Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

Islandoftiki's Mantis/Pest Tank Pico Contest Winner!

Islandoftiki

still my favorite tiny tank. ive been eye ballin a fluval spec all because of this tank! :D

Thank you!

This tank is still doing quite well. Lots has been happening lately. I went on vacation for 8 days to Disney World, Epcot, Hollywood, Animal Kingdom and all of the tanks were in the care of a tank sitter who did a great job--everything still looks great!

My G. Viridis in the pest tank decided to go through a molt a day before I went on vacation, so he blocked himself into his den for two weeks. It was a little disconcerting not seeing him for so long, even though I know this to be a normal behavior for him. Two days ago he opened up the den and has been out in the open and eating again. YAY!

I'll try to post some pictures of the pest tank this weekend. I'm helping a friend move her frag tank this weekend along with four or five other folks from the local saltwater club. It's a pretty large tank with a sump, etc., so it'll be a handful.

Here's my current project... Gonodactylaceus ternatensis mantis shrimp tank. I acquired this beautiful guy from a local reefer who was keeping him in her sump. She knew about my work with the pest tank and my little mantis and offered him up. I did some searching for a large enough tank to keep him in and ended up with the old Micro-Reefs 25 gallon main display tank! Major score!

So, the new tank build is taking up the majority of my spare time. I've got it up and running with plain tap water right now to test all of the pumps, heater, chiller, etc. So far, so good.

Anyhow, I'll post some new pics of the pest tank in the next couple days! Stay tuned!

jedimasterben
This tank is still doing quite well. Lots has been happening lately. I went on vacation for 8 days to Disney World, Epcot, Hollywood, Animal Kingdom and all of the tanks were in the care of a tank sitter who did a great job--everything still looks great!

You were in my neck of the woods!

Well, a couple of hours away from my neck of the woods. Maybe you were in the ankle of my woods. You know.

Well, we're a little overdue for an update, aren't we?

So, here goes. 8th month of tank operation!

IMG_20121114_175026.jpg

IMG_20121114_174923.jpg

IMG_20121114_174857.jpg

IMG_20121114_174916.jpg

IMG_20121114_175034.jpg

IMG_20121114_175042.jpg

IMG_20121114_174840.jpg

As you can see, the tank is doing great. The mantis shrimp is happy and healthy. He just came out from a two week molt sequestration. I did some major maintenance on the tank the other day. I vacuumed 1/4 of the sand bed, and did a major prune on the macro algae. It's looking good and the growth in the tank continues. I'm really happy with it!

I stayed up way to late reading this, finally decided I couldn't keep my eyes reading anymore and went to bed. I finally finished reading this whole thread just now.

I am so glad I am not the only person who has a 'prison' tank. I felt bad viciously killing all the aptasia in my main tank. So a few from the tank got put in a 1 gallon pickle jar, along with a few rocks for them to live on. I have put some other macros in there from time to time so I would have a back up set if the plants in the sump died. I haven't done much for heat or any other such thing. They basically have been living off the light from my grow light I have on one of my fresh water snail colony tanks. All I have done was keep the water topped off. I should probably change their water one of these days.....

After seeing this I really want to give a pest tank a go. Dang you! (Not really it looks wonderful.)

*goes off to find the acrylic scrap that is kicking around here somewhere*

I stayed up way to late reading this, finally decided I couldn't keep my eyes reading anymore and went to bed. I finally finished reading this whole thread just now.

I am so glad I am not the only person who has a 'prison' tank. I felt bad viciously killing all the aptasia in my main tank. So a few from the tank got put in a 1 gallon pickle jar, along with a few rocks for them to live on. I have put some other macros in there from time to time so I would have a back up set if the plants in the sump died. I haven't done much for heat or any other such thing. They basically have been living off the light from my grow light I have on one of my fresh water snail colony tanks. All I have done was keep the water topped off. I should probably change their water one of these days.....

After seeing this I really want to give a pest tank a go. Dang you! (Not really it looks wonderful.)

*goes off to find the acrylic scrap that is kicking around here somewhere*

There's a whole thread on here somewhere for "Jarquariums" that people are keeping. Aiptasia and Majanos are so hearty that as long as they stay wet in some water that's somewhere close to the right salinity and get enough light, they do just fine. Fun stuff.

