Innovative Marine Aquariums

An addicted reefer chic's 40B w/ GHL Mitras & 2x30g display fuges

MeanGreenEyes

Oh my lord......you got it all goin on up in der. It's all beautiful.

....and a big friggn tank in the living room to boot! Can't wait to see what you do wit dat. :)

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
MeanGreenEyes

Is that the little frag of red titan we traded? Mine have pink sponges, they're pretty cool.

Lol...yes...that's the red titan that I got from you. I love sponges...I've found yellow, lime green, red, orange and lavender sponges.

Oh my lord......you got it all goin on up in der. It's all beautiful.

....and a big friggn tank in the living room to boot! Can't wait to see what you do wit dat. :)

Thanks, Spiro!

Omg...omg...omg...I had a couple of discussions with reefer buddies yesterday deciding on tank size and footprint. Still deciding if this will be custom but it looks like I'm going with a 150! They're pushing me to go with a wider footprint because they all feel a 125g is too narrow...kinda like a 55g. I'm pushing for a rimmed tank instead of custom because I want that little piece of extra security in an apartment. The idea of a large rimless tank with kid's, animals and an apartment involved scare the crap out of me. I'm so excited. I want Mitras fixtures for the new build as well...haha. So it looks like I have to start a piggybank for the build asap. I hope to have it up and running within 6 months. I want to do the proper planning and do things right. There will be a lot of diy...will be building my own stand as well.

I've been wanting a large reef tank in the living room for the longest...but my favorite lfs has extra small hippo tangs in right now and I must have one and it pushed me over the edge to start planning this build. They're the size of a freakin' quarter and the cutest little guys. Of course, my yellow tang has to have the extra swimming space as well...I love him and his personality.

MeanGreenEyes

If you add another tang that is so small to any size tank with a yellow tang that is larger, it will be killed.

My lfs said they don't normally get them in this small...so by the time the new tank is up and running they won't have them anyway. I don't mind getting a larger one. They were just adorable and a driving force on getting started with a larger tank...that's all...

I do love and care a great deal about my livestock...regardless of what people may say or think of me for putting a baby yellow tang in my 40...

jedimasterben

A 40B definitely isn't a good home for a sub-adult or older, but juveniles are more than fine in one. As long as you don't see any erratic behavior or bumping up against the glass, he's perfectly fine :)

MeanGreenEyes

A 40B definitely isn't a good home for a sub-adult or older, but juveniles are more than fine in one. As long as you don't see any erratic behavior or bumping up against the glass, he's perfectly fine :)

Absolutely agree. Luckily, he isn't showing any of those signs. For now he seems happy and is nice and fat. Which is all the more reason for me to hurry with the new build...he has so much personality...don't want to lose him and can't wait to be able to transfer him over to his permanent home. I fill his nori clip in the morning and at night before lights out. His fins are always extended and not mashed to his body like I've seen on some stressed skinny YT's. He just constantly grazes and picks at the rock. Doesn't show any aggression to any other fish. He sleeps in a cave with my clowns at night. lol

MeanGreenEyes

Are you dosing amino acids along with the BC food?

No...should I be at this point? I did toss a few extra things into the Pappone such as selcon, Kent Zoe.

I also thought about potassium and strontium after talking for the longest with a reefer friend last night who tests for and doses them for his SPS. I'm open to suggestions...I wanna push this system as far as I can push it.

I'm not dosing any two part yet...only upped my Kalk to a saturated (2tsp/g of top-off reservoir) back on Feb. 10th. Was told to do daily testing to see where my params are and what's been used up. My concern is the dramatic difference in the test results between different brands/kits. :(

I've been having issues with the Red Sea Pro test kits that everyone is raving about. I've been the brunt of quite of few reefer buddies jokes for actually purchasing the Red Sea kit's v.s. going with Elos or Salifert. I've ran the tests to a "T" and so have a couple of reefer buddies. It's showing my params are off the charts. Have 2 of the same kits...one brand new and one that I picked up in Oct. Expiration dates are not until 2014 and 2015 on both boxes. Ran the tests according to the Youtube tutorial and instruction booklet. My lfs tested with elos kits and they're showing my calcium is at 380, alk is at 8.5 and mag is only 1000. I was told that I'd need like a gallon of mg to bring it up but refuse to dump it in the tank until I know wtf is going on. I've ran both kits back to back...several times. I had my lfs test my water back on the 8th and again yesterday. Their elos test showed that my ca, alk and mg were low both times. They said alk was only 6.5 on the 8th...can't remember what ca and mg were.

