not feeling the holiday spirit at all this year. :(

In regards to the continuous feeder...the one that I based my feeder build off of costed somewhere around $1,500 to make and looked ghetto as can be. So I'm determined to make a more affordable/more efficient/cuter option. Anything, my tank needs...my tank gets! In typical womanly fashion, so don't you face palm me, sir! lmao You are too funny! :P:haha:

This peakd my interest. Last night I ended my date early so I could get home and feed my Dendroneptheas. < shaking head> Im serious too.

I have a 7 channel magnus on my big system, but my dendroN's are in my 125 seahorse system, for reasons I will explain one of these days. Keep me filled in on your continuous feeder ideas please.

-Z

MeanGreenEyes
This peakd my interest. Last night I ended my date early so I could get home and feed my Dendroneptheas. < shaking head> Im serious too.

I have a 7 channel magnus on my big system, but my dendroN's are in my 125 seahorse system, for reasons I will explain one of these days. Keep me filled in on your continuous feeder ideas please.

-Z

Zeph,

The secret obsessions of a reefer. lmao. Where you honest and told her why you cut the date short? You don't want someone that won't be supportive of the hobby. lol

Don't know if you saw these posts, but this is my plans w/ links to a few sources that I based this feeder off of. Link #1 was the main one. That zevex pump alone is $1,500. smh I already had 2 enternal pumps laying around, and 1 is capable of smaller than a 1ml dose/hr so that's what I'll be using. Everything is explained below. Also, decided that expanding foam would be a better insulator for the hole that I have to drill into the fridge v.s. silicone. I'm also taking Jedi's advice and going with an air pump to stir the foods v.s. magnetic stirrers since I'm so limited in space with this tiny fridge. Of course, I'm surprised someone hasn't mentioned the 32* below ambient room temp on the box of the fridge. My room is air conditioned during the warmer months, so that is not a concern.

There's also some info with the links below of the "pappone recipe" It's an Italian coral food, that's had amazing results. I'm doing it. It was an excellent read! I will also alter the recipe a tad, by adding some sodium alginate powder to help keep the food suspended to prevent settling. (It's used to for caviar/spheres) So I will be using that, instead of oysterfeast. Of I will be culturing my own phyto to feed in the 2nd channel, as it's a dual channel pump.

So...I'm using this cute little mini-fridge as my cooling apparatus for my d.i.y. continuous feeder project:

IMAG0934.jpg

IMAG0935.jpg

I still have to find small lab grade magnetic stirrers to fit inside to keep foods mixed...haven't looked yet...

I'll be using this enternal pump that I was originally planning to use for 2-part dosing:

IMAG0924.jpg

Seen here:

http://reefdosingpumps.com/sentry.html

Scored mine refurbished for $50 v.s. the $350 it normally sells for.

This will all be mounted close to the tank so that the distance the food has to travel through the lines is VERY minimal. Since I will be programming to feed .4ml/hr the food won't be sitting in the lines long enough to clog. I have dual lines running on the enternal pump since oysterfeast can't be combined with phyto/rotifeast due to risk of spoiling.

Waiting on silicone to arrive in my BRS order on Friday, and have to pick up some drill bits to run the lines into the fridge. I'm so excited!!

Of course it will be connected on the RKL (eventually Apex/Profilux upgrade) as a backup safety measure should the pump try to overfeed.

Still working on the major re-scape...full system scrub down went down last weekend, as well as 2 separate 5g water changes. Not ready for pics with the new light but I have to say...I am VERY happy with the purchase. Also, went ahead and changed carbon/gfo and threw in a new bag of CPE. I swear I'm already seeing some new growth on the Aussie Yellow with pink tips

frag since the swap. Everything is still acclimating to the new light, running at 40%.

Also, trying to decide if I want to go with the Profilux controller and doser or Apex and Bubble Magus doser. I've been hearing a lot of crazy sh*t happening with the Bubble Magus doser, tanks crashing, etc. I'm thinking it might be better to save up for quality "toys" from the beginning. Any input from those already running Profilux on their systems would be greatly appreciated.

My little Nac3 "skimmer that could" lol:

IMAG0936.jpg

Here's to break it down a little further and some threads that I loosely based mine off of b/c a buddy was a little confused with my explanation/description so far:

In regards to the continuous feeders...a good google search will give the basic idea of them...I'm after a sleeker/more functional/more affordable long term continuous feeding option.

The pump/fridge will be sitting right above the tank so that it doesn't have to travel far in the line so that there will be no risk of clogging from dried out food in the line. The replacement dual channel line is less than $20 and only needs to be replaced like once a year.

A few sources that I very loosely based this feeder off of...

http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread...uous-Feeder-DIY

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=1760416

http://www.manhattanreefs.com/forum/...to-feeder.html

http://stonyreef.com/blog/2008/feedi...ellate-corals/

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/inde...owtopic=307716

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-0...ture/index.php

Going to be trying this in the continuous feeder...ran into a very interesting read on it...

Here: http://reefcentral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=971190

And after the split here: http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1074951

"Pappone" Recipe Italian Coral Food (Updated 12/20/2006)

Materials:

5 Oysters

5 Mussels

5 Clams

5 Shrimp (NOT cocktail shrimp, the big scampi type w/o the head and the shell)

1 Tablespoon of Sugar

200 mL of RO/DI water

10 g of Red Algae (Palmaria palmata; Bisck uses Julian Sprung's brand)

and/or 10 g of Spirulina, 10 g of Nori (spirulina is what Bisck prefers)

Methods: Make SURE that all ingredients are the freshest possible and DO NOT use frozen foods (unless it is impossible for you). Make sure everything "live" is rinsed and cleaned before putting it into the blender. Put all the ingredients into the blender and blend for 5 min, wait 2 min for it to cool, 5 more min blending, 2 min of waiting again, then finally another 5 min of blending (the pausing is so that the solution doesn't get too hot and "cook" from the heat of the blender/blades). Pour into cube forms (approx 10 mL each). Then freeze it all—you want to minimize how long everything is at room temperature.

jedimasterben

Here is the recipe used by the Steinhart Aquarium:

20g of Cyclop-eeze

100g of 48 hour old Artemia nauplii

10mL of Reed Mariculture Shellfish Diet

and 10mL of Oyster Feast

Food is added via a peristaltic pump (the Bulkreefsupply 55mL/min model) for 15 minutes on, then 15 minutes off, 15 minutes on, etc. throughout the day for about 8 hours.

In addition, he also feeds the fish manually twice per day with chopped clam, shrimp, squid, Hikari mysis, or capelin eggs.

MeanGreenEyes
Here is the recipe used by the Steinhart Aquarium:

In addition, he also feeds the fish manually twice per day with chopped clam, shrimp, squid, Hikari mysis, or capelin eggs.

Thanks Jedi...I will add the squid and mysis as well. And plan to do the roe as well but don't know if that's something that can be added to the mix or would have to be added separately. I've already been feeding Nutramar Ova for a while now and the tank goes nuts over it, as well as my own d.i.y. frozen with squid.

Btw, my 10yr old son peeked over my shoulder and loves your avatar and screen name. He started giggling and asked me who you were. He's a S.W. junkie, lol. He carries some type of character catalog in his backpack to school everyday. This boy would wear pocket protectors if he knew what they were. Total nerd and filled with awesome. He made me a Christmas card/portrait of himself in school with light sabers in the mix. lmao Just worry he's going to catch sh*t for it when he hits middle school next year. Luckily, my daughter is over protective and a no b.s. kinda girl like her Mom.

Archived