My first dip into the aquarium hobby was a

Edited by Islandoftiki

Well,l due to your great tank I think I am going to actually build them a proper tank. I still don't know where I put that sheet at. I tore up the house last night trying to find it. I am not sure how I lose something that large but it is quite annoying. Until then they get to live in the pickle jar. I threw a huge bristle worm that I found in my frag rack the other day when I was moving frags around.

I know I read that you have bubble algae in the tank do you have the round kind or the banana shaped kind? Just curious, I have both in my main tank. I rip it out whenever my hand needs to go in the tank. I have one emerald crab that keeps one side clean. I think I need to get another emerald crab to take care of the other side.

If you want some of the banana shaped bubble algae. I can send you some when it gets warmer.

Amano shrimp are a lot of fun to watch, always so busy. I have three currently, one had a clutch for a while but I don't think any survived.

I like my crystal reds even better they always are arguing about something. They think they are the kings of their world. No one told them that they are less than 2 inches long.

I JUST set up a 2g Fluval Spec for a n. wennerae, not realizing that this was a spec too! Okay...so whats your evap secret? Do you have an ATO? Mine is terrible and I'm still just running the stock lights.

I JUST set up a 2g Fluval Spec for a n. wennerae, not realizing that this was a spec too! Okay...so whats your evap secret? Do you have an ATO? Mine is terrible and I'm still just running the stock lights.

No problems with evap on mine. I'm using the cover that it comes with and only top it up every other day. Maybe a cup to a cup and a half. The biggest problem is keeping the tank cool in the summer with a bigger pump in it, which is why I rigged up the chiller.

If you want some of the banana shaped bubble algae. I can send you some when it gets warmer.

I haven't had much luck getting bubble algae to grow in there. I must have popped 50 of them. Both spherical and elongated ones. I've only seen two little bubbles grow, then they just kinda went away.

That's a lovely mantis. I saw one at a LFS the other day. I have it's cousin, n. curacaoensis.

Islandoftiki, I forget, what type of mantis do you have?

I'm seriously thinking about rearranging my pest Spec for Kong, moving Kong to the chaeto reservoir and using the Spec for the mantis. Easier to view.

L

That's a lovely mantis. I saw one at a LFS the other day. I have it's cousin, n. curacaoensis.

Islandoftiki, I forget, what type of mantis do you have?

I'm seriously thinking about rearranging my pest Spec for Kong, moving Kong to the chaeto reservoir and using the Spec for the mantis. Easier to view.

L

General consensus is that mine is most likely at G. Viridis that is extremely dark in color. Dr. Roy Caldwell thought it was most likely a G. Viridis. It could be something else, but that's our best guess. It's really cool that he's almost totally jet black.

I haven't had much luck getting bubble algae to grow in there. I must have popped 50 of them. Both spherical and elongated ones. I've only seen two little bubbles grow, then they just kinda went away.

Wish I had that problem... I just can't seem to get to all of it and it just keeps comeing back. About to the point that I am going to get another crab here if it keeps up. Think I saw a few of the red kind just now to. At this point I don't care enough to pull it out. I figure I might as well get a different color going too.

If I get a colony of all three going I might just send you an small box with all three come summer. It really isn't all that hard to keep alive you know. ;)

Wish I had that problem... I just can't seem to get to all of it and it just keeps comeing back. About to the point that I am going to get another crab here if it keeps up. Think I saw a few of the red kind just now to. At this point I don't care enough to pull it out. I figure I might as well get a different color going too.

If I get a colony of all three going I might just send you an small box with all three come summer. It really isn't all that hard to keep alive you know. ;)

I'm always happy to take more pests!

was at the LFS , saw this and thought of your tank

Haha, nice!

• 4 weeks later...
Great thread. Drank a few while reading it all last night. Thanks for sharing

You're welcome. I'll be posting some updates over the holidays. Stay tuned!

Well, this thread has entertained me for the past like hour. Thank you. Funny, I considered keeping a pest tank if I had any come along for the ride on my lr. So far only brittle starfish, though.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's officially unofficial. My tank wins the Unofficial People's Choice award in the 3 Gallon and Under Pico Contest.

Still no word from the official judges, and I don't expect there to be one at this point, but that's life.

• Like 1

I'll follow along! so far, I haven't gotten to add anything but my clean up crew to my tank. I went from really decent pay checks to no work at all. I wasn't expecting it in the least bit so I'm really frustrated.

I wouldn't mind having that xenia in my tank. I tried two times but I seem to be one of those people who can't keep them alive for long. I find the pulsing motion to be quite mesmerizing. Very good concept. :)