Top Shelf Aquatics

An addicted reefer chic's 40B w/ GHL Mitras & 2x30g display fuges

MeanGreenEyes

• Replies 369
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you! How's your wrist? I'm sorry, meant to send well wishes your way and was pulled away before I was able to comment. Sending hopes of a speedy recovery. Please link your thread in your sig or give me a link here. Hope everything is well with your tank as well! :)

Linked it, but haven't posted on it in a few days. Been online much less cos of my wrist.

Pain is much better, but I still have sausage fingers. Have a follow up visit w/the surgeon in the next couple of days.

Thx for asking. :flower:

MeanGreenEyes
Linked it, but haven't posted on it in a few days. Been online much less cos of my wrist.

Pain is much better, but I still have sausage fingers. Have a follow up visit w/the surgeon in the next couple of days.

Thx for asking. :flower:

Ok, thanks for the link...I will catch up on reading your thread as soon as I get the chance. Awww...that really sucks! :( Please keep us updated. Again, wishing you a speedy recovery...keep your head up! :)

Hey Mean Green,

THank you for the info on your feeder. Im am really getting into NPS corals these days, mostly because of the challenge. I'm always trying to do the impossible/near impossible so NPS corals are right up my alley. Propagating them and breeding my own clams are my ultimate goals. I am in the middle of setting up a 125 G. dedicated NPS living room display, and LOVE that I wont have to fuss with lighting issues. Just some cool violets will be all.

Im thinking im going to need another magus doser with all 7 channels.

I just got an order from LA this morning...of some more orange sun corals, a nice acropora colony, and more berghia's. Im breeding burghias now too if anyone finds that interesting.

Good luck with everything!

yellopair.jpg

MeanGreenEyes
Hey Mean Green,

THank you for the info on your feeder. Im am really getting into NPS corals these days, mostly because of the challenge. I'm always trying to do the impossible/near impossible so NPS corals are right up my alley. Propagating them and breeding my own clams are my ultimate goals. I am in the middle of setting up a 125 G. dedicated NPS living room display, and LOVE that I wont have to fuss with lighting issues. Just some cool violets will be all.

Im thinking im going to need another magus doser with all 7 channels.

I just got an order from LA this morning...of some more orange sun corals, a nice acropora colony, and more berghia's. Im breeding burghias now too if anyone finds that interesting.

Good luck with everything!

Not a problem! Keep me updated on any tips/info as well! I can't wait to get everything to the point that I'm comfortable putting some NPS in the system. The bubble magus dosers have too high of a failure rate for me...I don't trust them. I feel that medical pumps are made for precision and are the safer option. IMHO. Adorable seahorses, too!

In tank related news...

Both 30g refugiums are fishless...the pod population is insane and I plan to seed them on a regular as well as culture some tisbe pods. The 30g's will most likely be stocked with some cool/different inverts. I also feed live phyto to the system in small amounts daily.

I made the pappone recipe last night...it looks insanely disgusting and I managed to gross out the babies and manchild with it which was freakin' awesome. lmao

I also blended...then chilled...then blended several times until I had the right consistency without "cooking" the mixture. Part of saving the good stuff is by not "cooking" the mixture by over heating it/over blending it at once because you want to keep it as cold as possible. All seafood was live...everything cost less than $10 for about 2L of food. My sodium alginate will arrive on Wednesday which will prevent the mixture from settling.

I finished the continuous feeder tonight and it is kick a$$! I'm so in love with it! Except I wish it was a Pepsi fridge...Coke SUCKS! Lol Keep in mind that the pappone recipe is more of a "coral food" than to feed the fish.

Tried to locate some live black worms to start trying to culture...which was unsuccessful. I found some info on culturing them that sounds as if it's been successful for quite a few.

So, I will be culturing live:

*phyto

*blackworms

*brine

*rotifers (when it's time)

*tisbe pods

The d.i.y. continuous feeder is done! Expanding foam has to cure for 8 hours before I can fire it up. Food for the feeder made.

Drilled a 5/16 hole through the back cover and through the fridge wall. The back cover covers the expanding foam on the outside, so you can't see the ugly a$$ foam. So from the outside...fridge looks unchanged.

