ReefCleaners.org

Islandoftiki's Mantis/Pest Tank Pico Contest Winner!

Islandoftiki

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Ooooh! Oooh!! You know what I just found in the pest tank? A rust brown flat worm!!! The pest tank is complete! Now that's an epic quality pest!

Dude,

Are you for real? I love it, you get so excited about your pest! So awesome, did you read about what happened to my pest bristle worm?

I posted it here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3861308

Islandoftiki
Dude,

Are you for real? I love it, you get so excited about your pest! So awesome, did you read about what happened to my pest bristle worm?

I posted it here:

http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/index.php?...t&p=3861308

Oh man, your poor fish! That's a bitter pill to swallow.

Actually, you can't imagine how much I hate flatworms. When this tank was a real tank, I ended up having an annoying flatworm problem. They became immune to flatworm exit, and I ended up having to get a juvenile sixline wrasse to eat them all. Which is why I now have one of your 10 gallon tanks, Mike. That's where she lives now. She did a brilliant job of cleaning up every single flatworm, but I couldn't keep here in there for very long. Needless to say, I don't worry too much about flatworms in my 10 gallon, she'll eat any that she can find... along with every single pod in the tank.

I bet they won't do well. I'm sure palys, aiptasia and majanos will have no problem eating flatworms.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Oh man, your poor fish! That's a bitter pill to swallow.

Actually, you can't imagine how much I hate flatworms. When this tank was a real tank, I ended up having an annoying flatworm problem. They became immune to flatworm exit, and I ended up having to get a juvenile sixline wrasse to eat them all. Which is why I now have one of your 10 gallon tanks, Mike. That's where she lives now. She did a brilliant job of cleaning up every single flatworm, but I couldn't keep here in there for very long. Needless to say, I don't worry too much about flatworms in my 10 gallon, she'll eat any that she can find... along with every single pod in the tank.

You should have seen my face when I saw my Gunnel appear to have died! I was in shock! I have never seen him suffer like that, no fish have I ever seen go in agony!

The gunnel is the dumbest fish I have ever owned next to goldfish, he has a tiny head which might mean tiny brain, I love him because he's dumb!

I am so happy he is okay.

Yeah, I'm like you sixline wrasse in my 25 gallon tank because I had a POD explosion, now the pods are in check, because he is on patrol.

Islandoftiki

Hey Mike, speaking of cold water picos...

I went to pick up some acans at a local reefer's place last night. He had about a 4 or 5 gallon cold water pico with a bunch of amazing anemones and the cutest file fish you've ever seen. I was thinking that I need to have a cold water pico at work.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
Hey Mike, speaking of cold water picos...

I went to pick up some acans at a local reefer's place last night. He had about a 4 or 5 gallon cold water pico with a bunch of amazing anemones and the cutest file fish you've ever seen. I was thinking that I need to have a cold water pico at work.

Yeah,

You live in Oregon, so it might be one reason the Cold Water Pico explosion has occurred but here in California the regulations are so strict, no LFS has cold water fish, not even in Monterey.

But that is going to change, I am talking to the Warden in Monterey, I will not let the wind get away from these sails, no way!

You have everything right there in your backyard including Cold Water Marine Aquatics, so I can only supply you the cute tank in acrylic, should you ever want one :)

Islandoftiki
Yeah,

You live in Oregon, so it might be one reason the Cold Water Pico explosion has occurred but here in California the regulations are so strict, no LFS has cold water fish, not even in Monterey.

But that is going to change, I am talking to the Warden in Monterey, I will not let the wind get away from these sails, no way!

You have everything right there in your backyard including Cold Water Marine Aquatics, so I can only supply you the cute tank in acrylic, should you ever want one :)

I'd like to have a saltwater tank at work, but to have a practical pico at work, I think cold water is the only way to go. No ATO, no heater, and the ability to leave it for several days without feeding would make that a winner.

Micro-Reefs Aquariums
I'd like to have a saltwater tank at work, but to have a practical pico at work, I think cold water is the only way to go. No ATO, no heater, and the ability to leave it for several days without feeding would make that a winner.

Okay,

So when do I send you the Office Ecosystem for your job! I could make it cold water easy! LOL

Islandoftiki
Okay,

So when do I send you the Office Ecosystem for your job! I could make it cold water easy! LOL

We'll work something out when I win the pico competition. LOL

• 2 weeks later...
Micro-Reefs Aquariums
We'll work something out when I win the pico competition. LOL

We are developing a perfect light to match that setup! There are no 9 inch fixtures on the market. We are having one especially built for this size tank. ;)

Islandoftiki

I just realized that some of the random zoas I put in there might actually be valuable. There's at least one whammin watermelon in there. There's something similar to radioactive dragon eyes and some others that I'd guess are something special that I don't really care to look up because I don't subscribe to the whole named zoas being any better than non-named ones.

Islandoftiki

Ok, so you've seen lots of video of the mantis shrimp, and he's real nifty and swell and stuff, but you're probably starting to wonder, how are all of the corals doing in the pest tank? Have the aiptasia taken over? Are the majanos eating everything? Have the palys eaten any more xenia?

Well, to answer your questions, the tank is doing amazing. The growth in the tank has been downright explosive. I don't think I'll be adding any more corals at this point, I think it's time to just let everything go crazy and do it's thing.

Have a look, it's pretty amazing so far!

Islandoftiki
Tank is looking awesome! And the mantis looks quite busy/happy as well.

You should see what he did last night/early this morning. I came downstairs this morning to a heavily re-scaped tank. I like what he did. I'm going to have to siphon out the massive pile he made in the back left corner of the tank though.

Islandoftiki

And it looks like we have a Phillies fan on our hands here. He was watching the game with us. He tucked down into his cave a little when I put the camera up to the tank, but he had half of his body out of the cave and was focused on the television for the duration of the game (and for a little while later). He actually watches the television. I've heard other people say they have witnessed their mantis watch TV, too.

252F29C8.jpg

I could see that happening. With them having the best eyesight of any creature alive I'm sure the television is quite interesting to him.

You should bring up the National Geographic Documentary on them and have him watch it. Might be educational for him! Who knows, maybe he'll see a relative.

Really liking the look of the tank. Aren't Mantis just amazing little creatures? Kinda annoying with the clicking if it is near your sleeping area though.

Islandoftiki
Really liking the look of the tank. Aren't Mantis just amazing little creatures? Kinda annoying with the clicking if it is near your sleeping area though.

Yeah, I don't think I'd put a mantis tank in my bedroom. Between my my mantis and the pistol shrimp in the other tank, my fiance's parrot and the tribe of Hadzabe bushmen, there's enough clicking going on that I'm glad they're not in the bedroom.

• Like 1