Top Shelf Aquatics

Islandoftiki's Mantis/Pest Tank Pico Contest Winner!

Islandoftiki

Love this tank and those majanos are awesome. I had some like them when I first started a few years ago but of course I listened to everyone and got rid of them they are awesome looking.

Curious most mantis tanks I see only have stuff like majanos and what not in them, do mantis eat zoas? I have always been fascinated with mantis shrimp but could never not have the color in a tank:)

Islandoftiki
Love this tank and those majanos are awesome. I had some like them when I first started a few years ago but of course I listened to everyone and got rid of them they are awesome looking.

Curious most mantis tanks I see only have stuff like majanos and what not in them, do mantis eat zoas? I have always been fascinated with mantis shrimp but could never not have the color in a tank:)

Mantis shrimp are reef friendly. Some mantis can't handle the bright lights needed to sustain most corals, for example, the Peacock mantis can develop shell rot from bright lighting.

Luckily, there are still many types of mantis that do just fine under bright reef lighting and can be kept with any coral you can think of.

Mantis shrimp eat a diet of raw meaty seafoods that you can find at your local supermarket. Shrimp, clams, scalops, crab, etc. Anything that would be part of their normal diet in the wild.

They're really easy to care for and fun to feed.

aquemeni5110
Remember,

Key to the success of a pico:

1. Dose with additives daily or weekly

2. Don't let evaporation catch you off guard

3. Keep your water changes on schedule

4. Clean your windows daily

5. Prone anything that overgrows

6. Don't overfeed

7. Keep filter sponge clean

8. Don't push beyond 8 hour lighting period.

9. Use chopstick to break up debris buildup on all four corners of tank

10. Watch an episode of Discovery channel "Tanked" to appreciate the size of your pico! :lol:

Happy reefing!

Good stuff Mike.. Btw, I've seen all the Tanked episodes. :D And a few Fish Tank Kings.

Awesome Spec build! Digg the chiller setup and stand. Nice job.

Islandoftiki
Awesome Spec build! Digg the chiller setup and stand. Nice job.

Thank you. The chiller has been working great to keep the tank below 80 degrees. I have it set to come on at 78.5 and I've never seen the tank get above 79.7 on the hottest days. Before the chiller, when I had it set up as a normal reef tank, it would easily hit 84+ degrees on a hot day without a fan. With a fan, evaporation became an issue.

With this setup, evaporation is minimal. I was gone for the weekend and it went unattended from Friday at noon to Sunday around 5pm and only needed about a cup of water to top off.

Islandoftiki

I was starting to get concerned that I haven't heard or seen my mantis shrimp in 4 days so I disassembled the broken shell wall he built to cover an area that he had hollowed out. There he was. probably saying, "WTF? Do you know how long it took me to build that wall?" I fed him some mysis to make up for the intrusion.

I ordered some clean-up crew for my 10 gallon to replace some of what the pistol shrimp killed. I also ordered a bunch of dwarf cerith snacks for the mantis. I'll keep them in the 10 gallon and add them as he depletes the stock in the 2 gallon.

Islandoftiki
He's going to start charging you a builders fee to rebuild his wall :P

Yeah, no kidding. What's funny is that he must have gotten hungry and he tore down the wall himself on Sunday. I fed him a couple mysis shrimp. Later that evening, he had rebuilt the wall before bedtime.

I'm pretty sure he molted. His meral spots are bright white now (they were almost invisible black before). I didn't get a look at the rest of him as he wouldn't come out of the hole all the way.

Two majanos moved into his lower man-made cave.

There has been a lot of growth in the tank as of late. By the time the contest ends, I doubt there will be a bare spot on any of the rocks.

Islandoftiki

Shadie decided to show himself finally. I took at quick video--here he is in the little area that he usually has walled up with shells. I'm pretty sure he molted. Notice how his meral spots are bright white now.

• Like 1

looks great! he sure is a skittish lil fella, i have a N. Oerstedii in a 5 gal reef currently, some LPS/zoas/shrooms/softies. lovin the setup though!keep up the good work

Islandoftiki
looks great! he sure is a skittish lil fella, i have a N. Oerstedii in a 5 gal reef currently, some LPS/zoas/shrooms/softies. lovin the setup though!keep up the good work

I know, right? Bad-ass mantis shrimp really would prefer to avoid conflict. I still want to see my fiance try to hand feed him. She said she would. I don't think he hits hard enough to break the skin. I'm so tempted to find out.

Islandoftiki

So, I'm watching TV tonight and I hear loud clicking from the pest tank. I grabbed my phone and shot this video of my mantis shrimp beating the living tar out of a rock. You do not want to get hit by this little guy. (The chatter in the background is our African Grey parrot, Dory)

Edited by Islandoftiki
Islandoftiki
Beating the living tar?

It hit the rock twice. Dang, I was expecting something like a cat playing with it's food.

He was hitting it for a while before I dug the phone out and got the video app going.

So, here's a video of my mysis shrimp population in the tank:

He was hitting it for a while before I dug the phone out and got the video app going.

So, here's a video of my mysis shrimp population in the tank:

Wow! That is a lot!.

altolamprologus

I love how that video's music is all happy and upbeat and the mantis vids have horror movie music. Nice touch

Islandoftiki
I love how that video's music is all happy and upbeat and the mantis vids have horror movie music. Nice touch

Because mantis shrimp are spooky and stuff...

Unlike

Dude, love this tank. I have the same spec but right now its being used to keep my misbar occy and a few corals until i finish my 40B, maybe after i transfer everything i will steal your idea and keep a pest tank also since i love how those pest corals look.

Islandoftiki
Dude, love this tank. I have the same spec but right now its being used to keep my misbar occy and a few corals until i finish my 40B, maybe after i transfer everything i will steal your idea and keep a pest tank also since i love how those pest corals look.

The funny thing is you will get more amusement and fun from the pest tank. I kid you not.

I love my 10 gallon, but the 2 gallon pest tank is the crown jewel.

The funny thing is you will get more amusement and fun from the pest tank. I kid you not.

I love my 10 gallon, but the 2 gallon pest tank is the crown jewel.

sounds awesome i saw my lfs had a mantis shrimp last week and i can ask them to order me one also if they don't have any just have to ask the club member that works there from my reef club. i can't wait i will keep it next to my 40B and right next to my bed so i can talk to them :) i know i'm crazy but in this hobby its better to be a little crazy with the prices we pay for fish and corals.

Islandoftiki

Here's something new that's been slowly growing in the pest tank. It's finally big enough to get a decent picture of. It's some form of macro algae. It's not anything that I ever intentionally put in there, it's just a hitchhiker, but it's pretty cool looking.

F1880D0F.jpg

949C9E44.jpg

It has very little color. Mostly clear with a little green in it. If I could get enough of a close-up, you could see that it has very tiny horizontal stripes across the surface of the structure. I'll dig out the fancy camera and see if the super macro mode will get a picture of it close-up.

Islandoftiki
Can you put an fts on page 1?

Yeah, I'll do that in the next day or two when I post the FTS for the competition.