Cultivated Reef

Islandoftiki's Mantis/Pest Tank Pico Contest Winner!

Islandoftiki

I love your tank! I bet its very interesting and it sounds like it from all that I've read. I really like this devil's hand leather coral too! If you ever decide to frag it let me know. B)

This devil's hand leather coral is growing fast!

5220C7B0.jpg

Haha, I love the commentary.

I shall share some voice over work with you...

But... one day, I shall make videos as awesome as you. I really want your Xenia, you are making me want Xenia pretty hard bad. Also I think it would look awesome with my dendros and gsp.

L

And I thought zenia was a pest! I bought a frag for my old tank and I could never seam to kill it! It just kept regrowing stalks! My tank was half algae, half zenia.

People swear it's a pest, but if you keep it on a separate rock, it doesn't get out of hand. I've always had xenia in this tank and it behaves itself. That blue xenia in there hasn't even attempted to expand it's footprint. Of course, it might be a difficult task being surrounded by aiptasia and majanos.

None of the pests in this tank have yet to really show any true pest-like behavior. Go figure. Maybe in another year or so.

None of the pests in this tank have yet to really show any true pest-like behavior. Go figure. Maybe in another year or so.

Like living in a prison; everyones a con. Now if you had part of the tank pests and the rest good coral... I picture a riot or a few murders!

Tiki, you should get a eunice worm. And if it ever gets too big, just cut it in half and ship half to me!

I guarantee you, my mantis shrimp would kick it's butt!

A Eunice worm would be really cool in a dedicated pico though.

Awesome tank man...I just read this thread from start to finish and was captivated the whole time by a damn pest tank....

Awesome tank again!

Thank you for the compliment. This has been such an enjoyable project. I'm kind of excited for the end of the competition to come so I can change things up a little bit. Just a couple more weeks. I'm considering swapping the xenia out for something else, (maybe some kenya tree, or even my green slimer SPS frag that I have in my main tank). I'll be putting together a detailed write-up and video at the end of the month when the competition wraps up. Stay tuned!

Islandoftiki

The final video is processing as I type this. Full Tank Shot and Full Equipment shots are taken.

Y'all getting excited to see the tank? Get ready for epic.

Islandoftiki

This is it! The final Full Tank Shots and Full Equipment Shots for the competition!

Fear not, this is not the end of the pest tank, only the end of the competition. The tank will live on and I will continue to update you with anything new.

The pest tank has surprised me and taught me many new things. I should hope everyone tries a project like this at least once. You'll be surprised and delighted. Without further ado...

Full Tank Shots!

FE3E2E0D.jpg

0D952ABC.jpg

9392A573.jpg

Full Equipment Shots!

78948B4F.jpg

7092AB27.jpg

9CAFB985.jpg

Here's a special treat for all of you!

Please enjoy the final Pest Tank Video of the competition!

Stay tuned. Tomorrow, I will post a full write-up of everything new and exciting that I've found along the way. So many interesting things!
Islandoftiki

Keep your eyes peeled throughout the

. The mantis shrimp was photobombing most of the shots where he wasn't being fed. :) Edited by Islandoftiki
Islandoftiki
Just an idea, and I would like to take complete credit for this, you should add a green slimer SPS frag to this tank.

LOL, I was just thinking about doing that!

(Inside joke, we were just discussing this in PM)

I need to try to make the frag plug the green slimer is on look less like a frag plug. Maybe I'll just cut a small piece off and add it to the pest tank, sans plug.

I have a couple other SPS that might be fun to sneak in there, too. I have some nice fast growing orange plating monti that would be cool to get growing on the back wall with the GSP.e

LOL, I was just thinking about doing that!

(Inside joke, we were just discussing this in PM)

I need to try to make the frag plug the green slimer is on look less like a frag plug. Maybe I'll just cut a small piece off and add it to the pest tank, sans plug.

I have a couple other SPS that might be fun to sneak in there, too. I have some nice fast growing orange plating monti that would be cool to get growing on the back wall with the GSP.e

Just keep the GSP as far away from the monti as possible. My reverse sunset monti fell on top of my GSP, and has yet to regain it's color.