inTank Media Baskets

Islandoftiki's Mantis/Pest Tank Pico Contest Winner!

Islandoftiki

Islandoftiki
So where did you get those mijano's from? :)

They had a rock full of them at my local fish store. They gave me as many as I wanted. If you want to pay shipping, I'll try sending you one. I have more than enough. They're practically un-killable. I picked up some acans for my 10 gallon tank from a local reefer the other day and he had a tank that he was tearing down. he had a couple of those green/red majanos in it and the heater had been off for two weeks. They were doing just fine at room temperature.

They had a rock full of them at my local fish store. They gave me as many as I wanted. If you want to pay shipping, I'll try sending you one. I have more than enough. They're practically un-killable. I picked up some acans for my 10 gallon tank from a local reefer the other day and he had a tank that he was tearing down. he had a couple of those green/red majanos in it and the heater had been off for two weeks. They were doing just fine at room temperature.

There are 3 things that would survive a nuclear Apocalypse. Roaches, Aptaisia, and Majanos.

You know, I might just have to take you up on that! :D

We're not to far apart, and I bet they could survive 2 day shipping... YGPM :)

• 2 weeks later...
Islandoftiki

New critter found in the tank!!

An awesome little shrimp-like creature! He's about 6mm to 8mm in length. He hides out in the in the blue clove polyps and darts out like you see in the video and back again. He does this about every minute... over and over. Cool little dude.

Islandoftiki
Whoa, that's strange!

Wouldn't it be super cool if were actually a baby shrimp that somehow survived the planctonic stage and hitchhiked into the tank? It probably isn't. I'm sure it's just a shrimp-like amphipod, but time will tell. After some close observation, I have noticed at least 4 of these little guys. One is dark in color and hangs out in of of the mantis' caves. I'm sure they will make great mantis snacks. Kinda like popcorn!

It's a mysid shrimp

100% correct. Ive got tons of them. great food for fish. They also breed well if nothing eats them. watch ur tank tonight when lights out.you will probable see lots. great to have.

2012-02-25132325.jpg

Edited by boxboy
Islandoftiki
This tank is really looking good.

Thanks! FTS and FES shots going up tonight! I'm really happy with it. Whenever we have guests over, the pest tank is BY FAR the most popular. Funny, huh?

Thanks! FTS and FES shots going up tonight! I'm really happy with it. Whenever we have guests over, the pest tank is BY FAR the most popular. Funny, huh?

If you need any flat worms, just let me know. I have plenty in my 2.5 gallon tank.

Islandoftiki
If you need any flat worms, just let me know. I have plenty in my 2.5 gallon tank.

Thanks, but fortunately I have a pretty good flatworm population going right now! :-)

Ever thought you'd hear someone be happy to have flatworms?

Islandoftiki

Ok, my full tank, full equipment, and full mantis (hehe) shots are posted!

Here they are for those of you who aren't following the competition thread.

Full Tank Shot:

3F65508F-1.jpg

Two Full Equipment Shots:

41C7CD7B.jpg

6307706F.jpg

And the full MANTIS shot!

D7CB49E8-1.jpg

Cheers folks!

• Like 1

I have read this tanks thread on the PNWMAS site and its interesting to read the same basic information with a new twist.

This is a awesome tank and has peaked my interest in the world of pico :P

Islandoftiki
I have read this tanks thread on the PNWMAS site and its interesting to read the same basic information with a new twist.

This is a awesome tank and has peaked my interest in the world of pico :P

You know, you're welcome to come see it in person. Next time you're in p-town, let me know. As with all tanks, pictures just don't do it justice.

Islandoftiki
He does look black. Maybe it is the lighting, lol.

Nope, he's well and truly black. Actually, I think he's so dark green that he just looks black. Looking at some of the pictures of the G. Viridis, some are nearly black:

g_viridis2.jpg

Under really bright white light, you can see some of the same markings on his back that those lighter G. Viridis have. I think it would be almost impossible to capture on camera though.

I've been trying to get some better pictures using my big camera and lots of zoom so I don't disturb him. If you get withing a couple feet of the tank, he hides in his hole with only his head sticking out. If you're further away, he'll come all the way out. Plus, he's very active and rarely sits still unless he's in his cave.