Inside:

IMAG0978.jpg

Foam hidden by cover:

IMAG0980.jpg

Line for the enternal pump ran through the back cover:

IMAG0982.jpg

Upgraded my ATO reservoir to a 20g brute trash can...evaporation was a bish! I was having to replace 5g buckets every other day. However, since the sump sits on the floor under my DT, it was gravity feeding the sump through the aqualifter. Talked the issue over with a couple reefer buddies yesterday and I'll be running my ato line into my overflow so that the output is above the waterline in the brute. Problem solved.

jedimasterben

The key to keeping blackworms, according to Paul Baldassano, is to make sure the culture vessel is fully cycled before you add the worms. Otherwise they just die.

MeanGreenEyes
The key to keeping blackworms, according to Paul Baldassano, is to make sure the culture vessel is fully cycled before you add the worms. Otherwise they just die.

Thanks! I've been talking to Paul about them already. :)

MeanGreenEyes
Loving the continuous feeder.

How loud is that mini-fridge? I think I could actually get away with something like that with the wife.

Thanks, the mini fridge is very quiet...every once in a while you'll hear the little fan kick on...doesn't bother me.

MeanGreenEyes
it's more of a cooler than a true fridge right?

Yes and no...I wouldn't call it a "cooler" but it's not a full on fridge with a compressor like a "true fridge." I've had it running since I bought it, except to drill/insulate that hole the other day and it's kept everything cold. I'll pop the back cover off and show you guys the the guts to it at some point this weekend. It does say that it will cool to 32*F "BELOW AMBIENT ROOM TEMP" so it may not work for those who don't keep the room cool enough in the summer. It's the perfect size to keep two bottles of food cold and looks better than those ugly open top wine chillers that the guy used in that post that I referred to above.

Here's what it says on the side of the box:

IMAG0935.jpg

Hey how do u like the metal petco stand? Does the sump look weird just sitting there on the ground? Any chance of a pic showing stand and sump and everything? Thanks! Sick tank btw

MeanGreenEyes
Holy crap! You da man! ..........I mean woman! :P

Missed this...sorry Spiro! :huh: My response...I have heard that many, many times before...lmao... **walks away brushing shoulders off while doing my lady pimp walk**

Hey how do u like the metal petco stand? Does the sump look weird just sitting there on the ground? Any chance of a pic showing stand and sump and everything? Thanks! Sick tank btw

Thank you! :) Yes, I like the stand, however, I strongly urge you to go for a wooden stand. I have so many regrets b/c I am still struggling with figuring out a way to hide the never ending cord mess. I feel like the open stand makes it look messy. I would've liked to have a wooden stand...completely open back for air circulation cord/equipment/controller storage with a cut out in the front for the fuge area where my mantis resides. I don't mind the sump sitting on the floor b/c my sump is a pretty acrylic sump and not an ugly d.i.y. project gone wrong...but still too much clutter. Silicone and I don't get along! lol It's distracting when you sit and look at the tank.

IMAG0844.jpg

Missed this...sorry Spiro! :huh: My response...I have heard that many, many times before...lmao... **walks away brushing shoulders off while doing my lady pimp walk**

Thank you! :) Yes, I like the stand, however, I strongly urge you to go for a wooden stand. I have so many regrets b/c I am still struggling with figuring out a way to hide the never ending cord mess. I feel like the open stand makes it look messy. I would've liked to have a wooden stand...completely open back for air circulation cord/equipment/controller storage with a cut out in the front for the fuge area where my mantis resides. I don't mind the sump sitting on the floor b/c my sump is a pretty acrylic sump and not an ugly d.i.y. project gone wrong...but still too much clutter. Silicone and I don't get along! lol It's distracting when you sit and look at the tank.

IMAG0844.jpg

I guess I'm just wierd (I've been told that before), but I like looking at the "guts" of the system. To me the ultimate systems are those humongo ones that have an actual "fish" room with all the sumps and gadgets to look at un hidden away.

MeanGreenEyes
I guess I'm just wierd (I've been told that before), but I like looking at the "guts" of the system. To me the ultimate systems are those humongo ones that have an actual "fish" room with all the sumps and gadgets to look at un hidden away.

It's the cords and the plumbing that irk me the most...I don't really mind the rest. I want to re-do my manifold and wave a magic wand to make the effin' cords disappear...

