ReefCleaners.org

Islandoftiki's Mantis/Pest Tank Pico Contest Winner!

Islandoftiki

Are you ready for this? This is the first major update and video in months, so I took a little extra time to make it better than average.

Enjoy!

• Like 7
llama roadkill

Are you ready for this? This is the first major update and video in months, so I took a little extra time to make it better than average.

Enjoy!

You make Majanos look good! I really want some, but I wish they weren't harmful.

• Like 1

How do you feed the mantis while you're not at home (hollidays)

you made me want one :D

all in all: great tank :D

Mantis shrimp only need to be fed every two to three days, and they could easily handle 5-7 days more more without food.

You could also provide them with some live snails or hermit crabs to snack on if they get hungry.

They're easier to keep than fish in that respect.

• 1 month later...

I love how you started off dumping a bunch of "junk" into the tank but then it turned out to be beautiful.

Kinda reminds me of this.

411-three-stooges-syndrome-1.jpg

The same sort of issues arise in regular gardening. Many of the "weeds" can actually be quite pretty and obviously are way easier to grow. Sometimes I'll be doing some yard work and wonder at the idiocy of my babying of a certain species of flower, while fighting to block the spread of another that just appeared. I've come to appreciate wild flowers as well as the cultivated varieties.

• Like 1

I'd love to see a "pest tank" on a larger scale. Something like 10-20 gallons. That would be really neat.

Then again, all you have to do is look through craigslist to find some full on pest tanks that are much larger...

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Well folks, all good things must come to an end. Today was the last day for the pest tank. I broke the tank down and gave all of the livestock to my good friend Jack who also took stewardship of my 7 gallon pest crab tank a while back. He will be combining all of the pests from my pest tank into his 7 gallon tank of oddballs and strange things, so everything will have a nice home and will be well cared for.

The two gallon pest tank had been up and running happily since March of 2012. I haven't had the time to manage all three tanks as well as I like, so it was time to let it go. I don't have any plans to set the 2 gallon tank back up any time soon. It was a really fun project. I hope everyone learned a little something from it and challenged their opinions of what a pest really is and what is needed to successfully run a pico tank with it's various challenges.

The pest tank was an overwhelming success and one of the most enjoyable projects I've done.

At this time, I'm down to the 25 gallon G. Ternatensis mantis tank and the 30 Gallon Peacock mantis tank. I'm planning to move the 25 gallon tank into the living room where the pest tank was so that we can better enjoy that tank.

Cheers!

Islandoftiki

• Like 4

hmmm, cuz I was digging through the genus that majanos are categorized under, looking for a species I have. Not only is you species not a majano, but it's in a whole different genus at least!

Since we're on the subject, do you have any clear up-close shots without actinics? It would make it easier for IDing the correct species

hmmm, cuz I was digging through the genus that majanos are categorized under, looking for a species I have. Not only is you species not a majano, but it's in a whole different genus at least!

Since we're on the subject, do you have any clear up-close shots without actinics? It would make it easier for IDing the correct species

If you do a google image search for "Anemonia majano", you find many pictures of the same thing I had. Not sure how to classify them any more specifically.

When you search that in google you get a whole variety of things that are not majanos, including zoas, palys, mushrooms. In the hobby things are often misclassified, misidentified, and misnamed, and I believe this is one of those cases.

When you search that in google you get a whole variety of things that are not majanos, including zoas, palys, mushrooms. In the hobby things are often misclassified, misidentified, and misnamed, and I believe this is one of those cases.

Well, let me know when you figure out what it is. They're known as green majanos with red tips. Other than that, I don't know what else to suggest. They look exactly like any of the brown or green majanos except that the tips of the tentacles are red. I suspect it's just a color morph of some sort. I suspect it's like a lot of things in the ocean that aren't well classified. I doubt anybody has bothered to break down the majano anemones into more specific subspecies.

Anyhow, they look and behave exactly like any of the various brown majanos or green majanos. These just have red tips. They're equally un-killable. They're not terribly invasive either. Probably less invasive than the brown varieties on average. The brown ones never went totally crazy either.

For what it's worth, many of the brown ones have different patterns and designs on them, so there are obviously multiple subspecies of them as well, but they're all just lumped into one category.

It's too bad that they aren't better understood, they probably hold the key to some really interesting knowledge.