At Zeph's advice I did up the Kalk to a saturated solution of 2tsp per gallon of my ato reservoir after the lfs said my params were low. I know I'm not supposed to chase ph, however, last night was the first night since I made a saturated kalk solution that the tank hasn't fluctuated from 8.2 at lights on to 8.5 at lights out. It was at 8.38 last night and 8.34 this morning at lights on. Hoping that's a positive sign since I don't know what to believe in the wide range of test results that I'm getting on this system.

My reefer buddy last night suggested pulling out half of my chaeto in which is 3/4 of the way filled in the bottom macro fuge.

I've done water changes in between with no real changes in the Red Sea test results. Trying to get some sailfert tests asap instead of waiting for shipping.

Examples of crazy test results from Red Sea v.s. Elos testing done at the lfs.

From Feb. 12th

Salinity 1.026

PH 8.3

Newer Red Sea Pro kit expires 01/15:

Ca 490

Alk 10.6

Mg 1440

Older Red Sea Kit expires 07/14

Ca 480

Alk 10.4

Mg 1400

Feb. 13th

Salinity 1.026

PH 8.3

Newer kit:

Ca 450

Alk 9.5

Mg 1520

Older kit:

Ca 450

Alk 11.2

Mg 1520

Feb 18th (before w/c)

Salinity 1.026

PH 8.2

Ca 450

Alk 11.2

Mg 1480

Old kit:

Ca 470

Alk 10.5

Mg 1600

Feb. 19 (day after w/c):

Salinity 1.026

PH 8.1

New kit:

Ca 465

Alk 11.2

Mg 1480

Old Kit:

Ca 490

Alk 9.8

Mg 1600

I even ran through the Mg tests...both of them a second time last night with a reefer friend...they still came out between 1480 and 1600. Who's tests do I believe? I'm definitely going to get some sailfert kits asap. I'm going out of my effin' mind over here being that Elos and Red Sea results are showing drastically different. The only thing that's looked pissed off in any part of my system was my green poccilliopora, but this morning it was showing PE again...though not as great as I would like it to.

People stress the #'s to much. Monitor the #'s but don't get caught up in trying to keep them "perfect". Just keep an eye on things and so long as your test results are defent all will be fine. I used to chase #'s myself. Once I kinda gave up my stress level went down lol and my tank started to thrive. K.I.S.S. !!! ....definitely works for me :)

Fwiw, I rarely test for anything (alk about once a month) and my tank is doing great. I can take one look at my tank and tell if something is off, and hen fix it accordingly.

jedimasterben

No...should I be at this point? I did toss a few extra things into the Pappone such as selcon, Kent Zoe.

They are part of it. The aminos dosed beforehand give the corals signals to extend polyps and take in the food, otherwise they'll miss a bunch because it takes a while for them to reach full extension.

I also thought about potassium and strontium after talking for the longest with a reefer friend last night who tests for and doses them for his SPS. I'm open to suggestions...I wanna push this system as far as I can push it.

Be sure to test for them.

I'm not dosing any two part yet...only upped my Kalk to a saturated (2tsp/g of top-off reservoir) back on Feb. 10th. Was told to do daily testing to see where my params are and what's been used up. My concern is the dramatic difference in the test results between different brands/kits. :(

I've been having issues with the Red Sea Pro test kits that everyone is raving about. I've been the brunt of quite of few reefer buddies jokes for actually purchasing the Red Sea kit's v.s. going with Elos or Salifert. I've ran the tests to a "T" and so have a couple of reefer buddies. It's showing my params are off the charts. Have 2 of the same kits...one brand new and one that I picked up in Oct. Expiration dates are not until 2014 and 2015 on both boxes. Ran the tests according to the Youtube tutorial and instruction booklet. My lfs tested with elos kits and they're showing my calcium is at 380, alk is at 8.5 and mag is only 1000. I was told that I'd need like a gallon of mg to bring it up but refuse to dump it in the tank until I know wtf is going on. I've ran both kits back to back...several times. I had my lfs test my water back on the 8th and again yesterday. Their elos test showed that my ca, alk and mg were low both times. They said alk was only 6.5 on the 8th...can't remember what ca and mg were.