Edit: Thought of maybe trying to squeeze in some type of small cabinet to hide the controller and cords...maybe mount this small contraption right there on the wall between the tanks??? Need to figure out something...

MeanGreenEyes

Finally received the sodium alginate today. It's about $30 for 16oz., but it'll last forever...only needs about a 1/4tsp. per batch. I'll be working on the system this weekend, finish piecing everything together and do a test run on the continuous feeder. Trying to figure out the nicest looking method to place/mount the feeder above the tank.

The good stuff for the food mixture...

IMAG0986.jpg

IMAG0844.jpg

Thanks for the response. I would like a wood one too but finding one that'll hold a 40B and have a cabinet for a sump is expensive!

MeanGreenEyes
Thanks for the response. I would like a wood one too but finding one that'll hold a 40B and have a cabinet for a sump is expensive!

It may not have to be though. Try joining a local forum/reef club and ask for help...on my local forum I often see people willing to help build stands for free just to help out fellow hobbyists. Offer to provide pizza and beer and they will appear. lol Seriously though!

I really would've built a d.i.y. stand, but being in a NYC apartment the space issue would be a p.i.t.a. Plus, I don't like renting/borrowing tools...I like to have my own...so I would've bought all the tools to build and would've had to figure out storage for all of that crap. lol

I also lacked in patience when I got this tank going. Go for it or you'll kick yourself later.

IMAG0844.jpg

Is that all chaeto growing in the tank on the left? So pretty and green :)

I too enjoy looking at the "workings" of the tank (aka, sump/fuge) sometimes more than the actual DT!!!!! I get excited when I go to the zoo and see the giant skimmer they have running above the seal exhibit. Only us reefers :lol:

Ummm.. something like this ??

dsc1071nw.jpg

Yummyyyyy blue spot squammy.

dsc1077y.jpg

MeanGreenEyes
Is that all chaeto growing in the tank on the left? So pretty and green :)

I too enjoy looking at the "workings" of the tank (aka, sump/fuge) sometimes more than the actual DT!!!!! I get excited when I go to the zoo and see the giant skimmer they have running above the seal exhibit. Only us reefers :lol:

Yes...all chaeto! The only difference is that I now have about 35lbs of pre-cured marco rock in that bottom left tank that I bought off of a local reefer a month ago. I also added a bag of algagen tisbe pods. I'm still prepping for my Green Mandarin pair.

Ummm.. something like this ??

dsc1071nw.jpg

Yummyyyyy blue spot squammy.

dsc1077y.jpg

Holy sh*t that is ghetto as h3ll...no offense...lol. :P I do not feel as crappy about my setup now. Nice clam too! Any new NPS?

Holy sh*t that is ghetto as h3ll...no offense...lol. :P I do not feel as crappy about my setup now. Nice clam too! Any new NPS?

Non taken, for I am the PROUD GHETTO MASTER! THis is a basement system so I like to get a little crazy with it.

OH YOU HAD TO ASK!!!???? I just treated myself to the following LA order. My Christmas gift to myself.

5 inch crocea clam

1.5 inch ultra grade gold aquacultured maxima clam

pink pocillopora colony with purple tips ( never saw one like this before)

dendronepthea

scleronepthea

mixed zoa colony

100 live mysid shrimp.

I was a good boy this year, I didnt kill anyone (yet).

MeanGreenEyes
Non taken, for I am the PROUD GHETTO MASTER! THis is a basement system so I like to get a little crazy with it.

OH YOU HAD TO ASK!!!???? I just treated myself to the following LA order. My Christmas gift to myself.

5 inch crocea clam

1.5 inch ultra grade gold aquacultured maxima clam

pink pocillopora colony with purple tips ( never saw one like this before)

dendronepthea

scleronepthea

mixed zoa colony

100 live mysid shrimp.

I was a good boy this year, I didnt kill anyone (yet).

Lmao...I see!

Nice order...pics when you get a chance, please!

Haha...2012 ain't over yet and we are known for our tempers...so you ordered from LA a lil' early! :P

MeanGreenEyes
Made some Pappone for the freezer with some scrap egg crate, a baking sheet coated w/ wax paper and some plastic clamps since the recipe makes way more than I can use for my system before it spoils in the fridge. Was able to make the cubes a little more uniform by tamping down the baking sheet and by using a small offset spatula. B)

IMAG0987.jpg

Archived