inTank Media Baskets

Islandoftiki's Mantis/Pest Tank Pico Contest Winner!

Islandoftiki

Ok, so the pest tank just came out of a 3 day blackout to get some of the pest algae (that I intentionally put in there) under control.

I've been keeping a close eye on everything since there was a bit of algae die-off.

Then I look over and the one hermit crab I have in there appears to be dead... Uh oh, I think. Is something off in the pest tank?

No. It's just fine. It was just a molt....

Notice the hermit in his shell behind the molt. Damn crabs ALWAYS fool me with their molts. And I know better!

E1D7FA12-orig.jpg

Hey, gang!

After nearly 11 months of operation, the pest tank just got an upgrade!

I picked up a couple of Mini-Jet 606 pumps (one for an emergency spare). I originally was running the Mini-Jet 404 pump, a 5 watt 108 GPH pump. The 606 is it's higher flow twin. Almost half-again as much flow at 153 GPH and running a little over 6 watts. Note, the wattage is important since that added 1 watt in a 2 gallon tank will add to the heat load in the summer... the chiller will be running more often, I'm sure.

Having really not done any cleaning or maintenance on the old 404 pump in the past 11 months, I found that the return pipe coming off of the pump was clogged with sponges and whatnot. The flow had become a bit restricted, and it was starting to show in the form of the pest algae that I had put in there becoming more of a nuisance than I would have liked. Dictyota, I hate you!

So, tonight, with the weekly water change, I modified one of the new 606 pumps to fit in the pump chamber of the Spec.

Here's a picture for anybody interested in modifying a 404 or 606 for use in a spec.

3E728792-orig.jpg

First you must remove both end covers. The front cover will need to be cut as shown and then super glued to the pump body. The front cover will now act as a spacer. The reason for this is to prevent the pump from getting sucked up against the glass and reducing flow.

Anyhow, between installing the higher flow pump and cleaning out the gunk in the return pipe (the latter being the main problem), I probably trippled or quadrupled the flow. I'm pretty sure that this, in combination with changing to using phosphate pads instead of filter floss will knock back the pest algae to an acceptable level.

I'll post pictures of the tank soon!

That's what I put in my spec. Mine still didn't fit right so I decided to trim that little plastic nipple on the other side of the impeller (it was preventing the fit). I ended up going too far and opened the cavity that housed the inside, breaking the seal. I got creative and decided to reseal it with super glue gel. I turned the pump on so that the impeller wouldn't get glued and placed a dab over the hole. I let it dry with the pump still running and never had an issue with it.

• 1 month later...
Islandoftiki

Well, how about that? Tomorrow will be the 1 year anniversary of this tank first going wet.

It's been a while since I've posted a full tank shot of the pest tank and given a good update of what's new.

1F9E3988-orig_zps1fee4830.jpg

About a month ago, I started noticing a fairly large increase in the nuisance algaes that I intentionally put in there. In particular, the brypsis and green cyano. They were starting to be a little annoying, so I raised the magnesium up to 1600ppm with Kent Tech M, in a week, all of the bryopsis was gone. At the same time, I also added a separate media bag with about a tablespoon of RowaPhos to the filter chamber and started dosing Macrobacter 7. As of today, 95% of the nuisance algae is gone. As far as I can tell, 100% of the dictyota is gone as well. I wasn't expecting that. There is still a little bit of caulerpa, but it's not really growing at all. So, that's been the only exciting thing. With the phosphates being so low, the green/red majanos have lost a little bit of their color, so I will probably start feeding them a little bit. The mantis shirmp has been doing well, although he doesn't come out very often. I also added a large hermit crab--too big to get into the mantis lair, so he's no threat during a molt.

That's about it! The tank continues to do great!

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Clarinet_Reefer

W00t w00t. One year!! I don't know if it's algae or simple neglect that takes down tanks but I'm glad to see one make it a year. Here's to another year!

I just visited Chuck's thread. That is an awesome tank too. That is a killer mushroom collection. I really likn the mantis shrimps. Great videos too!

I just visited Chuck's thread. That is an awesome tank too. That is a killer mushroom collection. I really likn the mantis shrimps. Great videos too!

Who is Chuck?

Islandoftiki

Major bummer day today. I came down this morning and found Spot dead at the front of the tank. He didn't eat last night, but ate just fine 3 days ago. He's been very reclusive for the past couple months. I wonder if he hasn't had some sort of issue going on for a while now. Maybe just old age. He was full grown when I got him, so I have no idea how old he might have been.

Islandoftiki

I was really concerned about Chuck, too. Chuck didn't eat or even come out last night, nor did Spot. So, when I found poor Spot dead this morning, I thought the worst, but fortunately, this afternoon, Chuck was busy discarding uneaten pieces of molted shell. I wonder if Spot may have had a bad molt or something. That's a common affliction in mantis shrimp. Chuck and Spot seemed to molt on a fairly similar schedule.

I was really concerned about Chuck, too. Chuck didn't eat or even come out last night, nor did Spot. So, when I found poor Spot dead this morning, I thought the worst, but fortunately, this afternoon, Chuck was busy discarding uneaten pieces of molted shell. I wonder if Spot may have had a bad molt or something. That's a common affliction in mantis shrimp. Chuck and Spot seemed to molt on a fairly similar schedule.

I know what you mean. I always get nervous whenever one of mine molts.

• 3 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

How about this...

The micro brittle stars spawned in the pest tank today!

Warning: Do not watch if you don't want to see micro brittle stars spawning. This is how they have sex...

• Like 3

Those naughty Brittle Stars! :lol: Cool video.

So glad that everything is going well. Except for Spot of course, poor fella. My Peppermint shrimp, Karloff, in the nano had a bad molt and died too. He ate a lot and I think he grew too fast and his shell just was not ready to let him out! :(

How are the little green nems from Mars doing?