At Zeph's advice I did up the Kalk to a saturated solution of 2tsp per gallon of my ato reservoir after the lfs said my params were low. I know I'm not supposed to chase ph, however, last night was the first night since I made a saturated kalk solution that the tank hasn't fluctuated from 8.2 at lights on to 8.5 at lights out. It was at 8.38 last night and 8.34 this morning at lights on. Hoping that's a positive sign since I don't know what to believe in the wide range of test results that I'm getting on this system.

My reefer buddy last night suggested pulling out half of my chaeto in which is 3/4 of the way filled in the bottom macro fuge.

I've done water changes in between with no real changes in the Red Sea test results. Trying to get some sailfert tests asap instead of waiting for shipping.

Examples of crazy test results from Red Sea v.s. Elos testing done at the lfs.

From Feb. 12th

Salinity 1.026

PH 8.3

Newer Red Sea Pro kit expires 01/15:

Ca 490

Alk 10.6

Mg 1440

Older Red Sea Kit expires 07/14

Ca 480

Alk 10.4

Mg 1400

Feb. 13th

Salinity 1.026

PH 8.3

Newer kit:

Ca 450

Alk 9.5

Mg 1520

Older kit:

Ca 450

Alk 11.2

Mg 1520

Feb 18th (before w/c)

Salinity 1.026

PH 8.2

Ca 450

Alk 11.2

Mg 1480

Old kit:

Ca 470

Alk 10.5

Mg 1600

Feb. 19 (day after w/c):

Salinity 1.026

PH 8.1

New kit:

Ca 465

Alk 11.2

Mg 1480

Old Kit:

Ca 490

Alk 9.8

Mg 1600

I even ran through the Mg tests...both of them a second time last night with a reefer friend...they still came out between 1480 and 1600. Who's tests do I believe? I'm definitely going to get some sailfert kits asap. I'm going out of my effin' mind over here being that Elos and Red Sea results are showing drastically different. The only thing that's looked pissed off in any part of my system was my green poccilliopora, but this morning it was showing PE again...though not as great as I would like it to.

Most test kits are going to give different results, but all should be within a certain margin. Have you contacted Red Sea?

MeanGreenEyes

People stress the #'s to much. Monitor the #'s but don't get caught up in trying to keep them "perfect". Just keep an eye on things and so long as your test results are defent all will be fine. I used to chase #'s myself. Once I kinda gave up my stress level went down lol and my tank started to thrive. K.I.S.S. !!! ....definitely works for me :)

Fwiw, I rarely test for anything (alk about once a month) and my tank is doing great. I can take one look at my tank and tell if something is off, and hen fix it accordingly.

I know # chasing is not the best thing, but my main concern is that I have no clue what my params are even at which I'm not comfortable with for the long term success since I'm pushing for SPS dominant. I'm not dosing at all and I know I will need to at some point if I don't need to already. I haven't seen any successful SPS dominant systems relying soley on w/c's and zero dosing. I do believe in K.I.S.S. to a certain extent, but I don't want to be neglectful of my system's needs if that makes sense.

They are part of it. The aminos dosed beforehand give the corals signals to extend polyps and take in the food, otherwise they'll miss a bunch because it takes a while for them to reach full extension.

Be sure to test for them.

Most test kits are going to give different results, but all should be within a certain margin. Have you contacted Red Sea?

That's why I added the Kent Zoe to the Pappone since it's being fed continuously I was hoping for them to work simultaneously. I know I'm varying from the original methods, but was hoping to really manipulate the recipe/method to my advantage for the NPS, etc. I'm sure there's something out there better than Kent Zoe that I can use, but it's what I was recommended and had on hand at the moment when I made my first batch. I need to make another batch of the Pappone soon, so is there something else that you recommend as far as amino acids go instead?

I definitely will test for them first. Which brand of test kits do you recommend for Strontium and Potassium? I just want to make sure my Ca, Alk and Mg are taken care of before I start messing with anything else.

That I know too, but I was concerned that they were being a liitle cocky about Elos being better than Red Sea and maybe human error caused skewed results as well as the fact that not everybody is anal about testing...i.e. uniform drops of titration, timing, proper measurements, etc. They are friend's and fellow reefers that do love the hobby, so I know they wouldn't intentionally sabotage the results or anything. Anyone would question the validity of these varying results. Just want to get to the bottom of it.

I couldn't even sleep last night stressed over this and thought about contacting Red Sea, but didn't want to look like an idiot...I guess I will shoot them an email in a bit and see what they say.

In the meantime and until I get to the bottom of this...I'm not touching/messing with anything besides feeding and my w/c and maintenance routine.

MeanGreenEyes

EDIT: Also, do you know the power consumption of the little fridge?

Sorry...just saw this...

I have no clue on the power consumption...sorry.

jedimasterben

Sorry...just saw this...

I have no clue on the power consumption...sorry.

I highly recommend one of these: http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

And not just because I want to know what the little fridge pulls lol. I used the unit to figure out exactly what my tank pulls over the period of a month and calculated what my exact cost to run was. Then of course I had to use it on EVERYTHING in the house :D

MeanGreenEyes

I highly recommend one of these: http://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4400-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B00009MDBU

And not just because I want to know what the little fridge pulls lol. I used the unit to figure out exactly what my tank pulls over the period of a month and calculated what my exact cost to run was. Then of course I had to use it on EVERYTHING in the house :D

I was actually thinking about those a couple of months ago...I need to figure something out...I have way too many effin' cords on this Tank. I want to get an mp10 for the top macro fuge for better flow. I'm sure there's some stuff missing from the list, but this is what I can think of off of the top of my head. I also want to figure out a proper LED setup for the top and bottom macro fuges as well as the one in the eshopps sump to cut down on electricity consumption.

2 mp10's (40B)

koralia 750 (top macro fuge)

smallest tunze nano stream (top macro fuge)

koralia 240 in the fuge in the eshopp's sump for a little flow for the mantis

mag 12 return (T'd off for carbon and gfo reactors as well)

Fluval 300w heater

Eheim Jager 300w heater (1 wasn't enough for the system when winter hit)

RKL W/ 2 PC4'S

Aqualifter for the ato

mini fridge (for the continuous feeder)

enteral pump (for the continuous feeder)

enteral pump (for slow nighttime dosing of alk for 2-part)

vortech battery backup

Mitras LEDs

Current nova extreme t5's 6 bulb uses two plugs (on top display fuge)

light for eshopps fuge

light for bottom macro fuge

Looking wonderful :) Congrats on the future 150g :happydance:

Thank you...I'm soooo freakin' excited and scared. The manchild is going to make fish food out of me.

MeanGreenEyes

If they aren't 'display' fuges, get some PAR38 fuge bulbs from Reefbreeders.

Well...the bottom one isn't for now...lol...but you know how that's going to go right? The top is going to fill and grow out or I'll find some new amazing stuff that I have to have and dedicate half of the bottom 30 to some type of NPS display and half with chaeto with a lil' eggcrate divider. A friend suggested that I throw a frag rack down there. Idk...for now it holds a huge piece of marco rock and is filled with chaeto.

MeanGreenEyes
Blueberry gorg...I am in love with NPS as much as SPS right now...I started getting polyp extension on this within minutes of being in the tank...

IMAG1139_zpsb8f02620.jpg

Next day...

IMAG1141_zpsb8f2356a.jpg

IMAG1140_zpsce26385e.jpg

Last night...

IMAG1143_zps427e69f3.jpg

IMAG1142_zps40197aee.jpg

I know it's only been in the tank a few days...it had not shown polyp extension at all at the lfs since arriving in a shipment and the shipper had exposed the tips to air so there was some tissue recession about a 1/4" on some of the tips. I'm very happy with it and the results that I'm getting from the continuous feeder. So if in the end I have saved it's life and am able to make it happy long term I'm doing the happy dance b/c it's sorta a big deal to me.

Sorry the last 2 pics are extra blurry...had a killer migraine to the point I was nauseous so didn't feel like really trying to get focused pic but wanted to document polyp extension...
MeanGreenEyes
OMG...it is official...2nd system/large build is happening sooner than later...a good reefer buddy, OPG, is donating front, side and rear panel glass toward my custom 180g build ...I'm over the freakin' moon right now. OMG...OMG...OMG...

Coral Theory has also very generously offered to assist with the build of the tank at their store.

As always with me...there will be a lot of D.I.Y.

More details will be disclosed on the build as they happen...can't think...too excited and in shock right now to think...
  • 1 month later...
MeanGreenEyes

OOOOO! Tank is looking great!!!

180 custom build!!!! You go girl!

PS, pictures with you and power tools.......please. :P

Thanks Spiro! Not gonna build the tank...just gonna buy one...decided to take a step back...it's going to be a slow build. I want to take my time and do everything right. I want it to be as close to perfection as it gets and higher end equipment. So far the only things decided for sure is a D.I.Y. stand, Marineland tank w/ black silicone, 2 or 3 Mitras fixtures, and a reeflo dart for the return, 2 MP40'S...maybe a 3rd for the back wall and the tank will be SPS dominant. I also want BRS pukani rock with a minimalist scape with 3 islands. Idk if I want to do a display fuge and whether or not I'm going to go D.I.Y. on my sump or get one custom. Haven't decided on skimmers. I keep hearing about Bubble Magus Curve, but haven't really looked into it. Regardless, I have a LOT of work ahead of me and decisions to make.

Definitely will NOT be breaking down my current system...I want to push it to it's full potential and see how it works out long-term. My system has been on auto-pilot and random water changes. Kalk was taken offline and dosers/continuous feeder are taking care of the rest. Lost a very close family member at only 23 y.o. and just haven't been able to focus on the tank/hobby.

Aussie spider sponge from Coral Theory...2 weeks in the system with the continuous feeder. The polyps were swaying in the flow so it was impossible to get a clear shot....guess I should have shut the pumps off...lol
IMAG1247_zps6bc93373.jpg
IMAG1245_zps48b2d50f.jpg
IMAG1244_zps8e5b5b48.jpg
IMAG1243_zps3e7b5505.jpg

SO sorry to hear about your loss of a family member. Prays and warm wishes to you and the whole family.

Your new sponge looks AMAZING! Way to go.

How is the tank doing over-all these days? Back to normal I hope.

So sorry to hear about your loss, must be tough. :(

Always looking forward to what you are going to do with reefing........

Oh and don't forget pics of you with power tools!!!! :)

MeanGreenEyes

SO sorry to hear about your loss of a family member. Prays and warm wishes to you and the whole family.

Your new sponge looks AMAZING! Way to go.

How is the tank doing over-all these days? Back to normal I hope.

Thank you...it means a lot.

Thanks...needed to run to the lfs for some carbon blocks for my RODI because my PSI had dropped drastically when I went to do a much needed water change. They were curious as to how the aussie spider would hold up with my continuous feeder so I had to purchase a small frag before I walked out. SPS are still pissed off, but coming around slowly. I've been neglecting the system with everything going on...just can't get into it. I'm trying though. Did a vinegar bath on all my pumps...15g water change..rescaped the macro tanks and did a semi-deep clean on the system until I got tired Mon. or Tues. night. Tested the tank last night and my effin' alk dropped to 6.1. fml. Cal. was 420 and MG was 1350. 180 build is on hold for a while just don't need/want/feel like dealing with the added stress right now. May start building the stand at least to get my mind off of things...really don't know. Trying to get back on top of maintenance to nurse my SPS back to health, which I'm sure will take a while. :/

Archived